My one peeve from the Giants game

IgotBILLStopay

I thought they would do the thing where they line up like they are going to take shots down the field, but run a draw.  If the defense sniffs it out and tackles the back for a two yard gain, then fine....take a knew.  However, if the back gets free and rips of a 12 yard run and gets out of bounds, then start trying to get into field goal range.

15 hours ago, freddyjj said:

On the road.  2 TD lead.  Just stopped them in scoring zone with a lucky turnover.

I can't argue with sitting on the ball at Bills own 28.   if 15 yards downfield I could see trying a couple throws.  

This is where context matters.   The Bills are up comfortably, they have the game under control with the defense playing lights out football.  Allen is still a young QB and rather than potentially playing to Josh's inner instincts of attempting to play hero ball with less than 45 seconds on the clock and risking a turnover that could turn the entire dynamics of the game upside down and shift the momentum to the Giants, McD would rather go into halftime with a great lead and the ball to start the QB.

At this stage of Allen's development, I'm ok with the decision.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

I had beef with that as well. Hopefully McD learned from that one.  

I truly think our offense/Allen plays better when they’re racing the clock and NEED to score.  I believe we could’ve put up at least 3 points there. 

We won the game by 2 tds- you play different opponents differently but what should he have learned? I agreed with it- on the road a 2 td lead at half is great and the chance of disaster is too high.

15 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Feel like you dont know what come back means.  We really had control of this game throughout.  It was only about half a drive in which I had any worries.  Game was over as soon as Allen hit Brown to go into field goal position.

They got within a touchdown in the 4th quarter. That is exactly what getting back in the game means. If you dont understand that then idk what to tell you. Yes of course the door was closed when we score again but we could have easily put the game out of hand in the first half with another score before halftime.

18 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

They struggled to move the ball in their previous possession, things got a bit heated between the two teams, and then they dodged a bullet on the long punt return. I was fine with taking a knee with a two touchdown lead and getting the ball first in the second half.

I wonder how many posters calling for them to try to score again before halftime would have been on this forum questioning the decision if it resulted in a turnover and a score going the other way?

I agree with this.  I wanted them to kneel it down and regroup at halftime...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except that’s not true.  He was aggressive frequently at end of halves last year with Allen under center and on 4th down.

Absolutely correct. Just another false narrative...

The really good coaches understand when the situation calls for an aggressive call and when it doesn't. This one didn't...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

FWIW, Marrone did go for it just before halftime in yesterday's game against the Titans. Very similar to the Bills' situation, Jags had 45 seconds left and two timeouts. They were also protecting a two touchdown lead. And while the Bills were at the 28 yard line, Jags were only at the 10 yard line. They did get a first down after two plays, took a timeout and tried another play on 1st down from the 23 yard line - then gave up with about 10-15 seconds left. This was with Gardner Minshew at QB.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401127859

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

I had the same complaint, but moreso at the end of the game. The Giants had just scored, our offense had just answered with 7 thanks to a stupid penalty giving us 3 more shots at a touchdown. When we get the ball back , IIRC there is a little over 5 minutes left in the game and we're up two scores. 

At this point, I believe they should still be going for 7. Not New England esque deep shots to humiliate your opponent, just move the chains and eat that clock up while giving yourself a chance to expand your lead and ice the game. McD goes into "let my 97 year old running back run the clock out" mode, leading to a quick punt.  Anyone that's been around the game a while knows 2 scores in 5 minutes is not impossible. I don't care how much faith you have in our defense, why give them an opportunity? Even a field goal makes it that much more difficult for them to come back. When you have a hall of fame Superbowl mvp quarterback and probably the best rb on the planet on the other side, I'm not taking chances if I can avoid it. That's the kind of thing that could absolutely bite us in the rear against NE.

12 minutes ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

I had the same complaint, but moreso at the end of the game. The Giants had just scored, our offense had just answered with 7 thanks to a stupid penalty giving us 3 more shots at a touchdown. When we get the ball back , IIRC there is a little over 5 minutes left in the game and we're up two scores. 

At this point, I believe they should still be going for 7. Not New England esque deep shots to humiliate your opponent, just move the chains and eat that clock up while giving yourself a chance to expand your lead and ice the game. McD goes into "let my 97 year old running back run the clock out" mode, leading to a quick punt.  Anyone that's been around the game a while knows 2 scores in 5 minutes is not impossible. I don't care how much faith you have in our defense, why give them an opportunity? Even a field goal makes it that much more difficult for them to come back. When you have a hall of fame Superbowl mvp quarterback and probably the best rb on the planet on the other side, I'm not taking chances if I can avoid it. That's the kind of thing that could absolutely bite us in the rear against NE.

