Thoughts on the number of Josh Allen QB design runs

Patrick Duffy

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I’m not arguing who’s doing it, just that I hope they dial back a little 

That’s my point: if Josh is switching to it, there is no dialing it back. And, as a fan, I have to trust what he’s seeing in the D. 

Edited by TroutDog

49 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I agree. It's great that defenses have to prepare for it, I just though IMO they kinda wore it out a lot today, but in any event I'm glad it all worked out and very happy with the W.

Maybe than ran it a lot to make the Patriots prepare for it only to not use it next week? 

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Too many today. But it was partly because they clearly have a pitch count for old man Gore and they know Yeldon is not a good runner. So they were trying to manufacture run game other ways. They overused both the designed QB runs and the reverses and sweeps and in the 2nd half the Bengals were alive to those plays

Josh averaged over 5 yards per carry today and kept their D true. Again, it’s a gamble but when do we begin to trust the coaches instead of thinking arm chair QB’s (us) know more. 

Food for thought. 

1 hour ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I like the play once in a while to catch defenses off guard, but sometimes I think it's a play that is called a little too much. If I'm not mistaken with the ball getting knocked out today, last week it also happened(if I remember right).

Also just a little worried the kid is going to take a bad hit one of these go arounds and get hurt. Now don't get me wrong here, I like the play call once in a while, however (today for sure) I just thought it was called a little too much.

What do you think.

Josh's best runs aren't designed.  Let him run when the D gives it to him.

I like the play once in a while to catch defenses off guard, but sometimes I think it's a play that is called a little too much. If I'm not mistaken with the ball getting knocked out today, last week it also happened(if I remember right).

Also just a little worried the kid is going to take a bad hit one of these go arounds and get hurt. Now don't get me wrong here, I like the play call once in a while, however (today for sure) I just thought it was called a little too much.

What do you think.

We were down a RB this week. Chill

What do you think.

I agree they call it more than I would, but after seeing Allen’s ability in person today I see why they try and use it!

I don’t like calling it with 1:20 to in the half up 14-0. Why take more chances than you have to with Josh?

• Like (+1) 2

I like it in the red zone, but that’s it.

The frequency that we’re seeing it is an indication that the Bills still don’t have enough offensive weapons.  It’s unfortunate that we didn’t draft one of the WRs that were available in the second round this year.  There were a lot of good ones there for the taking.