Question: What do you think is the biggest factor in offensive improvement?

10 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

I know it's still very early in the season...obviously the Bills offense so far is much better this year than it was last year. 

I've been thinking about several factors, and I'm curious to see what others think, as to what has been the biggest factor. Here are my thoughts:

* Josh Allen in his 2nd season.

Most people say that QBs see a big or biggest "jump" in year 2. Even though Allen didn't play in 16 games last year, he entered year 2 as the entrenched starter. He also had an opportunity (due to injury) to take a step back and learn from the sidelines last year, after making a few starts, to study and learn from a couple of veteran QBs. Early in his career (including 2018 preseason), the game was a bit too fast for him, evidenced by his hesitation to throw on some plays. The TD pass to Croom in preseason week 1, and the Benjamin TD pass against the Chargers in week 2 of the regular season come to mind (he cocked his arm once before letting the ball go on each play), but that was expected. 

Again, it's still early, and I'm sure he trusted his arm strength maybe a little too much, but there's been an obvious progression for Josh as far as the speed of the game goes. Film study, familiarity with scheme, and settling in and getting comfortable and confident probably has a lot to do with that. He's also improved in key areas that were perceived as weaknesses, particularly with his footwork. His hard work in the offseason is paying off.

* Added talent.

A. The WR group.

Clearly, John Brown and Cole Beasley have been good additions to this offense. This has bumped guys like Jones, McKenzie, and Foster down the depth chart. By adding them, perhaps the playbook has grown a bit from last year, having WRs that offer more than last year's squad. Adding McKenzie last year opened up some things in the playbook, but we're seeing some things in the passing game this year that weren't shown last season. 

B. The offensive line.

With 4 new starters on the offensive line, including 1 rookie (who has been splitting playing time with another new lineman; not sure which one is considered the starter), I was expecting some serious growing pains along the line for the first several weeks of the season. Aside from an occasional missed block on the edge, the offensive line has been a strength for the Bills.

Paying big bucks for Morse looks like a great move, as he has been instrumental in the group's success so far. His instincts and pre-snap recognition have been extremely helpful for a 2nd year QB that struggled to recognize and adjust to pre-snap blitz looks at times last year (although mostly early in the year). Pass protection is better this year, and that starts with the center. Oh, and the guy can move. Having an "athletic" center has helped open up the playbook in the run game. The Bills have been pulling linemen quite a bit so far, and without Morse, I don't think that would be the case. Feliciano and Spain are adequate enough when pulling (Spain is a mammoth), and the 4 linemen (5 technically, Nsekhe/Ford) on both sides of Morse are strong enough to utilize pin and pull in either direction.

C. Tight Ends.

The Bills TEs have been playing at a high level in both the passing game and in the run game with key blocks. Lee Smith was a nice addition, known for his blocking but can catch, but how about the rookies Knox and Sweeney? They have been a pleasant surprise.

There's more I could dive into, and for some reason, my post was created before finishing without hitting the post button, so I'll edit quickly (sorry if you're reading the premature post before editing)...

IMO, the biggest factor is the offensive line, especially Mitch Morse. Without the improved play of the line, the other factors I mentioned may not look quite as good. The Bills threw the ball 18 times in a row to start the season and were effective moving the ball until turnovers thwarted drives. If the line wasn't as improved, life would be much more difficult for Allen. Having a respectable rushing attack also helps Allen and the passing attack to be more effective.

I agree with pretty much everything, what I would like to see is some play action I can’t remember seeing any at all , and that is very surprising to me , 

unless we’re saving some for week 4 ?? 

Edited by Putin

The answer is BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!  A rookie QB is an inherent problem and the second year offers natural improvement.  Good o-line play is the foundation of competant offense and the dysfunctional 2018 version was the biggest priority for an upgrade in 2019.   It looks fixed and now every other part of the offense can perform and, in some cases, thrive.

8 hours ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

The Bills are far from the **Pats and Chiefs.

If you expected the 2018 Bills to turn into the Patriots or Chiefs in a single season, you weren't being realistic.  

Our offensive line went from abominable to competent.  That is a huge step forward.  Last year's WR corps was dropping passes all over the place and was headlined by an undrafted rookie free agent. This year they're competent, which is again a huge step forward.  Our best TE from last year would be 5th on our current depth chart if everybody was healthy.  And of course our 2018 QB was an ultra-raw rookie who looks a lot sharper now.  

Ideally we would add a true #1 WR (next year's priority in the draft IMO), have Knox develop into a security blanket TE (not there yet of course, but there's reason for optimism), further upgrade the line (free agency / draft), and look for upgrades/replacements for Gore and Yeldon (both are temporary stopgaps).  Then we'll talk about the Patriots and Chiefs.

28 minutes ago, Putin said:

I agree with pretty much everything, what I would like to see is some play action I can’t remember seeing any at all , and that is very surprising to me , 

unless we’re saving some for week 4 ?? 

I think we have been saving some things for sure. Not just for week 4, but overall I don't think we want to unveil the total plans for the offense. I think the offense is truly going to change week to week, depending on opponents, ya know...like good offenses do.

Agreed about play action, as well as screen plays. RB draws too. Like the pass rushers preach in all of their interviews, its a long game and you might work for three quarters setting up the inside move by using the outside move, and then BAM, fourth quarter you hit him with the inside move. I think its a total team philosophy as well, One quarter of the season you might not see some offensive sets/plays at all, and then all of the sudden the offense is doing different things. Just my take of course. 

I think that the biggest improvement in the offense is the assistant coaches.   The Bills didn't just improve their OL and WR personnel, they also changed most of their offensive assistants, and that's paid big dividends.  Giving Josh Allen a competent, experienced QB coach in the person of Ken Dorsey has enabled him to start playing like a competent NFL QB not some sandlot hero.   Better OL and receiver coaching has enabled the new OLers and receivers, both WRs and TEs, to be more productive than expected from the start.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

If you expected the 2018 Bills to turn into the Patriots or Chiefs in a single season, you weren't being realistic.  

Our offensive line went from abominable to competent.  That is a huge step forward.  Last year's WR corps was dropping passes all over the place and was headlined by an undrafted rookie free agent. This year they're competent, which is again a huge step forward.  Our best TE from last year would be 5th on our current depth chart if everybody was healthy.  And of course our 2018 QB was an ultra-raw rookie who looks a lot sharper now.  

Ideally we would add a true #1 WR (next year's priority in the draft IMO), have Knox develop into a security blanket TE (not there yet of course, but there's reason for optimism), further upgrade the line (free agency / draft), and look for upgrades/replacements for Gore and Yeldon (both are temporary stopgaps).  Then we'll talk about the Patriots and Chiefs.

I am HIGH on Smoke Brown. I think he really is a #1, and thought that going into two offseasons ago when he signed with the Ravens. Now with that said, I completely agree, adding another #1 WR via the draft of FA or trade...imagine having "Mystery #1", Smoke as the other outside WR, and Beasley in the slot...thats some weapons in the passing game. 

• Like (+1) 1

It all starts with the OL, of course.  While it has not been perfect, it has allowed Josh to stay off his backside much better than last year, especially from the right side. Beasley and Brown are obvious upgrades from Benjamin and Holmes and the tight ends are catching every pass thrown their way and blocking well.  It is completely obvious how much effort Josh has put into his passing game.  With just a bit more time, his throws are accurate (mostly) and he now knows there is such a thing as crossing patterns and receivers in the middle of the field.