Did I watch a different game? Allen under pressure all day & made play after play

Billsfan1972

If you believe in the kid you are going to have to live with a couple horrible picks...there’s a lot more good than bad right now. 

The guy is otherworldly athletic and still learning the position. He makes plays no other QB in the league can right now and sure he’s going to have to learn to limit the awful decisions, but it’s pretty obvious to me at least they’re a byproduct of his talent. Just normal growing pains imo

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He was "pressured" because he held the ball too long staring at receivers.

He did. He was indecisive compared to weeks 1 and 2. I think the two Cincy corners were excellent and they mixed up coverages well.  I think he struggled to read them.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

The interception was terrible and inexcusable.  I love Allen and I'm kind of a homer for the guy, but that was a bone-headed play that single-handedly changed the entire course of the game.  My guess is that Allen has the Brett Favre gene that will never be coached out of him and we'll all just have to get used to a play like this once in a while, but that doesn't minimize how bad it was.

And honestly, he looked kind of rattled on the next couple of drives after that.  I can live with the occasional stupid play, but guys like Favre and Kelly seemed to forget about them after 30 seconds or so.  Allen could do better in this area.

That said, he looked very sharp in the first half and was clutch on the last drive.  No worries on my end.

It actually did not change the entire course of the game......cuz we won

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The fumble along the sideline was a bad play and we were very lucky not to turn the ball over.

The INT was beyond horrible.

Missed a wide open Zay Jones for an easy TD.

Made some nice throws; made some tough runs.

A mix of good, great, bad, and really bad.  As usual.

Josh Allen vs. Bengals:

289 total yards 1 tds 1 int.

passing 23/36 243yds. 1td 1int

rushing 9/46 5.1 ypc

Most important stat: buffalo 3-0

looks like a fine day to me. I’ll take that interception  once in a while because his positives overwhelmingly outweigh his negatives.

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Every miserable curmudgeon complaining now needs to flip the radio onto WGR550 and soak in every word Nate Geary is saying. 

large.434C968E-E52F-4579-8EA2-BB44491DDCCC.gif.9cb03231c88c040e5a1f0e7b4ff78763.gifwe won!

25 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I was relieved to beat another bad team and it's better to be 3-0 than not.

But I see things for what they actually are and I'll be happy when the Bills are legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

Until then I'm not going to hand out free cotton candy and puppies and fart rainbows.

But you guys are certainly welcome to do that if that's your jam.

large.ECB63277-A14B-4D3D-B658-79653B02460E.gif.e4133603cd7cfc1bf4c795fbd979a453.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If you believe in the kid you are going to have to live with a couple horrible picks...there’s a lot more good than bad right now. 

The guy is otherworldly athletic and still learning the position. He makes plays no other QB in the league can right now and sure he’s going to have to learn to limit the awful decisions, but it’s pretty obvious to me at least they’re a byproduct of his talent. Just normal growing pains imo

patrick mahomes other guy can make throws like that.

But anyways take the good from the bad agree.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

patrick mahomes other guy can make throws like that.

But anyways take the good from the bad agree.

True

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He did. He was indecisive compared to weeks 1 and 2. I think the two Cincy corners were excellent and they mixed up coverages well.  I think he struggled to read them.  

Credit to Cincy d line too, they were plenty active

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, skibum said:

Even some of his completions were a little terrifying today.

The Bengals coverage was very good today and their pass rush better still. Their coaches did a good job taking away a lot of what the Bills like to do in the passing game, and while the Bills' O hurt them on the edge early they corrected that.

Have we noticed yet that the Bills horrible drives usually start with an Allen designed run? Let's quit that crap.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

True

Credit to Cincy d line too, they were plenty active

That front 4 is good. Atkins is still a stud, Dunlap can play, Hubbard was a 1st rounder and Billings was a borderline 1st rounder as well who fell due to injury and off field issues. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

The Bengals coverage was very good today and their pass rush better still. Their coaches did a good job taking away a lot of what the Bills like to do in the passing game, and while the Bills' O hurt them on the edge early they corrected that.

Have we noticed yet that the Bills horrible drives usually start with an Allen designed run? Let's quit that crap.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That front 4 is good. Atkins is still a stud, Dunlap can play, Hubbard was a 1st rounder and Billings was a borderline 1st rounder as well who fell due to injury and off field issues. 

Right. People should ask Russell Wilson and the Seahawks how easy it was to beat Cincy at home in week one when they escaped  with a one point, come from behind win...

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yup. Josh had very little time. Yes he held it too long a few times and made some bad decisions. But he eludes guys right on him all the time that are sacks against most QBs. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yup. Josh had very little time. Yes he held it too long a few times and made some bad decisions. But he eludes guys right on him all the time that are sacks against most QBs. 

You got it. While the Knox play was huge, the underrated play of the game on that drive was when Allen was literally grasped for a sack and tore away, scrambled left and got a first down. That's just where a defense feels like, we can't do anything about this.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

My problem with Josh is he does the, stiff arm fall back 5-10 yards and still attempt a throw. Hero ball. He needs to cut that out. It doesn’t work. It hasn’t worked. And he continues to do it.

Except the 30 yard great pass to Knox last week, and the rollout first down to Brown on third down on game winning drive were those kind of plays. 

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

You got it. While the Knox play was huge, underrated play of the game on that drive was when Allen was literally grasped for a sack and tore away, scrambled left and got a first down. That's just where a defense feels like, we can't do anything about this.

Exactly. It was a huge play. Both the escape and the run for the first. Not many guys do that. It's a huge part of his game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Except the 30 yard great pass to Knox last week, and the rollout first down to Brown on third down on game winning drive were those kind of plays. 

I get that, and they were sort of the same but to my eye not quite. He’s rolling instead of going backwards. 

The intentional grounding and interception were identical plays. And he had a similar play in preseason. Just needs to learn to throw it out of bounds. I’d rather an intentional grounding than a turnover. Live to fight another day!

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

I get that, and they were sort of the same but to my eye not quite. He’s rolling instead of going backwards. 

The intentional grounding and interception were identical plays. And he had a similar play in preseason. Just needs to learn to throw it out of bounds. I’d rather an intentional grounding than a turnover. Live to fight another day!

Absolutely. The INT was intolerable. And he gets credit for doing bad things when it is complete, like today he had one to Sweeney and one to Cole iIRC that were ill-advised but he completed them. It's really hard to ask a guy like that to always make the right decision. The INT was just grossly bad though. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Absolutely. The INT was intolerable. And he gets credit for doing bad things when it is complete, like today he had one to Sweeney and one to Cole iIRC that were ill-advised but he completed them. It's really hard to ask a guy like that to always make the right decision. The INT was just grossly bad though. 

I didn’t mind those plays as he wasn’t going backwards as much. It’s the ones were he stiff arms or is fighting off a tackle and “throws it away.”  Ive seen it quite a few times, just reels of hero ball.