Did I watch a different game? Allen under pressure all day & made play after play

Billsfan1972

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

I didn’t mind those plays as he wasn’t going backwards as much. It’s the ones were he stiff arms or is fighting off a tackle and “throws it away.”  Ive seen it quite a few times, just reels of hero ball.

The intentional grounding wasn't bad. He thought he was just throwing it away. The defender hit him just as he was throwing and it didn't reach the LOS. He could have thrown it farther and no penalty. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The intentional grounding wasn't bad. He thought he was just throwing it away. The defender hit him just as he was throwing and it didn't reach the LOS. He could have thrown it farther and no penalty. 

True. And I would have preferred that with his second attempt. At 14-0, he didn’t need to attempt a complete pass and intentional grounding probably keeps this game a lot less close.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Except the 30 yard great pass to Knox last week, and the rollout first down to Brown on third down on game winning drive were those kind of plays. 

Neither of those were anywhere near the same thing. He didn’t run backwards. He didn’t have a guy on him he was stiff arming WHILE he threw the ball.On those he escaped the pocket and was running laterally when he threw the ball.

Better decision making. That’s his biggest weakness, not accuracy. He’s got to learn where he can make plays and when he just needs to take the sack.

I don’t get excusing these plays. Every other player gets called out for their bad play but the Bills QB (whomever it is) always has fans who excuse everything.

He do a good things too but that doesn’t excuse absolute boneheaded decisions. He has to get better, he can’t keep making the same type of mistakes over and over again.

40 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If you believe in the kid you are going to have to live with a couple horrible picks...there’s a lot more good than bad right now. 

The guy is otherworldly athletic and still learning the position. He makes plays no other QB in the league can right now and sure he’s going to have to learn to limit the awful decisions, but it’s pretty obvious to me at least they’re a byproduct of his talent. Just normal growing pains imo

Concise and on-point evaluation in a few sentences that summarizes what we have in Allen that I needed a few hundred words to detail. Josh has all the talent in the world, but also makes too many mental mistakes and risky decisions that define the careers of gifted players like Good Rex/Bad Rex and Cam Newton. However, he's shown a clear ability to learn from his mistakes and continually improve that so many players who get by on their talent lack. Comparing him to a rare, rare player like Mahomes is a pointless exercise; it's exciting, and promising, to have such a talented, but flawed, QB who gets markedly better every day unlike the arrogant and immature Mayfield (who is, of course, also a second-year rookie and has plenty of time to put in the extra work, reflection, and preparation that is necessary for success at the highest level).

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ny33 said:

Concise and on-point evaluation in a few sentences that summarizes what we have in Allen that I needed a few hundred words to detail. Josh has all the talent in the world, but also makes too many mental mistakes and risky decisions that define the careers of gifted players like Good Rex/Bad Rex and Cam Newton. However, he's shown a clear ability to learn from his mistakes and continually improve that so many players who get by on their talent lack. Comparing him to a rare, rare player like Mahomes is a pointless exercise; it's exciting, and promising, to have such a talented, but flawed, QB who gets markedly better every day unlike the arrogant and immature Mayfield (who is, of course, also a second-year rookie and has plenty of time to put in the extra work, reflection, and preparation that is necessary for success at the highest level).

He already makes far, far more good plays than ones resulting from mental mistakes or risky decisions. He will only get better. I just feel there is a segment of this fan base that has to overanalyze every single play he makes - and seem to hold him to a different standard than other QBs.

He is going to be really good for this team for a long time

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

To say the game winning drive was all Allen and not credit Dawson Knox is the dumbest statement of the day

That play by him was cool.

him catching a 2nd TD in the first half that hit him in the hands would have been cooler. 

19 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He already makes far, far more good plays than ones resulting from mental mistakes or risky decisions. He will only get better. I just feel there is a segment of this fan base that has to overanalyze every single play he makes - and seem to hold him to a different standard than other QBs.

He is going to be really good for this team for a long time

I don't think we could ask for much more than what we've seen from Allen and believe we have someone special who puts in the necessary work to reach the highest level. I would much rather have a player who can make all of the throws and keeps getting better, with the occasional heart attack from an interception or poor ball protection, than what we've had since the ghost of Bledsoe (checkdowns, short throws into coverage, and moving the chains 5 or so yards on completions). I love that Josh and the offense prioritize a first down on 1st/2nd rather than setting up a 2-3 yard plunge on 3rd down as per the Bills of old. My main concern in the long term with his game is his lack of blind side awareness, which sets him up for excessive fumbles/injury, in part because he can take a hit and extend the play in the rare way that only Roethlisberger, Newton etc. can. His agility and recovery are world class, but I believe he will continue to have a high rate of fumbles if he doesn't go through more progressions and develop better pocket awareness.

Edited by ny33
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes & one stupid play under immense pressure.  

And yet again bad mid-game adjustments.....

Oh yea the game winning drive was all Allen.....

But sure tell me otherwise.

You're gonna get both with Allen. But he's won his last 4 starts.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Nothing disingenuous about it.  You think 3-0 against 0-9 teams is a sign of greatness it seems,.  I do not.  They don't need to beat NE, nor did I say they needed to. But playing against a quality opponent will show what they are more than beating bottom feeders.  You don't agree, that's fine.

Jets and Giants do suck.  I feel like the Bengals are on par with the Bills even though they are 0-3.  

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

I agree.  Which is why that game will be a good barometer for the Bills.

I don't think so.  I think it moves the needle towards the complete opposite side.  We are going from playing some of the worst, though I don't think the Bengals are that bad, to playing the best.  The Pats have a way of making any non elite team look like utter dog crap.  We are not elite.  We are perhaps wild card contenders.  In a few other divisions we might be division contenders, but this team is not a super bowl contender.  At least not yet.  So, I will not get too down on this team if they lose next week.  Not even if they get blown out.  That's what the Pats do.  They blow teams out.

Edited by Scott7975

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

But one of the most important attributes is consistency!! ;)

?.  It looks like that's just part of his game however, the difference between that bullet he delivered on the run earlier in the game and that blooper he delivered for the pick  was night and day. I think he jhas to try the bullet pass, and if it gets picked off,  oh well. But the bloopers into triple coverage,  come on, just stop it!

The problem is that the same desire to make a play that resulted in the under-pressure passes to Knox and Beasley last week that everybody was in awe of is the same instinct that causes him to throw that dumb interception today. I'm not sure you can have one without the other. 

Certainly it would help if he could cut such moves to a minimum. And if the o-line could pass protect more consistently. But all in all, I think he's made significant progress and is proving to be strong in the clutch. He clearly has some strength of character to come back from his and the team's mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 1