My one peeve from the Giants game

IgotBILLStopay

46 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

OK I am gaga we are 2-0 and I look forward to being 3-0 this Sunday.  But I do have one peeve from the Giants game. And it involves a coaching decision, not a player. We have 47 seconds left for Halftime and 2 timeouts. Ball on our 28 yard line. We kneel twice and go into the half. Going 35 yards with two timeouts and 47 seconds is certainly not impossible. With Hauschka's foot - that would be a 55 yarder - very much doable, no?

Obviously I am a fan of McBeane - but the Coach gotta at least try something on first down, no? You want to be conservative - ok run on first and second down. Worst case you get nowhere. Even a 50 yard bomb on a 3rd and long with 15 seconds and one timeout left  would have been fine with Allen's arm. If it gets intercepted at the Giants 22 - they aint gonna move 40 yards in 10 seconds against our defense with just one timeout (I think they may have had one - not sure). So what is there to lose?

Just to put it in context: Shades of Marrone there.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/nfl-doug-pederson-rips-jaguars-coaches-patriots

These are the decisions that help a team win close games.

FWIW, Looks like even Marrone is learning and changing now - with that gutsy 2-point attempt at the end of the game against Houston (which was the right call).

Bottomline: We dont  need advanced analytics to tell us we gotta try for something there. This was a coaching miss. Hope someone asks him that in an interview. And hope he learns from it.

Why?  They were controlling Giants. Why risk a mistake? 

Now out that in against another team and maybe they do

41 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Agreed. Show some confidence in your O to take a shot, and in your D to get a stop if need be. 

I felt the O was getting too loose at this point in the game.  I was good with reeling everyone back in to reset at the half.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I agree with this. If they were a little further downfield then yes, you try an get into range. No need to chance a TO with a 14pt lead on the road in your own end of the field and give them the chance to cut that lead in half.. I believe they got the ball in the 2nd half anyways, so I have no problem with the decision either.

The way that P.I. is called in this league, It is usually wise to take a shot. If nothing good happens, punt. There wasn't enough time left for the G's to do anything.

58 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

We have 47 seconds left for Halftime and 2 timeouts. Ball on our 28 yard line. We kneel twice and go into the half. Going 35 yards with two timeouts and 47 seconds is certainly not impossible.

I've mentioned this before, but the reason we "just took a knee" there really started at 1:49 left in the half.

That is when we got the ball with 2 TOs for what should have been the final drive of the half ending in us getting some points, even a FG.

Instead, we started with a blunder of a QB draw that killed all momentum. We ended up going 3 and out, and giving the Giants the ball back at 1:32.

Luckily, we got a decent stand by the Defense and got the ball back. I think at that point, McD didnt want to chance anything that would give the Giants momentum going into the half, we already blew our last chance, we were getting the ball after the half... so he decided to just cut any losses and end the half under our own control.

I wasnt happy with how that drive at 1:49 worked out, but when we got the ball back I begrudgingly agreed with "Just get off the field for now, and get ready to reboot".

• Like (+1) 2

The bigger problem is how they came out in the 3rd Quarter.  Didn't they get their half time snack?  Were the Rice Krispie Treats stale?  The stadium was dead quiet and the Bills were too.  They have to fix that! The team literally looked like they were ready for a nap...not a football game.  If you do that against better competition, the game will be over before you wake up.

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The bigger problem is how they came out in the 3rd Quarter.  Didn't they get their half time snack?  Were the Rice Krispie Treats stale?  The stadium was dead quiet and the Bills were too.  They have to fix that! The team literally looked like they were ready for a nap...not a football game.  If you do that against better competition, the game will be over before you wake up.

I guess the Giants may have made better halftime adjustments than the Bills it looked like. But glad they got their ***** together in the 4th qt though and sealed it.

57 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I wonder if Daboll and McD were a little gun shy because we turned the ball over 4 times against the Jets on relatively low risk plays.  

With a solid lead and confidence in the D, they may have decided to be conservative in their risk-reward analysis.

Ding, ding, ding.  Unlucky TO's in that position would kill the momentum.

interesting to see the different takes on this.

