Is it possible for an NFL player to function on a roster if he is afraid to fly on a plane?

BrycePaup4ever

2 hours ago, skibum said:

True, riding the Dirty Dog is nasty. Lots of people on the fringe; usually a few folks who were handed tickets by local police and told to get out of town, where they can be someone else's problem. I've seen desperate people loading all of their belongings, which are in trash bags, into the cargo hold. 

But I doubt that's the kind of bus you ride when you're an NFL baller. 

True. I would not envision any professional athlete doing this. This was just a particular experience that I had at that time. 

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:
Image result for how often do airplanes crash, only once

These things go down!

Edited by Rocket94

Knew a guy who played on college team who could not get over fear of flying.  He missed one flight and when team returned head coach talked to him.  He talked to team doctor and on games where it was not possible for him to take an overnight bus they would bring a wheelchair and he would take medication just before flight.  Airline was told ahead of time and it was approved for medical reasons.  Ironically post college he worked for FAA as a traffic controller which is how I met him when working on FAA system.

On 9/20/2019 at 2:53 PM, ALLEN1QB said:

So funny you started this thread today I was just thinking getting close to retirement my wife wants to do a lot of traveling going to be an issue because I am terrified of flying. Have not been on a plane for over 25 years.

Drugs are the answer! (What was the question?)  Seriously, for the sake of the marriage. 

23 hours ago, Bakin said:

I fly ALOT. 

Once or twice a month. Usually long distances over an ocean. 

I used to be petrified of flying when I was younger but it went away after I got married and my wife was even worse than I was. I had to be strong for her. 

Now I make jokes about my plane crashing. Turbulence excites me. 

I watch Mayday on my iPad during the flight.

You have to have a huge ego to believe YOUR plane is going to crash. It’s totally irrational. 

The odds are astronomical. Like 1 in 10 million. Especially lower if you travel in North America. 

We all know it’s the safest way to travel. 

You just have to surrender control and that’s very difficult for some. 

For awhile I wasn't a big fan of flying. Takeoffs were the worst for me. After that is was mostly OK. During landing I always figured a good pilot could land the plane somewhere, even if it wasn't perfect. 

But I found getting a bit plowed before getting on the plane relaxed me enough to settle in. Now I'm like you. I tend to put my arms in the air and go "Weeee!" when there is bad turbulence. It used to really piss off my boss who was terrified to fly and always wanted to sit next to me. She dig her nails into my skin if anything at all happened in flight. When I'd shout "Weeee!" during the worst of the turbulence, she'd start beating the crap out of me---while laughing. But she was more relaxed afterward. There was a method to my madness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1