Pats* release Antonio Brown

Chandler#81

14 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yeah. Up to that point, things could not have been too weird yet because Beane at least inquired about Brown. Beane obviously sensed something wrong.

Again, his public behavior in Pgh was enough to warrant not paying him much, if any, guaranteed money.  Brown wasn't going for that so it make it moot, thankfully.  If Beane learned of the other stuff, it probably wouldn't have happened at any price.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yeah. Up to that point, things could not have been too weird yet because Beane at least inquired about Brown. Beane obviously sensed something wrong.

I don’t know if Beane really knew anything. Brown just wasn’t going to sign here anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t know if Beane really knew anything. Brown just wasn’t going to sign here anyway. 

He wasn't going to sign with the Bills because they weren't going to pay him.  If they paid him, he'd have gone there, just like he did with the Raiders.  And I don't doubt Beane found out some things.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

He wasn't going to sign with the Bills because they weren't going to pay him.  If they paid him, he'd have gone there, just like he did with the Raiders.  And I don't doubt Beane found out some things.

I didn’t ever see a guy like Brown signing with Buffalo, and I’m usually the guy who says free agency signings are all about money. Brown wanted attention in a big market. He didn’t even want to play with Raiders once he signed there, so it’s hard for me picture him playing in Buffalo. I love what Beane has done for this team,  but sometimes I think people elevate him to mythical status. Two other GM’s signed Brown before his career came to a likely end. That makes it hard for me to believe that GM’s around the league know too much about the current drama. 

Edited by SirAndrew

9 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah right. Didn't Brown tell his agent to not bother or something?

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, his public behavior in Pgh was enough to warrant not paying him much, if any, guaranteed money.  Brown wasn't going for that so it make it moot, thankfully.  If Beane learned of the other stuff, it probably wouldn't have happened at any price.

Yes. We now know the rest.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I didn’t ever see a guy like Brown signing with Buffalo, and I’m usually the guy who says free agency signings are all about money. Brown wanted attention in a big market. He didn’t even want to play with Raiders once he signed there, so it’s hard for me picture him playing in Buffalo. 

Benjamin Allbright tweeted that teams, including the Bills, backed-off when they heard his contract demands, plus the need to surrender a pick or picks, so there wasn't a market for him.  It's also possible they knew of his off-field stuff.  Only 1 team was willing to pay him, Oakland, so he signed with them and they got burned for it. 

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Benjamin Allbright tweeted that teams, including the Bills, backed-off when they heard his contract demands, plus the need to surrender a pick or picks, so there wasn't a market for him.  It's also possible they knew of his off-field stuff.  Only 1 team was willing to pay him, Oakland, so he signed with them and they got burned for it. 

Yeah, I’m just happy the trade didn’t happen. It would have set this franchise back big time. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yeah right. Didn't Brown tell his agent to not bother or something?

Yes. We now know the rest.

When the Brown trade didn’t happen there were dozens of conflicting articles regarding why he didn’t end up in Buffalo. Some of those articles stated that Rosenhaus wouldn’t even give the Bills Brown’s number because he knew Brown wouldn’t go there. In a phone call with Rosenhaus, Brown agreed that he had no interest in Buffalo. If this is the case, the financial aspect and whether or not Beane had dirt on Brown is irrelevant. Brown simply wasn’t coming here. Who knows what would have happened had he been willing to. Beane (who I do like as GM) now comes out smelling like a rose because of it. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

When the Brown trade didn’t happen there were dozens of conflicting articles regarding why he didn’t end up in Buffalo. Some of those articles stated that Rosenhaus wouldn’t even give the Bills Brown’s number because he knew Brown wouldn’t go there. In a phone call with Rosenhaus, Brown agreed that he had no interest in Buffalo. If this is the case, the financial aspect and whether or not Beane had dirt on Brown is irrelevant. Brown simply wasn’t coming here. Who knows what would have happened had he been willing to. Beane (who I do like as GM) now comes out smelling like a rose because of it. 

Excellent post. You have clarified everything!

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

...if the Pats' capologist structured this deal (especially signing bonus) with no safeguard contingencies, shame on him and I'd fire him in  nanosecond based  on this clown's "glorious past and present"....first installment is due Sept 23 so maybe he did...at least when Richie returned to Bflo, Overdorf structured his deal as a "pay as you go basis".....he was paid per game....eff up and you're gone with NO cap implications.....behave for all 16 and there are some significant incentives to be earned which he did....

9 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

When the Brown trade didn’t happen there were dozens of conflicting articles regarding why he didn’t end up in Buffalo. Some of those articles stated that Rosenhaus wouldn’t even give the Bills Brown’s number because he knew Brown wouldn’t go there. In a phone call with Rosenhaus, Brown agreed that he had no interest in Buffalo. If this is the case, the financial aspect and whether or not Beane had dirt on Brown is irrelevant. Brown simply wasn’t coming here. Who knows what would have happened had he been willing to. Beane (who I do like as GM) not gets to look like a genius because of it. 

Forget the articles, the laughable phone calls, rumors etc. and look at who Brown was traded to, what he pulled there, and what got him cut from the Cheaters.  Then realize Beane, while he did inquire, knew well enough to stay away from this turd.

Edited by Doc
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How does AB play a game and not be owed his guarantee? Also his detrimental behavior did not include charges being filed. I'm sure the NFLPA will have something to say on this.

“And a few days before $5 million of his signing bonus was due from the Patriots, they also moved on after new allegations became public. The Patriots might have to fight Brown over the payment of that signing bonus, but broad language in the contract probably favors the Patriots in that battle.”

Those were costly texts. Brown was due a $5 million portion of his signing bonus next Monday, according to NBC Sports Boston’s Tom Curran. That was the first portion of his $9 million signing bonus. As Yahoo Sports’ Charles Robinson wrote on Sept. 11, the Patriots had language in Brown’s contract that allowed them to void all $9 million of the guaranteed money if he took any action “undermining” the public image of the club. You’d have to assume that standard was met.”

yahoo sports article

I don’t care either way but this is what I keep reading in article after article.

Craft has some sway and the Pats FO knows what it is doing.

My prediction is AB doesn’t see a cent of his bonus money.