This is a must win game for the Bills.

Tipster19

The term "must-win"is a completely subjective term, invented by fans to make themselves feel as if their rooting interest controls the action on the field. 

Must win for what? 

They must win it to clinch the division? Make the playoffs? Secure home field advantage? None of that is true.

Josh Allen has not even quarterbacked a full seasons worth of games yet. He is going to lay eggs at some point in time. Possibly this weekend, as the team historically struggles with Cincinnati, for whatever reason. 

The only "must" I'd associate with this game is that it's a "must approach with perspective" game for fans, as if they win, they beat what will be a banged up 0-3 team, and all of Bufs wins thus far could potentially be against teams with a combined 0-9 record. And if they lose, they're losing to a veteran quarterback who has had success playing in Orchard Park and it doesn't mean Josh Allen's career is over, or it's time to start Barkley. Yes, even if he throws 5 picks in a blowout loss. It happens.

The AFC looks pretty gosh darn weak this season.

Pats and Chiefs look like division winners, and potential first round byes.

The other divisions are up for grabs, and the teams that come in second in those divisions likely won't be very good.

Any of Buffalo, Cleveland, Baltimore, Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Indianapolis, Oakland, San Diego, and even Pittsburgh could be in the mix for those 4 spots, and so far Buffalo has looked as good or better than all of them. 

If you can just come to terms with the fact that Buffalo has a good (maybe great) young team with a good (maybe great) young quarterback led by a good (maybe great) head coach, built by a good (maybe great) GM, then you can maybe stop stressing about week 3 games. 

Pats fans go to bed at halftime of prime time games. They're jaded to winning. Not saying Buffalo is at that point, but I am saying that I believe they are past the era of worrying about the wheels coming off every week of the season. They'll win some, they'll lose some, but I think when it's all said and done, for the next decade they're going to win more than they lose every year, and it's time as fans to maybe start enjoying this hobby, instead of fretting about it.

There will be plenty of playoff games to stress about in the years to come. Save what's left of your hair for those. Enjoy these early season games for what they are--they're not the end of the world, I promise.

• Like (+1) 1

Every NFL game is worth 10 MLB games....every game is important....I like the 1-0 every week philosophy.  

In the NFL, a team, to put itself in a position where a game is not a must win, must win a lot of games.  This is my Yogi Berra philosophy statement of the day.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

The term "must-win"is a completely subjective term, invented by fans to make themselves feel as if their rooting interest controls the action on the field. 

Must win for what? 

They must win it to clinch the division? Make the playoffs? Secure home field advantage? None of that is true.

Josh Allen has not even quarterbacked a full seasons worth of games yet. He is going to lay eggs at some point in time. Possibly this weekend, as the team historically struggles with Cincinnati, for whatever reason. 

The only "must" I'd associate with this game is that it's a "must approach with perspective" game for fans, as if they win, they beat what will be a banged up 0-3 team, and all of Bufs wins thus far could potentially be against teams with a combined 0-9 record. And if they lose, they're losing to a veteran quarterback who has had success playing in Orchard Park and it doesn't mean Josh Allen's career is over, or it's time to start Barkley. Yes, even if he throws 5 picks in a blowout loss. It happens.

The AFC looks pretty gosh darn weak this season.

Pats and Chiefs look like division winners, and potential first round byes.

The other divisions are up for grabs, and the teams that come in second in those divisions likely won't be very good.

Any of Buffalo, Cleveland, Baltimore, Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Indianapolis, Oakland, San Diego, and even Pittsburgh could be in the mix for those 4 spots, and so far Buffalo has looked as good or better than all of them. 

If you can just come to terms with the fact that Buffalo has a good (maybe great) young team with a good (maybe great) young quarterback led by a good (maybe great) head coach, built by a good (maybe great) GM, then you can maybe stop stressing about week 3 games. 

Pats fans go to bed at halftime of prime time games. They're jaded to winning. Not saying Buffalo is at that point, but I am saying that I believe they are past the era of worrying about the wheels coming off every week of the season. They'll win some, they'll lose some, but I think when it's all said and done, for the next decade they're going to win more than they lose every year, and it's time as fans to maybe start enjoying this hobby, instead of fretting about it.

There will be plenty of playoff games to stress about in the years to come. Save what's left of your hair for those. Enjoy these early season games for what they are--they're not the end of the world, I promise.

I frett about every game. My soccer team once did an undefeated season. They were great. I still fretted about every game. 

The Bills will win tomorrow though. Won't be easy but they will win. 

Edited by GunnerBill

I don't think 10-6 gets it done for you this year without tie-breakers. The Browns and the Chargers are early teams to be wary of taking those spots and the Jags/Houston certainly look like they'll be in the conversation. There's maybe some other teams that will right the ship too.

This is a must-win game not just for standing purposes, but it's time we win all the games we're supposed to win like it's no big deal.

this is the biggest gimme so far

losing this will be very very disappointing for many reasons...

17 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don't think 10-6 gets it done for you this year without tie-breakers. The Browns and the Chargers are early teams to be wary of taking those spots and the Jags/Houston certainly look like they'll be in the conversation. There's maybe some other teams that will right the ship too.

This is a must-win game not just for standing purposes, but it's time we win all the games we're supposed to win like it's no big deal.

if half the NFL is this rancid, may take 12 wins to get a WC, happened a few years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'd be shocked if there are three 10 win teams in the wildcard race. I have been less impressed with the Chargers than I expected. They are missing too many pieces I think.

...I see it (FWIW) as more of a statement game......coming off 2 road wins and the home opener is the perfect scenario to silence the detractors and make "The Hat" as an unwanted venue for opponents like yesteryear.....SIXTY MINUTES of football versus a 3rd quarter "turtle snooze fest" please...........