Kroft injured his ankle today

Albany,n.y.

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

But.....what do we do when Sweeney gets hurt? Or Knox or Smith. I’ll trust the FO to know how to handle this.

I LOVE that we have the depth we have so he can miss time and we don’t miss a beat. Not too long ago we were lucky to have NFL quality players starting, much less as depth. 

Exactly.  I am cool with shelving him for 8 games and giving him time to recover so that he is ready to contribute when we are hopefully making a playoff push.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Exactly.  I am cool with shelving him for 8 games and giving him time to recover so that he is ready to contribute when we are hopefully making a playoff push.

I’m just happy it’s not the old injury to the foot popping up again. That would be much more concerning. This is a new thing, let it heal. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

But.....what do we do when Sweeney gets hurt? Or Knox or Smith. I’ll trust the FO to know how to handle this.

I LOVE that we have the depth we have so he can miss time and we don’t miss a beat. Not too long ago we were lucky to have NFL calibre players starting, much less as depth. 

What is Mr Croom up to? Did he get picked up? 

2 minutes ago, hemma said:

People gave up on Trent Murphy, too.

Little or nothing to be gained by cutting him now.

Exactly.

IIRC people got frustrated at another Bills player for having some chronic foot/ankle issues...Kyle Williams. Glad the FO didn’t over react like some of us here.:)

Just now, Augie said:

Didn’t he go on IR with a hand injury? I liked his athleticism but we seem loaded at the position now. 

Ah I believe you are right. I think they are ok at TE as well. And IF that is the position they get hit with the injury bug it’s not a devastating as say DE or cornerbacks or even heaven forbid QB. 

21 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Frankly, I'd rather see Knox and Sweeney instead of a guy who's not taken a game snap with the team.

Me too! I think both of them have a shot at being really good and they can block. Just go look at Knox blocking Ogletree last Sunday on the play where Ogletree got mad and threw him down. It reminded me of that scene in the movie The Blindside where Michael Ohler is penalized for "excessive blocking".

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m just happy it’s not the old injury to the foot popping up again. That would be much more concerning. This is a new thing, let it heal. 

Yes. It’s amazing how much people overreact to injuries. The browns have 17 of their 23 starters in the injury report. The eagles had so many injuries they cancelled practice on Tuesday. It’s football and injuries happen, that’s why you build depth. It’s a long season. If Knox gets hurt Week 10 or something and Kroft is ready to return I’m pretty sure fans will be glad he wasn’t cut week 3 for banging his ankle in practice. The nerve of him!

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes. It’s amazing how much people overreact to injuries. The browns have 17 of their 23 starters in the injury report. The eagles had so many injuries they cancelled practice on Tuesday. It’s football and injuries happen, that’s why you build depth. It’s a long season. If Knox gets hurt Week 10 or something and Kroft is ready to return I’m pretty sure fans will be glad he wasn’t cut week 3 for banging his ankle in practice. The nerve of him!

Not to mention - he might be really good.  Who knows!?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Why are Bills fans always so eager to get rid of their players? 

Right? The guy hasn't even had a chance to show what he can do in this offense. I'm not saying he's gonna come in and put up Gronk-type numbers, but the dude deserves a chance at the least. Obviously the front office brought him in for a reason. And on-field performance is only part of the equation for McBeane when they're adding players to this team. Pat DiMarco is a prime example. People on here call him useless because he doesn't have a huge impact on the field, but not every single player does. They've been putting him in motion on offense to help Allen identify coverage, and then he's on all three special teams units. But, his leadership and approach to the game is a big reason why he's here. When trying to guesstimate which free agents this team might be interested in, look for the guys with a strong off-field reputation. 

But yeah, overall there seems to be quite a few people who see/hear one or two things and they start saying, "Bah, cut him and save tree-fiddy on dat cap!" Murphy last season was a good example of this. Guy was still recovering from injuries, wasn't 100%, still made some plays here and there. Now he's healthy and he looks like he's getting back into that 2016 form where he racked up 9.5 sacks and was top five in the league in QB pressures. 

What's more, is if McBeane DID decide to cut Kroft and he went elsewhere, the first time he catches a TD pass there'd be fifty people on here blasting the team for cutting him, half those people would probably be ones that had previously called for his dismissal, haha. Can't win!

18 hours ago, folz said:

I guess you didn't see him in 2017 when he subbed in for an injured Eifert on the Bengals. He showed a lot of promise. 400 yards, 7 TDs, 9.6/rec, 67.7% catch rate.

I hope he comes back strong. How many years have we been starved for one TE. Now we could have four TEs that deserve playing time. Think of what Daboll can do with that.

I did notice that one good year for Kroft when Eifert went down. What it said to me is that Kroft was never regarded to be good enough to push Eifert for reps when Eifert was healthy.  We are trying to find someone as good as Eifert.  Someone who is not able to take any plays from Eifert has a ceiling of average. 

18 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Someone explain to me why some Bills fans are expressing anger or derision AT Kroft himself for getting injured again? 

He probably didn't do it on purpose. 

Some Bills fans are not pleased, but, mostly because BB is playing 4D chess at our expense.  Damn those Pats**!

8 hours ago, Plano said:

Cut him. We don't need him.

Bye bye, stop wasting a roster spot.

IR, no need to cut him.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep!

19 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

They needed someone to cover in case they didn't get a possible starter in the draft.

It was a reach but it's also been some bad luck with Kroft so far.

They took a shot hoping the injuries were behind him. They seem to gamble a bit on players with an injury history. I think this was an overpay and a bad decision. Murphy has played well in the first two games so fingers crossed. You're not gonna get a hit every at bat, so it's not the end of the world. I'm a big Sweeney guy and Knox has potential so I'm not really concerned about this one. Just calling it like I see it.

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

They took a shot hoping the injuries were behind him. They seem to gamble a bit on players with an injury history. I think this was an overpay and a bad decision. Murphy has played well in the first two games so fingers crossed. You're not gonna get a hit every at bat, so it's not the end of the world. I'm a big Sweeney guy and Knox has potential so I'm not really concerned about this one. Just calling it like I see it.

It seemed to be an overpay for me too.  I also thought that about Murphy but he is playing well so far this year.

I'll give Kroft a little more time especially since the kids seem to be playing ok so far.

17 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It is unfortunate but they at least can dump him after the season if he isn't able to get on the field much this season and take no cap hit. It is frustrating that they dumped some decent money on him but you have to think that they might have been able to spend that money in 2019 better elsewhere. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It is unfortunate but they at least can dump him after the season if he isn't able to get on the field much this season and take no cap hit. It is frustrating that they dumped some decent money on him but you have to think that they might have been able to spend that money in 2019 better elsewhere. 

Yeah, but it's not really going to affect much of anything considering the Bills still have tons of cap space going into next season. It's more an issue for the owner and I think Pegs is fine. 

It'd be great if Kroft surprised and strung together a productive, healthy stretch, but it's not all that significant in the big picture if that doesn't happen. 

But yeah, it would have been nice to add a contributor at the position. We're clearly better at the position this year vs last so that's a good thing. I've criticized the FO plenty when they make mistakes and will continue to do so, but I'm not seeing this one as a HUGE gaffe. They rolled the dice and it doesn't look like they're gonna win this round. Just win more rounds than you lose. That's the key.

Edited by LSHMEAB