Is it possible for an NFL player to function on a roster if he is afraid to fly on a plane?

BrycePaup4ever

That's Dick "Night Train" Lane. He got his nickname because he was afraid to fly and instead took trains to games.

EDIT: Apparently this is false. His nickname came from a song of the same name, given by a teammate.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, Don Beebe said:

It was with a coach. John Madden would not fly. The Raiders always took a train or a bus.

Madden flew back then. He stopped flying after he retired from coaching.

16 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I read a story (or maybe heard on the radio) that when Kiko was on the Bills, he was so nervous of flying that they let him sit in the jump seat in the cockpit and the pilots would tell him everything they were doing...Seriously. 

ESPN obtained actual footage of his first flight. For some reason, the pilot thought his name was Joey. But at least he didn't call him Shirley.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Fear of Flying = Fear of Dying.  It is impossible to function with that type of hyperbole anxiety, in everyday life. 

The problem lies deeper within the person and usually comes with a ton of baggage. 

Not a recommended or positive personality trait. 

Edited by Chill
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Not sure.  I'm sure they would likely get you counseling or Valium today to deal with it.  

"Strap me in, tie me down, and roll me a bone.

I'm gettin' on an airplane and I'm flying home."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

So funny you started this thread today I was just thinking getting close to retirement my wife wants to do a lot of traveling going to be an issue because I am terrified of flying. Have not been on a plane for over 25 years.

look into trains. 1st class cross country travel.

It's cheaper and more comfortable. The only downside is travel time, which you have a lot to spare in retirement.

• Like (+1) 2

Back in the day, I ran a big technical shop....and, we had one guy who would not fly.  He was limited in what he could do for us....and, we added a question to our employment applications because of our experience with him  Do you have any objection to flying on business?  A yes answer would throw out the application after that, as that applicant did not meet the requirements of the job.  (We sent the one guy to Arizona one time from Buffalo, he took the Bus and it took him almost a week to get there)  So, NFL players must fly, or, imho never get a job in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 3