Red Zone Defense

VW82

Our defense is the main reason we're currently 3-0 (besides the NFL schedule makers) but I worry about how we'll fair once we start facing better offenses. It seems like any time a team gets within our 20 yard line we give up a TD. We're 4-4 so far this year. Last year we had one of the worst red zone defenses in the league despite being 3rd in total yards allowed. 

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why we're so stout defensively everywhere on the field except near our own end zone? 

Just now, VW82 said:

Our defense is the main reason we're currently 3-0 (besides the NFL schedule makers) but I worry about how we'll fair once we start facing better offenses. It seems like any time a team gets within our 20 yard line we give up a TD. We're 4-4 so far this year. Last year we had one of the worst red zone defenses in the league despite being 3rd in total yards allowed. 

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why we're so stout defensively everywhere on the field except near our own end zone? 

I think they get conservative in pass rush inside the 20, choosing to rush four and drop the LBs into coverage.    I'd like to see them be a bit more aggressive in blitzing, but's that's a double-edged sword.   And the percetages seem to favor McD/Frasier's scheme...

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Lurker said:

I think they get conservative in pass rush inside the 20, choosing to rush four and drop the LBs into coverage.    I'd like to see them be a bit more aggressive in blitzing, but's that's a double-edged sword.   And the percetages seem to favor McD/Frasier's scheme...

I hadn't noticed that. Will have to pay more attention to the rush next time we're down there.

One thing I have noticed is we don't seem to be able to stop teams once they get in rhythm on a drive. Maybe it's as simple as us being too tired to resist after a long drive??

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I think part of it is that the Bills were "reeling" on most or all 4 of those. Momentum is real, and the Bills have been on the wrong end of that on those TDs.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

Our Defense lacks a true game changing pass rusher and it shows in situations where we want to only send 4 guys. There are times our defense can get pressure with 4, but in the red-zone and playing prevent is when having a guy who wins 1-on-1 every single time helps as it forces the OL to shift protection, causing the other guys to get better opportunities. 

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Our Defense lacks a true game changing pass rusher and it shows in situations where we want to only send 4 guys. There are times our defense can get pressure with 4, but in the red-zone and playing prevent is when having a guy who wins 1-on-1 every single time helps as it forces the OL to shift protection, causing the other guys to get better opportunities. 

It is this. We are a great team defense. But down in the redzone you need someone to come up and beat their guy 1 on 1. We don't have that person at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is this. We are a great team defense. But down in the redzone you need someone to come up and beat their guy 1 on 1. We don't have that person at the moment. 

I think we have some guys who can push the 1 on 1 matchups and win, but the difference is we don't have anyone who can force the OL to shift their entire blocking scheme. That's what we need. 

• Like (+1) 1

I view our defense as Top 10 with every level (DL, LB, Secondary) above average, but none of them elite. 

We’re not going to be pitching shutouts but the Bengals have a potent offense and were held to 17 points.   That wins you 90% of games in the NFL. 

I agree with most above that we should blitz more. 

2 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I think part of it is that the Bills were "reeling" on most or all 4 of those. Momentum is real, and the Bills have been on the wrong end of that on those TDs.

I’d probably get behind that idea. The scores we’ve given up have been when we were just flat in general. I’d say the rest of the time we have been super solid. Solid enough that we haven’t give up that many red zone drives to begin with. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

We were near the bottom of the league last year though so it's a problem .  The bend but don't break philosophy along with the vanilla coverage schemes exposes that work so well for them outside the red zone hurt them inside it.  You don't really see coverage break downs but just precise passing by the quarterbacks.  They have to be more aggressive both at the line of scrimmage and in the secondary.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They let a really bad team score 17 in a row in the second half, coughing up a 2 TD halftime lead.  There's no way it should have been that close at the end.

Nice to be 3-0

still so much improvement to go