We COULD HAVE activated International Pathway standout Wade this year after all.

StHustle

3 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Wrong. After his exemption year, Efe Obada has made the Panthers 53 for consecutive years. Perhaps the article refers to the Patriots specifically?

Correct! I can only imagine they didn't include him because he had previously been signed to the Jags practice squad? Or you may be right and they only think about  the Pats*

18 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Wrong. After his exemption year, Efe Obada has made the Panthers 53 for consecutive years. Perhaps the article refers to the Patriots specifically?

8 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Correct! I can only imagine they didn't include him because he had previously been signed to the Jags practice squad? Or you may be right and they only think about  the Pats*

WRONG. He was already in the NFL with several teams before the program even existed

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

WRONG. He was already in the NFL with several teams before the program even existed

It's always good to be very confident when you are wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efe_Obada

On May 25, 2017, Obada was signed by the Carolina Panthers,[15] through the new NFL's International Player Pathway program, that guaranteed him a position on the team, after it granted an 11th practice squad slot to all four NFC South clubs (the division was selected in a random draw),[16] so they could sign an international player. As part of the program conditions, he was ineligible to be promoted to the 53-man roster during the regular season. He was waived by the Panthers on September 1, 2017, and was re-signed to the practice squad.[17][18] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Panthers on January 8, 2018.[19]

After a strong preseason, Obada became the first player from the NFL International Pathway program to make a 53-man roster.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Dean said:

It's always good to be very confident when you are wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efe_Obada

He doesn't count.

From NFL.com:

In 2018, Efe Obada became the first player from the International Pathway Program to make a 53-man roster with the Carolina Panthers, but he didn't initially enter the NFL through the program. He had signed as a free agent with the Cowboys in 2015 after playing only five games of amateur football with the London Warriors, then was on the Cowboys practice squad before spending time in the 2016 offseason with the Chiefs and Falcons. In 2017, Obada was part of the first class of players in the International Pathway Program, which gave him additional time to develop with the Panthers.

According to this article it seems as though Jordan Mailata also made a 53 man roster via the IPP program. But he was drafted in the 7th round:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Player_Pathway

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

He doesn't count.

From NFL.com:

In 2018, Efe Obada became the first player from the International Pathway Program to make a 53-man roster with the Carolina Panthers, but he didn't initially enter the NFL through the program. He had signed as a free agent with the Cowboys in 2015 after playing only five games of amateur football with the London Warriors, then was on the Cowboys practice squad before spending time in the 2016 offseason with the Chiefs and Falcons. In 2017, Obada was part of the first class of players in the International Pathway Program, which gave him additional time to develop with the Panthers.

As I mentioned in my first post in the thread, perhaps he isn't counted because he signed with several teams and was on the Jags practice squad at one. But he is the 1st player from the program to make an NFL roster. That is not in dispute.

Both Odaba and Mailata were IPP players and made a teams 53 man roster. You can discount the way they came into the program, but the facts speak for themselves. 

Edited by The Dean

Make that three previous players from the IPP program who have made it to 53 man rosters prior to Johnson:

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/2019-INTERNATIONAL-PLAYER-PATHWAY-PROGRAM--PARTICIPANTS-TO-SHOWCASE-SKILLS-AT-PRO-DAY-IN-TAMPA.aspx

Obada, Mailata and Böhringer. Both Mailata and Böhringer were drafted. So perhaps Johnson is the first participant of the IPP program to be both placed with a team (not via FA or draft) and had not had previous NFL experience. That's a mouthful. 

Maybe if Wade makes it he can be the first IPP participant of the IPP program to be both placed with a team (not via FA or draft) and had not had previous NFL experience and isn't a cheating Patriot*.

5 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

Kill me now.

I can send you a link for someone who can take care of that. You use TOR, right?  ;)

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

Make that three previous players from the IPP program who have made it to 53 man rosters prior to Johnson:

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/2019-INTERNATIONAL-PLAYER-PATHWAY-PROGRAM--PARTICIPANTS-TO-SHOWCASE-SKILLS-AT-PRO-DAY-IN-TAMPA.aspx

Obada, Mailata and Böhringer. Both Mailata and Böhringer were drafted. So perhaps Johnson is the first participant of the IPP program to be both placed with a team (not via FA or draft) and had not had previous NFL experience. That's a mouthful. 

Maybe if Wade makes it he can be the first IPP participant of the IPP program to be both placed with a team (not via FA or draft) and had not had previous NFL experience and isn't a cheating Patriot*.

If any of the formers are former rugbyers I think Wade is disqualified.

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

If any of the formers are former rugbyers I think Wade is disqualified.

I think the issue here is Johnson was probably the first to not be used as the 11th man exemption on the PS. So he is clearly the first from the program to be called up from the PS in that first year. Just my guess of course.

• Like (+1) 1