My one peeve from the Giants game

IgotBILLStopay

OK I am gaga we are 2-0 and I look forward to being 3-0 this Sunday.  But I do have one peeve from the Giants game. And it involves a coaching decision, not a player. We have 47 seconds left for Halftime and 2 timeouts. Ball on our 28 yard line. We kneel twice and go into the half. Going 35 yards with two timeouts and 47 seconds is certainly not impossible. With Hauschka's foot - that would be a 55 yarder - very much doable, no?

Obviously I am a fan of McBeane - but the Coach gotta at least try something on first down, no? You want to be conservative - ok run on first and second down. Worst case you get nowhere. Even a 50 yard bomb on a 3rd and long with 15 seconds and one timeout left  would have been fine with Allen's arm. If it gets intercepted at the Giants 22 - they aint gonna move 40 yards in 10 seconds against our defense with just one timeout (I think they may have had one - not sure). So what is there to lose?

Just to put it in context: Shades of Marrone there.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/nfl-doug-pederson-rips-jaguars-coaches-patriots

These are the decisions that help a team win close games.

FWIW, Looks like even Marrone is learning and changing now - with that gutsy 2-point attempt at the end of the game against Houston (which was the right call).

Bottomline: We dont  need advanced analytics to tell us we gotta try for something there. This was a coaching miss. Hope someone asks him that in an interview. And hope he learns from it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

The decision to fold and run for the locker room is classic McDermott.

It's who he is.  

If we are going to beat NE in week 4, he is going to have to grow a pair and play much more aggressively, the way Philadelphia played in their Super Bowl victory in 2018.  

Philly took chances and played to win, and were rewarded for it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I said before the season, would like to see the “step on their throat” mentality from this staff. This post is a good example of when we should see a hint of that, and we didn’t.

Yeah, we were pushing them around on both sides most of the day, but that ‘killer instinct’ still needs to be there.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

OK I am gaga we are 2-0 and I look forward to being 3-0 this Sunday.  But I do have one peeve from the Giants game. And it involves a coaching decision, not a player. We have 47 seconds left for Halftime and 2 timeouts. Ball on our 28 yard line. We kneel twice and go into the half. Going 35 yards with two timeouts and 47 seconds is certainly not impossible. With Hauschka's foot - that would be a 55 yarder - very much doable, no?

Obviously I am a fan of McBeane - but the Coach gotta at least try something on first down, no? You want to be conservative - ok run on first and second down. Worst case you get nowhere. Even a 50 yard bomb on a 3rd and long with 15 seconds and one timeout left  would have been fine with Allen's arm. If it gets intercepted at the Giants 22 - they aint gonna move 40 yards in 10 seconds against our defense with just one timeout (I think they may have had one - not sure). So what is there to lose?

Just to put it in context: Shades of Marrone there.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/nfl-doug-pederson-rips-jaguars-coaches-patriots

These are the decisions that help a team win close games.

FWIW, Looks like even Marrone is learning and changing now - with that gutsy 2-point attempt at the end of the game against Houston (which was the right call).

Bottomline: We dont  need advanced analytics to tell us we gotta try for something there. This was a coaching miss. Hope someone asks him that in an interview. And hope he learns from it.

I think the team will get there.  IIRC we had a pick 6 in a similar situation against miami last year.  In this one i kind of felt like after the big punt return, and subsequent turnover that it was kind of a get to the locker room with your lead intact and get ready for the 2nd half.  I was actually ok with it at the time it occurred in the game.

I agree with the Marrone call as well - backup QB, on the road - try and get 2 yards.   I don't agree with his actual playcall though - just the decision to go for it.  

• Like (+1) 1

They struggled to move the ball in their previous possession, things got a bit heated between the two teams, and then they dodged a bullet on the long punt return. I was fine with taking a knee with a two touchdown lead and getting the ball first in the second half.

I wonder how many posters calling for them to try to score again before halftime would have been on this forum questioning the decision if it resulted in a turnover and a score going the other way?

• Like (+1) 9

14 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Part of me says go for more points.

I can understand the decision as they were dominating the Giants and were getting the ball to start the 3rd.  This is the low risk approach vs a turnover/injury.

It all worked out so no real heartburn over the decision.

Bills also were getting the ball to start the 2nd half.

IF they were not, I might think they would of tried to drive for a FG.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if Daboll and McD were a little gun shy because we turned the ball over 4 times against the Jets on relatively low risk plays.  

With a solid lead and confidence in the D, they may have decided to be conservative in their risk-reward analysis.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Bills also were getting the ball to start the 2nd half.

IF they were not, I might think they would of tried to drive for a FG.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

IMO thats even more reason to go for it. Double up on them, stomp on their throats. Instead we let them come back in the game with second half adjustments.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jletha said:

IMO thats even more reason to go for it. Double up on them, stomp on their throats. Instead we let them come back in the game with second half adjustments.

The previous game had Josh with 4 turnovers.  I would think when Josh and O can prove they are more reliable then the risk/reward

will be worth it.  At least that's the way McD probably sees it.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

On the road.  2 TD lead.  Just stopped them in scoring zone with a lucky turnover.

I can't argue with sitting on the ball at Bills own 28.   if 15 yards downfield I could see trying a couple throws.  

I agree with this. If they were a little further downfield then yes, you try an get into range. No need to chance a TO with a 14pt lead on the road in your own end of the field and give them the chance to cut that lead in half.. I believe they got the ball in the 2nd half anyways, so I have no problem with the decision either.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 2

This plus the entire 2nd half. We had a lead and played to just hold it. Watch other teams that are used to winning in the NFL and they are not letting up like this. We let the Giants back in the game. It shows a lack of faith in Allen. I would have like to see him sling it and keep the pedal down in the 2nd half. 

We had momentum, we were in control of the game. Why risk things. 

I also think McD is playing a very coy game this year. Once we established control against the Giants the play calling became very conservative. When we needed to score we scored. Honestly I think McD and Daboll are trying to limit the film that the Patriots have for week 4. 

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

This plus the entire 2nd half. We had a lead and played to just hold it. Watch other teams that are used to winning in the NFL and they are not letting up like this. We let the Giants back in the game. It shows a lack of faith in Allen. I would have like to see him sling it and keep the pedal down in the 2nd half. 

I think it's all about limiting film for the Patriots game. I'm betting on a lot of new tricks in that game

Just now, ngbills said:

2 drives had penalties, 3 rushes vs. 8 or 9 passes?  What makes it seem like the foots off the gas?

Drive 1 - Knox drop killed the drive. 

Drive 2 - Incomplete on 2nd and short on 3rd.  Started drive with a false start

Drive 3 - False start to start drive, incomplete, sack, short on 3rd.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The previous game had Josh with 4 turnovers.  I would think when Josh and O can prove they are more reliable then the risk/reward

will be worth it.  At least that's the way McD probably sees it.

You cant coach in fear of previous games. Everyone knows players need to have short memories, so do coaches. Last game was exactly that. In this game they had moved the ball extremely well and scored 21 points. They have proved they are reliable in this game. Its coaching to not lose, not coaching to win. Of course we did win but we came out flat in the third quarter and they got to within a TD.