This is a must win game for the Bills.

Tipster19

Not with this coaching staff.  You could still talk me into the playoffs even if we lose our next three.  Five probably wins against the Fins (2x), Skins, Broncos, and Jets.  The Browns, Steelers, and Eagles don't seem as formidable as they did before the season started.  Any given Sunday (or Thanksgiving) against the Ravens, Pats, and Cowboys.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

It's not exactly a must win, though it is.  Losing this game would suck...it is a game the Bills are supposed to win and should win.  Plus the Bengals are in the AFC, so that can count in a tie breaker scenario for a WC spot and seed positioning.

This is where I'm at ???

Logically? = No! Still plenty of time and pathways to the playoffs

Emotionally? = Yes! A loss would be a huge blow to the psyche of the team, and especially to the current "high" of its fan base.

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

2-0 and now the home opener with the Patriots on the horizon. Matter of fact forget the Patriots, this is a must win gam me period. After having the first 2 games under their belts without a loss the Bills have a great opportunity to spring forward and start putting a bit of separation between them and most of the other AFC teams.

Losing this game would be a big oops. Regardless what happens with the Patriots the Bills need to prove that they can win games that they are suppose to and not shoot themselves in the foot otherwise they will be playing to being the same old Bills. Winning this game, regardless what happens in the Patriot game and then beating the Titans on the road would propel and advance the Bills to a level that they haven’t been to in decades. On top of all that having to play the Dolphins twice and ending the season at home against the Jets would just about solidify the play-offs. Any other games that they win, especially against AFC teams would start to give the Bills the idea that they can almost threaten for the division but make no mistake about, it all starts right here right now against the Bengals. Go Bills!

6 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Had they lost to the Jets, I would say it's really close to a "must win" if must win means they're not making the playoffs if they lose.

I think there'd be a reasonable path to the playoffs even if they lose this one.

6 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

A must win? No sir. The season is not doomed with a loss. Stop setting up your tent on the ledge. Makes it that much more tempting to jump off if they lay an egg on Sunday. 

I get what you guys are saying, LS and Sig, but I think I am going to go with Tipster on this one.

a couple of years ago, when looking at the schedule I thought the Bengals game in week 5 was a must win, given the way everything played out.

We lost, but still got into the playoffs.  However, we needed that miracle by the bengals as we were out looking in.  I believe I’m sure that Bengals win would have made the Bengals/Baltimore moot.  Yes, the ravens and bills both would have had one more afc win, but I think we would still take it on tie breakers as we did.

...I don’t want any more miracle finishes or backing into the playoffs.  I think it is a must win.  If the don’t they must pick something else up somewhere down the line to make up for it.  That something else is likely a win against the Patriots, who we haven’t beaten with Brady at the helm since 2011.

I really don’t want to be in the position of we don’t HAVE to beat the Bengals but they we kind of MUST beat the Patriots.

other must win games are Dolphins (2), Jets, Washington, Denver...in total that get you to 8 with the 2-0 start.  They need 2 more (at least) somewhere with the Pats (2), @ Titans, Eagles, @ Cleveland, @ Dallas, Baltimore, @ Pittsburgh...and I like the odds of a pick’em in two of those games instead having to win 3 or 4 from there.

No such thing as a must win game in week 3, but this is a game that a good football team does not lose. That's going to be the deciding factor for me this week. A win is going to have me leaning toward optimism for the rest of the year. Yet ANOTHER disappointing loss to the Bengals and I'll be expecting same old Bills

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Had they lost to the Jets, I would say it's really close to a "must win" if must win means they're not making the playoffs if they lose.

I think there'd be a reasonable path to the playoffs even if they lose this one.

Ultimately the standard expected defines the need...

if ok sliding in at 9-7 and seeing if we get tie breaks etc.... we can drop this and even a few of these.

if hoping to play I’m buffalo in January, not much room for error in a conference game at home that you should win. It’s crucial to take this victories as otherwise you have to start sweeping teams like NE to make up for it and I’d much rather expect to split NE and beat Cincy at home when penciling in the path to the playoffs  

• Like (+1) 1

You never know.  Josh Allen hasn't had a stinker of a game in a while.  He's young and will still have a few of those to get through.  Everyone's assuming he's going to keep playing as well or better than he has been, but that's not a sure thing.

If the Bills lose this game the sky will fall, everyone will be depressed and we'll have a week of threads asking if McDermott will be fired by season's end.

Then if we beat the Pats next week the sky will turn blue, we'll be winning the division and going to the Super Bowl.

My own thought is, it's great to be 2-0 but, in the words of Winston Wolf, "let's not start sucking each other's d**ks quite yet"

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted in the score thread, but just to spread the word...

Andy Dalton is 4-1 against the Bills; in fact, 5-1 if you include the beat-down in the 3rd preseason game last year. We also shouldn't dismiss the fact that that was Josh's first game with the starters and it did not go well. Even though it was preseason, don't think for a second that that doesn't give the Bengals more confidence, and it probably puts a chip on Josh's shoulder as well, which could be good or bad.

• Like (+1) 1

Its more a mustn’t lose than win.  

A loss to the Bengals who seem to be the worst of the 2 statistically would hurt but not catastrophically.  (Yet). 

The must win is next week but that’s next weeks problem.   

Get the W and make the believers believe more and the doubters wonder how / why they were wrong. 

12 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

My own thought is, it's great to be 2-0 but, in the words of Winston Wolf, "let's not start sucking each other's d**ks quite yet"

That's not a doctrine one should be spouting imo.

But will ask at what point do you get on your knees ? 3-0, 4-0, a Super Blow win ?