My one peeve from the Giants game

IgotBILLStopay

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The decision to fold and run for the locker room is classic McDermott.

It's who he is.  

If we are going to beat NE in week 4, he is going to have to grow a pair and play much more aggressively, the way Philadelphia played in their Super Bowl victory in 2018.  

Philly took chances and played to win, and were rewarded for it.

I've said this for a couple years now. This is McDermott's biggest flaw.  It sends the wrong message of complacency to your team. If Sean thinks a 14pt lead is more than enough in todays NFL he's delusional. I love his process/culture philosophy.  I love his defense.  I absolutely hate his conservative tendencies on offense.  It will come back to bite him.....

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

OK I am gaga we are 2-0 and I look forward to being 3-0 this Sunday.  But I do have one peeve from the Giants game. And it involves a coaching decision, not a player. We have 47 seconds left for Halftime and 2 timeouts. Ball on our 28 yard line. We kneel twice and go into the half. Going 35 yards with two timeouts and 47 seconds is certainly not impossible. With Hauschka's foot - that would be a 55 yarder - very much doable, no?

Obviously I am a fan of McBeane - but the Coach gotta at least try something on first down, no? You want to be conservative - ok run on first and second down. Worst case you get nowhere. Even a 50 yard bomb on a 3rd and long with 15 seconds and one timeout left  would have been fine with Allen's arm. If it gets intercepted at the Giants 22 - they aint gonna move 40 yards in 10 seconds against our defense with just one timeout (I think they may have had one - not sure). So what is there to lose?

Just to put it in context: Shades of Marrone there.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/nfl-doug-pederson-rips-jaguars-coaches-patriots

These are the decisions that help a team win close games.

FWIW, Looks like even Marrone is learning and changing now - with that gutsy 2-point attempt at the end of the game against Houston (which was the right call).

Bottomline: We dont  need advanced analytics to tell us we gotta try for something there. This was a coaching miss. Hope someone asks him that in an interview. And hope he learns from it.

I could have sworn we had the ball on the 38 yard line. 

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

This plus the entire 2nd half. We had a lead and played to just hold it. Watch other teams that are used to winning in the NFL and they are not letting up like this. We let the Giants back in the game. It shows a lack of faith in Allen. I would have like to see him sling it and keep the pedal down in the 2nd half. 

Patently untrue.

In that situation I'd do the same thing 10/10 times. Defense just stopped them, you almost gave up points, you are up by multiple scores, getting the ball back after the half. There is literally no reason to go for it. The reward does not outweigh the risk.

It was the right move.

The coach knows if they’re currently in a peak or valley in the game and he made a decision based on that. It worked and they won. 

Should it he be a different scenario, he may conduct himself differently. 

McD is a great leader of men and he will definitively err towards conservative decision making. Fault? Who knows. But they won. 

Don't agree.  We were in control of that game.  A mistake there could take us out of control of it.  I think it was the right move, but because of the rest of the situation and who we were playing.  Now, if we were playing a team like the Pats that could come back from being down 5 Tds in like 1 quarter, then I would think differently.

• Like (+1) 1

FWIW I recall having an unsettled feeling based on some craziness that proceeded the kneel down.  Absolutely hate to see 2 timeouts wasted and more points before the half, but it was a good call based on what was happening at that moment.  It was pretty good clock management that got them there.  I'm sure they, like we, anticipated something better than the actual 3rd quarter we got from the O. 

McD is a little too conservative for me at times as well.  I'll admit it.  But he seems to know what he's doing with this whole coaching thing.  I'll defer to the expert.  It's all about getting the W baby!  At least he didn't lose his challenges if he even made any.  Seriously, his record is just terrible on challenges and I don't necessarily blame him entirely.  Sometimes your luck just sucks.

4 minutes ago, Distorted One said:

FWIW I recall having an unsettled feeling based on some craziness that proceeded the kneel down.  Absolutely hate to see 2 timeouts wasted and more points before the half, but it was a good call based on what was happening at that moment.  It was pretty good clock management that got them there.  I'm sure they, like we, anticipated something better than the actual 3rd quarter we got from the O. 

McD is a little too conservative for me at times as well.  I'll admit it.  But he seems to know what he's doing with this whole coaching thing.  I'll defer to the expert.  It's all about getting the W baby!  At least he didn't lose his challenges if he even made any.  Seriously, his record is just terrible on challenges and I don't necessarily blame him entirely.  Sometimes your luck just sucks.

