Pats* release Antonio Brown

Chandler#81

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

ABs contract stated that the Pats* would pay him the 5 million on Monday.

IF they don't AB will "sue" for the money.  If he loses the 5 million will get wiped from the books.

You keep an eye on it.  It's they way the accounting works.

By monday. As long as AB didnt do anything to embarrass himself or the team. I pretty sure AB wont get the money, but it will be considered dead cap. We will have to see how that plays out.

6 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

By monday. As long as AB didnt do anything to embarrass himself or the team. I pretty sure AB wont get the money, but it will be considered dead cap. We will have to see how that plays out.

Spotrac is saying what I'm saying.  OAK got back all of it's cap space and NE will in all likelihood will too, except the 154k for games played.

The $9M signing bonus was due in two installments of $5M & $4M, the first due in 3 days. So the #Patriots will need to void the guarantee on his remaining $1.025M base salary going forward to have all dead cap recouped.

Antonio Brown's 2019

Traded to #Raiders
Locked in $30M GTD (OAK)
Lost $1M (workouts missed)
Had $29M voided
Released
Locked in $10.5M GTD (NE)
Earned $154,000
Released, with remaining $10.37M likely to be voided.

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

If they don't pay it then it doesn't count as dead cap.

10 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Now that Brown has orchestrated his release from NEP, what’s next for this media darling?!

He’s going to Disneyland?  Probably end up in one of those videos showing him duking it out with his second cousin Elfrida, outside of the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

See above...

You can't both argue that Beane would have taken AB for the right price AND argue that the Bills "probably" knew about all of the stuff that has come out in the past 11 days.

In fact, your suggestion that their "contacts and such" could have produced info no other team had (and had, given it's AB, astonishingly evaded ALL forms of media to that point) is another whopper of a fabrication.

He might not have known about the rape allegations (because that would have been a definite non-starter) but maybe found out other stuff that wasn't illegal but still unsavory.  In any case, the new contract was the sticking point and just seeing him quit on the Steelers was enough for him to say no to that.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Beane having "kicked the tires" on a an AB price for signing.  It's his job to find the best talent for the right price.  It's amazing how some here STILL don't understand this.

Glad to see you've come around.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc said:

image.png.b15fdcf81a9fae2915685b56a24508c3.png

I'm really not since you ask. I don't watch TMZ, have no interest in the personal life of celebrities, etc. If that's your thing, that's your thing and I don't knock it. Like I said, AB is nothing more than a personality at this point. Very little interest in what he does if he's not on an NFL roster.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

He might not have known about the rape allegations (because that would have been a definite non-starter) but maybe found out other stuff that wasn't illegal but still unsavory.  In any case, the new contract was the sticking point and just seeing him quit on the Steelers was enough for him to say no to that.

Glad to see you've come around.

Ok so you made all that up.  

As for "coming around", I've not said otherwise.

Since the first trade this offseason, I've been thinking (and saying to friends) that AB no longer has the will to play professional football. He's been publicly BEGGING to be released or suspended or otherwise shelved.

Felt at first like a diva NFL vet circumventing training camp. Feels now more like a misogynistic thirty-something millionaire head case finally coming unglued.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Since the first trade this offseason, I've been thinking (and saying to friends) that AB no longer has the will to play professional football. He's been publicly BEGGING to be released or suspended or otherwise shelved.

Felt at first like a diva NFL vet circumventing training camp. Feels now more like a misogynistic thirty-something millionaire head case finally coming unglued.

While that may be the case, abusing and harassing women seems like a very stupid way to go about drumming yourself out of several jobs.

13 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

He’s going to Disneyland?  Probably end up in one of those videos showing him duking it out with his second cousin Elfrida, outside of the Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.

....doesn't McMahon have a XFL team on Epstein Island?.......just askin'............

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

Agree 100%.  My guess is that Beane proposed a true, "show me," deal with no guaranteed money, but plenty of incentives.  Absolutely zero harm, there, IMO.

Wrong.  

The was Zero financial harm maybe but AB could have inflicted plenty of harm to the culture the Bills are trying to build.  

Bills culture is “Small town atmosphere”,  “family and team first”,  “always be prepared to do your 1/11th”,  “help others and be ready - next man up”,   “follow the process”. 

Beane is doing a fine job but he is not perfect.  Just look at least year with Peterman starting and the OL/WR situation.   Allen could have been damaged with the cast he had to play with. 

We we are lucky that AB is too vain to play for a small market team like Buffalo.  He simply is not the kind of person we need on this team.  

If he was a Bill, and playing well, and then all these allegations started to come out it would indeed  be a major distraction.  No doubt Beane dodged a bullet.  I don’t mind him kicking the tires on players but some, like AB, are just not worth the trouble.  

Edited by Bob in STL

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok so you made all that up.  

As for "coming around", I've not said otherwise.

True, it's completely far-fetched to think that a guy who was cut for rape has other unsavory things in his past that were unearthed by a GM looking to potentially trade for him.  Good one.

You came around to Beane just kicking the tires on Brown but not wanting to give him any new money.  I believe you called it "silly" to think that he'd do so.