Rams vs Chargers stadium issue

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s the owner’s fault for not providing enough money toward a stadium in SD. The nfl wouldn’t let them keep playing at Qualcomm which is a pit. He had the option to stay but wanted too much from the taxpayers. State of California is broke so that wasn’t happening. They absolutely should have stayed. He couldn’t resist this great deal of being a cheap tenant in Kronke’s palace. But they can’t sell their share of PSLs which are like 4x less than the rams PSLs. 

That's partially correct.  The latest ballot initiative was to raise the hotel tax (similar to what Arizona did), and the only money out of San Diego residents pocket would be if they decided to stay in the hotel themselves.  The ballot initiative failed in a vote.  Back in the early 2000s, the Chargers offered pay for the entire stadium if the city of San Diego would grant them the land for free to build it.  The city said no.

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

That's partially correct.  The latest ballot initiative was to raise the hotel tax (similar to what Arizona did), and the only money out of San Diego residents pocket would be if they decided to stay in the hotel themselves.  The ballot initiative failed in a vote.  Back in the early 2000s, the Chargers offered pay for the entire stadium if the city of San Diego would grant them the land for free to build it.  The city said no.

However the padres got petco park. They have sucked for years

On 9/22/2019 at 9:41 AM, clayboy54 said:

Many times. The past few years it has changed. Stepping over poor homeless people, filth and smell. Granted this is in cities. I really believe it is a sore example of state and local government ineptitude. It’s a real shame in an otherwise beautiful place.

You expect the govt to support these people?

I guess we have a different opinion of America and freedom. 

Cali is beautiful. Most beautiful part of land in the world.  It is a very special place. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chill said:

Cali is beautiful. Most beautiful part of land in the world.  It is a very special place. 

Its special, in a very odd way, but part of the reason California is broke is because of the out of control subsidies.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2019 at 9:41 AM, clayboy54 said:

Many times. The past few years it has changed. Stepping over poor homeless people, filth and smell. Granted this is in cities. I really believe it is a sore example of state and local government ineptitude. It’s a real shame in an otherwise beautiful place.

You're right. I lived here for 60 years and I drive all over DTLA every day. There are 17 new homeless every day. 50,000+ and growing. The state will need Billions to clean up this so called Tinsel Town. As far as the secret vote for the stadium option, Goodell knew going in it was to be the Rams +1 as they voted on. Kroenke will be responsible for a majority of the $5B and Spanos won't have to cover much. They were never getting public money for this spaceship stadium. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2019 at 11:07 AM, ALF said:

Chargers could have moved to San Antonio .  The  Alamodome is a 64,000-seat multi-purpose stadium . They should have never left San Diego .

It was never considered, really.  And the Alamodome is almost 30 years old.  Plus, Jerry Jones.

Longtime L.A. sportscaster Fred Roggin says Kroenke was anticipating the Chargers would generate close to $400 million from the sale of Personal Seat Licenses (PSLs). Instead, the real figure is turning out to be tens or even hundreds of millions short of the target, and Kroenke is the one responsible for making up the difference.

Costs for the Inglewood Stadium, which will be called SoFi Stadium after a sponsorship deal was announced earlier this month, are skyrocketing to almost $5 billion.

The facility was initially expected to cost $1.9 billion. Kroenke is responsible for everything but the money the Chargers generate in PSL sales and a $200 million NFL G-6 loan. The Chargers, though, get to keep all their gameday revenues when they play in the new building.

https://www.10news.com/sports/sports-news/report-stadium-tension-rising-between-rams-and-chargers-owners

• Thank you (+1) 1

Chargers could have moved to San Antonio .  The  Alamodome is a 64,000-seat multi-purpose stadium . They should have never left San Diego .

Completely agree. I’m sure San Antonio would have subsidized a new stadium to be built as well. And like you said, you have the Alamodome in the heart of downtown in the meantime. I’ve been pining the table for San Antonio to have a team ever since I spent a few years there. Their support of the AAF just furthers the point. They need a team. This two teams in one city thing is just stupid. 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How could anyone say LA doesn’t deserve 2 football teams? :lol:

Does this mean 26% of households in Buffalo were watching the game? I’ve always wondered what percent of houses watch the Bills on any given Sunday. 

And a town that would probably support pro football WAY better than LA, especially an LA with 2 teams.

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

Thanks, Donald. So, you only watch Fox?

I mean, is what @clayboy54 said untrue?

16 hours ago, Chill said:

I went to visit my friend who moved out to Orange County last year.  He bought a 3 bedroom townhouse  paid $560M for it.  I have been to NYC many times & they have nothing on the traffic in SoCal.  Ridiculous.  No matter what time of day you went out there were traffic jams both ways.  We went to Santa Monica Pier one day, I think from his map quest it stated it was 28 miles away.  It took us over 2 hours to get home.  Visited Hollywood one day.  There were some really shady parts there.  Homeless people line up all the way down a few streets in tents.  I never seen anything like it.  Huntington Beach was awesome(I wouldn't mind living there) but for the most part the area was dirty & not impressive.  California is a sh*thole imo with natural disasters looming over the people's head all year round(mudslides, earthquakes, forest fires etc....) .   The ocean looked dirty & cold(I would never let my kids swim in there.)  People from California think it is the greatest place in the world because they have the nicest weather in the country.  But if you take the weather factor out of it, it really is a lousy place to live.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

California is not broke. Some people too easily believe the broken record mouthpieces that pollute the media...

https://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2018/dec/18/jerry-brown/does-california-have-budget-surplus-nearly-30-bill/

Politifact are partisan hacks as they ignore the elephant in the room called unfunded liabilities. You simply cannot ignore the massive unfunded pension liability.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, YoloinOhio said:

It’s the owner’s fault for not providing enough money toward a stadium in SD. The nfl wouldn’t let them keep playing at Qualcomm which is a pit. He had the option to stay but wanted too much from the taxpayers. State of California is broke so that wasn’t happening. They absolutely should have stayed. He couldn’t resist this great deal of being a cheap tenant in Kronke’s palace. But they can’t sell their share of PSLs which are like 4x less than the rams PSLs. 

A pit and and a huge MTBE plume which runs onto the property from the kinder Morgan aboveground fuel holding tanks adjacent the property.

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I went to visit my friend who moved out to Orange County last year.  He bought a 3 bedroom townhouse  paid $560M for it.  I have been to NYC many times & they have nothing on the traffic in SoCal.  Ridiculous.  No matter what time of day you went out there were traffic jams both ways.  We went to Santa Monica Pier one day, I think from his map quest it stated it was 28 miles away.  It took us over 2 hours to get home.  Visited Hollywood one day.  There were some really shady parts there.  Homeless people line up all the way down a few streets in tents.  I never seen anything like it.  Huntington Beach was awesome(I wouldn't mind living there) but for the most part the area was dirty & not impressive.  California is a sh*thole imo with natural disasters looming over the people's head all year round(mudslides, earthquakes, forest fires etc....) .   The ocean looked dirty & cold(I would never let my kids swim in there.)  People from California think it is the greatest place in the world because they have the nicest weather in the country.  But if you take the weather factor out of it, it really is a lousy place to live.  

I lived out there. The weather trumps everything out there.