What's the appeal with Notre Dame Football?

Another Fan

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yup, they'll need help, even if they go 11-1.  But it's still Sept so lots can and usually does happen.

They are done, they are always propped up too much when they win and hammered too hard when they lose.

Lots of people who just like to hitch on to a winning team/program.  You can very likely cross-reference Notre Dame and Yankees fans and get a ton of matches.  

They remain independent for their $$$ TV contract, but it really allows them to cherry-pick a favorable schedule most of the time... although It does seem they have started to challenge themselves more since the 4-team playoff started, or at least the past 2-3 seasons.

It always seems like the burden of proof every season is for Notre Dame to prove they are not a top-5 team... yet, they rarely beat anyone in the top 10

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Lots of people who just like to hitch on to a winning team/program.  You can very likely cross-reference Notre Dame and Yankees fans and get a ton of matches.  

They remain independent for their $$$ TV contract, but it really allows them to cherry-pick a favorable schedule most of the time... although It does seem they have started to challenge themselves more since the 4-team playoff started, or at least the past 2-3 seasons.

It always seems like the burden of proof every season is for Notre Dame to prove they are not a top-5 team... yet, they rarely beat anyone in the top 10

ND and the Yankees had national appeal through the many decades by national exposure on radio and The Game of the Week on TV. ND games on radio were broadcast all over the US

Not sure if fans under 30 care about the school as much 

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

ND played well against UGA on the road but they don’t have the speed. UGA didn’t look great, however. 

It isn't just speed Yolo. Georgia is very good. Their offensive linemen are fierce and huge. Few if any teams will be able to play well against them. Fromm is a very smart QB with very good receivers, obviously solid protection, and a fine ground game.

Obviously I am not a ND Fan but they gave Georgia all they could handle. Their defense gave all they had against this monster offense.

Georgia is right in the running for the title imo. ND came within 6 on the road. ND is good and MUCH better than I thought.

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unfortunately I think they are out of the playoff now even with the “good loss”. Without a conf championship game, they pretty much need to go undefeated to get in. 

It is still very early & there is a ton of football left to be played.  Crazy things happen in November.  ND got their loss out early in the season. Kelly just became a big Georgia fan because they need them to keep winning.

40 minutes ago, Gordio said:

It is still very early & there is a ton of football left to be played.  Crazy things happen in November.  ND got their loss out early in the season. Kelly just became a big Georgia fan because they need them to keep winning.

an undefeated ND team would be in for sure

a one-loss is probably 12th in line to get the nod

media LOVES them way too much until the first loss and then BAM!!!

usually a weak schedule, no major rivals to draw national interest, no CCG to build hype for them

51 minutes ago, row_33 said:

usually a weak schedule, no major rivals to draw national interest, no CCG to build hype for them

Agreed, but weird thing happen in November.  A lot would have to break right though for them to get in.

Notre Dame hung in there against Georgia better than I expected. Once Georgia got up 20-10 I thought they were going to fold up like years past. They didn't and put themselves in position to win that game on the last drive. the penalties cost ND big time, but a lot of that can be attributed to the deafening crowd noise in Athens. Their defense is legit and the offense did alright against the speed of UGA considering the injuries they have. It's a "good loss" in the eyes of many, but a loss none the less. The only way ND can get in now is if they run the table going 11-1, UGA wins the SEC beating Bama by a margin more than they beat ND, and there aren't 3 other undefeated conference champions vying for the remaining spots. Even then I don't know if they would get the nod over Alabama because it's Alabama. 

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

The Notre Dame cupcake schedule is kinda a myth... Sure they don't play an SEC schedule but it's far from soft

They play USC and Michigan almost yearly, Stanford alot . Virginia tech the last few years , navy is always a tough game cus the triple option

And I'd say ND USC is a pretty big rivalry ,just doenst get the press cus USC hasn't been USC recently

29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Notre Dame cupcake schedule is kinda a myth... Sure they don't play an SEC schedule but it's far from soft

They play USC and Michigan almost yearly, Stanford alot . Virginia tech the last few years , navy is always a tough game cus the triple option

And I'd say ND USC is a pretty big rivalry ,just doenst get the press cus USC hasn't been USC recently

USC/ND was many moons ago a major rivalry but hasn't meant anything for a long time now, same with Oklahoma/Nebraska, I miss both of them...  :(

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Notre Dame hung in there against Georgia better than I expected. Once Georgia got up 20-10 I thought they were going to fold up like years past. They didn't and put themselves in position to win that game on the last drive. the penalties cost ND big time, but a lot of that can be attributed to the deafening crowd noise in Athens. Their defense is legit and the offense did alright against the speed of UGA considering the injuries they have. It's a "good loss" in the eyes of many, but a loss none the less. The only way ND can get in now is if they run the table going 11-1, UGA wins the SEC beating Bama by a margin more than they beat ND, and there aren't 3 other undefeated conference champions vying for the remaining spots. Even then I don't know if they would get the nod over Alabama because it's Alabama. 

they are toast in the playoff picture, perfection is required of them

they have no more strength politically when it comes down to final decisions on a final four, unless they are undefeated

Edited by row_33

As some others have said, ND was really good when I was growing up and first getting into football(late 80s early 90s). They were always on TV and we didn't have a local Div1 football team at the time. The Irish/Catholic thing was never anything to me. Just became a fan over time. They were the "good guys" in the tough matchups against Miami/Florida st etc. so I guess that's why i leaned that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

My great grandfather who I never met was born and raised in South Buffalo. Because of the Catholic thing, and the Irish thing, had season tickets most of his adult life and took the train to South Bend every Saturday.

Yep the Irish thing was another reason they have a S. Buffalo fan base 

• Like (+1) 1

Easy enough.   Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State are the three teams that are consistently on television in the Northeast every weekend.  You watch enough of those games and they become the teams you cheer on.  There is something very cool about Notre Dame's uniforms, the play like a champion today ritual.   I enjoy them and could care less if they win in the College Football playoff.   Aside from Alabama and Clemson no one else really does. 

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Easy enough.   Michigan, Notre Dame, and Ohio State are the three teams that are consistently on television in the Northeast every weekend.  You watch enough of those games and they become the teams you cheer on.  There is something very cool about Notre Dame's uniforms, the play like a champion today ritual.   I enjoy them and could care less if they win in the College Football playoff.   Aside from Alabama and Clemson no one else really does. 

simple, all 3 are just so *****ing great every season

:D

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

I get so sick of the ridiculous “it’s good for college football when Notre Dame is good” BS.  This is one of the main reasons I root against them every year.

Credibility would’ve been enhanced by joining the Big Ten

the $grab on joining the ACC for hoops made it loopier

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.