As i remember it the Giants secondary was awful.  Slow, uninspired.   Brown was open all day by a lot and so were many other guys.  At one point Bease didn't have a single guy within 15 yards of him on that long completion.   We had two timeouts and would need to go about 30 yards for Haush money to try a long bomber.

Complete lack of balls to not even run one play and see how it pans out.  It's not like Josh was getting destroyed every play.  You're developing an offense that is 80% brand new guys playing together.  every snap you learn a little more.  Here's a live real game scenario that great qb's thrive in.   

Not only did he fold and take a knee, the offense came out cold in the 2nd half.   

Poor coaching decision.  Missed learning opportunity.   Sends a message to your team.

This happened a time or two last year and I remember  McDermotts words- 

his concern is giving the other team a score late when you have control of the game

up 21-7 is it worth a risk (odds are against you) in your own end

you dominated the first half, worked like a dog and are in a good spot

you also get the ball to start the second half

the bad team goes for more points has a fumble or interception for 6

now its 21-14 and they are emotionally and physically back in the game

you dominated the second half and on the score board its a one score game

if you pop a play then maybe it changes but i totally agree -  

ITS NOT WORTH THE RISK AND WITHOUT A DOUBT THE RIGHT CALL 

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

This plus the entire 2nd half. We had a lead and played to just hold it. Watch other teams that are used to winning in the NFL and they are not letting up like this. We let the Giants back in the game. It shows a lack of faith in Allen. I would have like to see him sling it and keep the pedal down in the 2nd half. 

Except we didn't.  10 pass plays to 4 run plays called in the 3rd quarter.  Pre-snap penalties and a huge Knox drop stifled the Bills' offense, not conservative play-calling.

Do you guys who love to complain even watch the game?

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Part of me says go for more points.

I can understand the decision as they were dominating the Giants and were getting the ball to start the 3rd.  This is the low risk approach vs a turnover/injury.

It all worked out so no real heartburn over the decision.

I agree with all that especially knowing we get the ball first to start the 3rd. Unfortunately that doesn't always pan out because the opposition is making adjustments to what they've seen to that point. Why not go for a score when their on the ropes and still figuring things out? McD is very conservative with a lead and likes to put it on the D to control tempo instead of putting it on the O, especially with a 2nd year QB. Josh has proven in these 2 games that when he has to move the O for a score in a must situation he comes up clutch. McD and his philosophy is what it is I guess. 

2 hours ago, jletha said:

IMO thats even more reason to go for it. Double up on them, stomp on their throats. Instead we let them come back in the game with second half adjustments.

Feel like you dont know what come back means.  We really had control of this game throughout.  It was only about half a drive in which I had any worries.  Game was over as soon as Allen hit Brown to go into field goal position.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

interesting to see the different takes on this.

As i remember it the Giants secondary was awful.  Slow, uninspired.   Brown was open all day by a lot and so were many other guys.  At one point Bease didn't have a single guy within 15 yards of him on that long completion.   We had two timeouts and would need to go about 30 yards for Haush money to try a long bomber.

Complete lack of balls to not even run one play and see how it pans out.  It's not like Josh was getting destroyed every play.  You're developing an offense that is 80% brand new guys playing together.  every snap you learn a little more.  Here's a live real game scenario that great qb's thrive in.   

Not only did he fold and take a knee, the offense came out cold in the 2nd half.   

Poor coaching decision.  Missed learning opportunity.   Sends a message to your team.

Yep, but you seem to forget the previous drive at 1:49 where the Giants started getting pressure and got a huge shot on Josh as he was called for intentional grounding.  They ran 3 plays and the Giants blitzed guys and got pressure, an intentional grounding/personal foul called, and a tackle for loss leading to the punt and a huge chance for the Giants to get it to a 1 score game.

The smart thing was to say - let’s go make some adjustments and see what we can do in the second half with a big lead and the ball.

I really do not get the false narrative that they went conservative.  They threw the ball just as much in the third and early 4th quarter as the rest of the game.  The difference was the incompletions and the penalties not a conservative plan.

I just think you are so totally wrong and if the Giants had scored because of a fumble or strip sack - you would have been complaining about that also.