Agree that drive was more annoying but there were extenuating circumstances there too. Having rushed for no gain on 1st down, Ty then got a false start penalty. Then on 2nd and 15 Singletary bounced to the outside and while he was never getting the first he might have made it 3rd and manageable and then his hammy tweaked and he limped out for a 4 yard gain leaving at least another 3 or 4 yards on the field. At 3rd and 11 I thought a run and punt then became the right call. 

It's disingenuous to say that McDermott is a conservative coach because of one decision. We threw 18 straight passes to start our first game. I am sure that if we were playing a better team and were tied and didn't get the ball to start the half we would have tried to get 3 points. In this particular game situation it was a good decision. We were one big mistake from losing all the momentum. The risk outweighed the potential reward.

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The decision to fold and run for the locker room is classic McDermott.

It's who he is.  

If we are going to beat NE in week 4, he is going to have to grow a pair and play much more aggressively, the way Philadelphia played in their Super Bowl victory in 2018.  

Philly took chances and played to win, and were rewarded for it.

But we were not playing New ENgland....we were plaing a giants team that was missing several key pieces to its offense.

Lets play devils advocate here.....lets say we try to score again we obviousy have to pass or what is the point.....if the ball gets picked and taken for a touchdown?  It changes the momentum of the game and then who knows what happens.

New England is a different animal.....if we dont score at LEAST 3 touchdowns in that game we won win.

I wanted us to try to get in FG range and get some points before the half and more on 1st possession of 2nd half.  But I wasn't surprised. I've been watching football a long time and have seen this scenario play out many times.  It's what coaches do for the most part.  Sitting at home on our couch with buds watching the game being aggressive and going for it makes sense.  If your career and dreams depend on decisions like this, you may think about it a little different.

Bottom line, we won, so I'm good with all the decisions made in that game.  Just win.

31 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I wanted us to try to get in FG range and get some points before the half and more on 1st possession of 2nd half.  But I wasn't surprised. I've been watching football a long time and have seen this scenario play out many times.  It's what coaches do for the most part.  Sitting at home on our couch with buds watching the game being aggressive and going for it makes sense.  If your career and dreams depend on decisions like this, you may think about it a little different.

Bottom line, we won, so I'm good with all the decisions made in that game.  Just win.

Not to mention the team had a chance to go into the locker room with their Second-year QB having just taken a giant leap forward.  What do you think a pick does to that sense of purpose? It definitely doesn't help. Especially against a Giants team the Bills were clearly handling.  McD made the right choice.  If it was NE? That might be different. But it wasn't NE. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't like how conservative we got for the rest of the game, but I guess when your D is playing as good as ours we can afford to do that. To many memories of past games we blew by one score is always in the back of my mind, but when game is over and we got the W, it really didnt matter much I now see.

my take is that they are progressing slowly and carefully with Allen. one thing at a time... that is an effective way to teach and learn. they are focused on the short passing game right now and are seeing vast improvement. i don't think they need more than that, they were winning with the short passes, no need to get aggressive until they feel Allen is ready for that.

so yes i agree i want them to go for it. but i think the reason they do not is educationally based.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, ngbills said:

This plus the entire 2nd half. We had a lead and played to just hold it. Watch other teams that are used to winning in the NFL and they are not letting up like this. We let the Giants back in the game. It shows a lack of faith in Allen. I would have like to see him sling it and keep the pedal down in the 2nd half. 

Don't really understand this constant refrain I read here.   How exactly were they sitting on a lead all second half?

In the 3d quarter they had 3 short drives where they called a total of 8 passes and 3 runs. They just didn't execute.  They hurt themselves with penalties and allowed two drive killing sacks.  Then in the fourth quarter they had a long drive that burned clock and resulted in the put away touchdown.  After that, obviously they ran the ball to kill he clock in the final five minutes.

Edited by KD in CA

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Don't really understand this constant refrain I read here.   How exactly were they sitting on a lead all second half?

In the 3d quarter they had 3 short drives where they called a total of 8 passes and 3 runs. They just didn't execute.  They hurt themselves with penalties and allowed two drive killing sacks.  Then in the fourth quarter they had a long drive that burned clock and resulted in the put away touchdown.  After that, obviously they ran the ball to kill he clock in the final five minutes.

Yeah - i think there was a knox drop on what wouldve been a first down.  Great ball IIRC.  Another drive got messed up with a false start

They had already scored 21 points & threw for over 200 yards......  McD knows that is when to put on the brakes......  21 points from the offense & moving the ball through the air is just not allowed if a Buffalo Bill.  

Now if the D was responsible for 14 of those points that would be a different story.

Inexcusable and only to paraphrase Bruce Springsteen "like a dog that has been beat too much, you spend half your life just a covering up" that is a Bills' fan who is scared to let the offense impose it's will and score points & throw the football!!!!!

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Haha (+1) 1