Didn't Allen fumble on that sack but they blew it dead? Then they returned it to basically the location of that fumble. On my phone otherwise I'd check

Edited by dneveu

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Didn't Allen fumble on that sack but they blew it dead? Then they returned it to basically the location of that fumble. On my phone otherwise I'd check

The drive before the kneels ended in that scrum that Cody Ford got all fired up in (love that kid's attitude regardless of how much work he needs).  There was an intentional ground call against JA but the Gmen declined in lieu of the unnecessary roughness flag on Cody.  That whole series was weird.  Then Eli's pass gets batted by Oliver and Murphy swooped in for the INT.  Yeah that's some craziness.  I remember when I saw them taking a knee thinking "Good call.  Just get the hell out of there and into the locker room with what we have.'  Sometimes you just have to stop the bad mojo and regroup.

The offense had just failed in the two minute drill.  The special teams had just failed to contain a punt return.  In other words two thirds of the team was struggling to do things they practice every week. The defense bailed them out. I wouldn't have bet on my offense and special teams in that situation. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Except we didn't.  10 pass plays to 4 run plays called in the 3rd quarter.  Pre-snap penalties and a huge Knox drop stifled the Bills' offense, not conservative play-calling.

Do you guys who love to complain even watch the game?

Ugh that drop by Knox was the absolute perfect throw by Josh.     Fit it in a tight window in a critical play.   Knox just couldn't hold on to it.

Made me wonder a little bit how this guy who only caught 39 passes in college as a walk-on, and now has only 2 catches on 6 targets in the pros is someone we feel has good enough hands to catch Josh Allen fastballs.  I'm not so sure.   We traded back up to get this Chris Hogan type all-around athlete, had a fantastic block on the Motor TD run, but we already have a great blocking TE, we need a Kelce, Ertz, Kiddle, Hockenstein type receiving TE.   We drafted a pair of them this year looking for just that.

I hope Knox's ball skills improve.  

45 seconds left with two timeouts to get 40ish yards. Regardless of what happened on the previous drive, you have to try to push the ball downfield. It just screams of fear and meekness and the team sees that. I'm sure McDermott is a nice guy and all, but I have zero faith in this guy ever being a sharp, forward looking coach. 

12 hours ago, freddyjj said:

On the road.  2 TD lead.  Just stopped them in scoring zone with a lucky turnover.

I can't argue with sitting on the ball at Bills own 28.   if 15 yards downfield I could see trying a couple throws.  

Same. We had already tried one drive inside of two minutes flamed out and ended up giving them the ball back and but for a turnover would have led to them scoring. 

You can't just look at situations in isolation. They need the context of the game building in. I might have tried one draw or something like that and see whether you break one for a few yards but I understood the decision to sit on it. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, eball said:

Except we didn't.  10 pass plays to 4 run plays called in the 3rd quarter.  Pre-snap penalties and a huge Knox drop stifled the Bills' offense, not conservative play-calling.

Do you guys who love to complain even watch the game?

And Josh's worst miss of the game on the slant to Zay. If that was on the money (and Zay caught it of course) he was gone for a long one. There was a lot of grass ahead of him. 

Both that and the Knox play were really good offensive calls we just didn't execute. We also tried to start three consecutive drives with hard play actions and on the first two had false start penalties. When we didn't on the 3rd one we got a first down and started the final scoring drive. 

It was execution in the 3rd Quarter not conservatism. It is like an automatic reaction for fans when the team goes 3 and out a couple of times to scream "this team is too conservative"

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The decision to fold and run for the locker room is classic McDermott.

It's who he is.  

If we are going to beat NE in week 4, he is going to have to grow a pair and play much more aggressively, the way Philadelphia played in their Super Bowl victory in 2018.  

Philly took chances and played to win, and were rewarded for it.

Except that’s not true.  He was aggressive frequently at end of halves last year with Allen under center and on 4th down.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except that’s not true.  He was aggressive frequently at end of halves last year with Allen under center and on 4th down.

He went for it a few times the year before with the non throwing Quarterback at the end of halves too. I mean it rarely worked because, well, you know, Tyrod sucks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I wasn't sure either way at the time. In hindsight, I think it was a solid decision. As Gunner said, it might have been worth a low risk play to see if they could get decent yards towards a FG, but it certainly wasn't worth going full gung-ho.

The reason, momentum. We had had it, but the Giants had briefly got it back, with the 3 and out, then the big punt return. The D gets the football back, but as Shaw made the point as well - two parts of the team were suddenly on the back foot, and they would be the parts you would rely on to get anything out of those last plays.

Get off the field, with receiving the football to start the second half, and let the Giants go in thinking they have lost momentum by losing the football.

Sometimes you just take what the other team gives you - and it applies not just to QBs.

Another day, another situation, I might be calling McDermott out in similar circumstances, but I think he made the right call this time around.

• Like (+1) 1