Pats* release Antonio Brown

Chandler#81

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Makes for an inexpensive Christmas!

no to mention Halloween..I could see some funny Halloween costumes from this couldn't you? Put a sign on him "will work for food" ...LOL

Edited by Margarita
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Sounds like paper money spent. Not real dollars.

WTF do you think it is? Monopoly money? Cap space is the only real money teams worry about and the Pats might have flushed $9MM of theirs. Fact is Billy B really stepped in it. Fatal error? No. But he weakened his team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

A phone call that could have been recorded anywhere and at any time?  Color me unimpressed.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Ultimately, exactly what he signed in Oakland too

True.  But they're still out a 3rd and a 5th.

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Clever and I do think they did kick the tires and then did a bunch of backtracking after.

Good analogy but bad analysis.  Kicking the tires and not doing anything more is fine and there's no need for backtracking.  Spending a lot to get the car knowing, or at least having a strong suspicion, that it's a lemon and will only die/quit on you is on you.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

WTF do you think it is? Monopoly money? Cap space is the only real money teams worry about and the Pats might have flushed $9MM of theirs. Fact is Billy B really stepped in it. Fatal error? No. But he weakened his team.

Nobody worries about cap space anymore. Its real money that owners look at. Heck Bills alone have more cap space than they cand spend.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

A phone call that could have been recorded anywhere and at any time?  Color me unimpressed.

True.  But they're still out a 3rd and a 5th.

Good analogy but bad analysis.  Kicking the tires and not doing anything more is fine and there's no need for backtracking.  Spending a lot to get the car knowing, or at least having a strong suspicion, that it's a lemon and will only die/quit on you is on you.

I think this is just one case where I’ll have to agree to disagree with you. In my mind it’s completely plausible that Brown would have no interest in coming to Buffalo. He’s a diva who wanted a big market. All the money in the world wouldn’t have mattered imo. It’s not like he’s known for his wise decision making. 

5 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I think this is just one case where I’ll have to agree to disagree with you. In my mind it’s completely plausible that Brown would have no interest in coming to Buffalo. He’s a diva who wanted a big market. All the money in the world wouldn’t have mattered imo. It’s not like he’s known for his wise decision making. 

The flaw in your argument is that he went to Oakland.  For big money.

14 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Nobody worries about cap space anymore. Its real money that owners look at. Heck Bills alone have more cap space than they cand spend.

If that's true the Steelers would've given Bell a fat contract.  Gordon would have a new contract with the Chargers.  Brady would be the highest paid QB in the league.  The Texans would've made Clowney the highest paid DE in the league.  I think you get my point.

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

The Pats also don't care.  They are all about winning...no matter what.   They were all in on AB (Kraft, Belicheck, Brady, the fans) until the story got too big and too bad.  They get no points for anything.

It is almost like, Welcome to the machine, this is what we do, this is how we do it, and this is what we want from. Your role is pre defined for you. As long as you honor your role, we dont care what you did in the past, but there is zero tolerance for it here. If you deviate from your role, we reserve the right to terminate you. Got it? Good now suit up!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

You do realize real money spent is reflected and tracked thru the cap dollars.

If you truly believe what you just said you don't understand football finances.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You do realize real money spent is reflected and tracked thru the cap dollars.

If you truly believe what you just said you don't understand football finances.

If your statement was true there would be no need for a floor which is actual dollars a team needs to spend. Which is different from the cap. Cap can be manipulated. Teams do it all the time. AB has a 5 million cap hit but only received $153,000

Edited by Chris66

5 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

If your statement was true there would be no need for a floor which is actual dollars a team needs to spend. Which is different from the cap. Cap can be manipulated. Teams do it all the time.

And why would teams worry about manipulating their cap space if it wasn't a concern? The bottom line is that cap space restricts the amount of assets a team can acquire. If you don't think that's a worry for teams that don't have a lot of cap space, manipulations notwithstanding, then ColoradoBills fan is right-- you don't understand football finances.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

If your statement was true there would be no need for a floor which is actual dollars a team needs to spend. Which is different from the cap. Cap can be manipulated. Teams do it all the time. AB has a 5 million cap hit but only received $153,000

The cap dollars are a reflection of the contracts.  IF the Pats* cannot get the signing bonus of ABs off the books they will HAVE to pay

him the cash.  IF the Pats* had already paid him the bonus and got it back thru arbitration the cap dollars would get reimbursed.

All teams have the option of paying between the floor and the CAP (which is the maximum they can spend).

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The cap dollars are a reflection of the contracts.  IF the Pats* cannot get the signing bonus of ABs off the books they will HAVE to pay

him the cash.  IF the Pats* had already paid him the bonus and got it back thru arbitration the cap dollars would get reimbursed.

All teams have the option of paying between the floor and the CAP (which is the maximum they can spend).

See thats where your wrong. Pats have paid 153000 but not the 5 million but have dead cap of 5 which probably wont come off the books.. Only the nhl has a true cap.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Beane probably looked into Brown's past himself.  Using contacts and such.  It's a large investment he would be making.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Every team had interest.  Hell the Cheaters were willing to offer a 1st rounder.

I've never said otherwise.  But "right price" means taking over his existing contract, i.e. no new contract and no guaranteed money.

See above...

You can't both argue that Beane would have taken AB for the right price AND argue that the Bills "probably" knew about all of the stuff that has come out in the past 11 days.

In fact, your suggestion that their "contacts and such" could have produced info no other team had (and had, given it's AB, astonishingly evaded ALL forms of media to that point) is another whopper of a fabrication.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Coaches and GMs have learning curves too.

I take this as s bullet dodged and hopefully a lesson learned by McBean

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Beane having "kicked the tires" on a an AB price for signing.  It's his job to find the best talent for the right price.  It's amazing how some here STILL don't understand this.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

See thats where your wrong. Pats have paid 153000 but not the 5 million but have dead cap of 5 which probably wont come off the books.. Only the nhl has a true cap.

ABs contract stated that the Pats* would pay him the 5 million on Monday.

IF they don't AB will "sue" for the money.  If he loses the 5 million will get wiped from the books.

You keep an eye on it.  It's they way the accounting works.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Now they will only win 13 games ??‍♂️