NFL competition committee likely to look at Dolphins tanking

BillsFan4

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do people care?  Whose to say what is the right way and wrong way to rebuild a franchise?  Whose to say if coaches see certain players or not as guys that fit their plans, scheme, culture, and system?

I think Miami is foolish for trading their young talents like Minkah and Tunsil.  But it’s also just an opinion without having any sort of knowledge or reasoning from Miami’s side.  

End of of the day, they should be free to reboot and rebuild the way they best see fit.  Competition committee should only be involved if someone is violating something.  Trading players for first round picks violates nothing.

Tunsil was perplexing but the Minkah trade made zero sense to me, essentially they gain nothing as they still have a need at the position

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do people care?  Whose to say what is the right way and wrong way to rebuild a franchise?  Whose to say if coaches see certain players or not as guys that fit their plans, scheme, culture, and system?

I think Miami is foolish for trading their young talents like Minkah and Tunsil.  But it’s also just an opinion without having any sort of knowledge or reasoning from Miami’s side.  

End of of the day, they should be free to reboot and rebuild the way they best see fit.  Competition committee should only be involved if someone is violating something.  Trading players for first round picks violates nothing.

In some cases it matters and people care because they put down good money to attend games, and sponsors and TV. Stations put up good money to be represented by a team and to show the NFL product.. A competition committee can be involved because a team throwing a season away lowers the competition, the league also prides itself on 'Any given Sunday' and that in the NFL there always a chance your team could win.

1 minute ago, Say When... said:

Tunsil was perplexing but the Minkah trade made zero sense to me, essentially they gain nothing as they still have a need at the position

Minkah getting traded legit 1 year after getting drafted is bizarre to me.  He was picked 11 last year, now you're getting... who knows in 2020?  

Stills is a #2 receiver - no point paying that guy, and if that helped get you any additional draft comp, good for them.  He wasn't even particularly good - let alone someone thats getting you to the promised land.  

We all know whats going to happen.. it's miami!  Splashy draft picks and burn through their considerable cap space to get to 6-10 or something.  

16 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't think any serious high roller had money on Miami going into the season as winners. They were going to be bad, just not historically bad like the have been

It's not about winning but about identifying spreads and then determining if Miami could cover the spread in each game.  It's about money and not about fandom.

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I generally agree with you.  Though the rules could be tweaked some.  Limits on early round draft picks or adjustments to the number of compensatory picks.

7 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

In some cases it matters and people care because they put down good money to attend games, and sponsors and TV. Stations put up good money to be represented by a team and to show the NFL product.. A competition committee can be involved because a team throwing a season away lowers the competition, the league also prides itself on 'Any given Sunday' and that in the NFL there always a chance your team could win.

Fans can choose not to go to the games.  As for league reaction, see above, the rules could be tweaked.

Investigations and trying to prove how much a team is tanking would not work.

Lottery for the NFL is a no go with me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

That's what makes it a tough case; it would be hard to argue that the Dolphins have been trading away their players without recouping fair value.  The problem is that the value won't be realized until the future and in the meantime, there are 53 guys who have to take the field every week for the next three months.  

How true. For some of these players, their dreams of playing in NFL are being realized and they want to win. At the same time you have guys that want out and an organization giving up...so it seems.

Edited by Rocket94

Actually this is simple- investigate. If clear evidence of an intentional tank is found, hard evidence, take their first round pick away. 

Make an an example of them. 

Teams will be more careful in the future 

26 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

How true. For some of these players, their dreams of playing in NFL are being realized and they want to win. At the same time you have guys that want out and an organization giving up...so it seems.

The upshot is a bunch of guys with no business on nfl rosters get to get their arses kicked on television. “Hi mom”

?‍♂️ 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Actually this is simple- investigate. If clear evidence of an intentional tank is found, hard evidence, take their first round pick away. 

Make an an example of them. 

Teams will be more careful in the future 

The upshot is a bunch of guys with no business on nfl rosters get to get their arses kicked on television. “Hi mom”

?‍♂️ 

Yeah, that too! They have been exposed! Flushed out of their hiding spots! 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

But that's a contradiction.  If Miami and it's tank leave them in purgatory for a number of seasons,  what team would want to copy that?

How many teams have traded their entire draft for a player like NO did years ago?  None.

IF Miami tanked fully a couple of years ago and had the 1st overall pick would they have drafted Trubisky, Mahomes or Watson?

IF they drafted Mahomes and started him right away, would Mahomes have the kind of success that he has had OR could he have been 

ruined by a bad organization and team?

IND tanking for Luck didn't get them to the Super Bowl either.

I would say in today's NFL, what the Texans gave up for Tunsil was an ASTRONOMICAL amount... and it's no anywhere near the NO trade for Ricky Williams.

The more I read, I see people throwing out teams like Indy as an example of tanking working or people saying the Dolphins should or shouldn't be punished.  My take is this:

Indy tanked for Luck, we all know they did, and frankly most people were begging for the Bills and any other mediocre team to do the same.  Did it work out?  They got a franchise QB who was a generational talent, but they never properly built around him, and the absolute BEATING that man too as a result caused him to retire early before ever achieving what he COULD HAVE BEEN.

I would argue that the Dolphins have put themselves in a similar risky spot, they traded away all their proven talent and now are reliant on draft picks to try and get better... as we all know that's risky. Who's to say they don't take the next Mike Williams to protect Tua's blind side and gets him killed?  There are risks in what they're doing as well...

The main complaint is that the Dolphins have upset the competitive balance of the league by intentionally getting rid of all their talented players for futures.  Sooooo If the NFL is mad they're intentionally bad, can you explain how that is solved by the Dolphins being punished by having draft picks stripped away?  They absolutely WILL NOT get better if the league strips them of the picks they got for these players... so they wont have the players, or the picks, and they'll be terrible so no FAs will want to go there.  It's essentially a death sentence for a few years...  Does the NFL want to create a team that will be a door mat to the rest of the league for the next few years?  I highly doubt that, as it would upset the competitive balance of the league further.

I see them giving a slap on the wrist to Miami, may take 1 pick and a salary cap penalty fine or something... then they'll change the rules about what teams can get in compensation: IE: You can't trade for 3+ first rounders in the same season or something to that effect. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Considering this is a board that, for the most part, can't distinguish between "their," "they're," and "there," I would like to congratulate you on your use of the word "nefarious."

Underused in my book.

The puzzlewit possessor of the Miami club is trying to chisel the fans out of their case dough for football, and for me I think they need a gumshoe to find out who needs to be nailed by the league for this con.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I'd rather they look into Tom Brady and the NE Patriots nefarious deeds 

They can't. It would violate the back door dealing that Kraft, Bellicheat and Brady have with the the Commish and the Refs.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Actually they did. They signed Kerry Collins, who started 3 games, sucked, then got hurt, went on IR in late October & never played again.  It's a myth they didn't try to get a viable NFL QB.  It just didn't work out with Collins & then they were screwed because it was too late to get another potential starting QB, so they went with who was left on their roster.  

Kerry Collins was 39...in 2011 and finished 

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I hear what you are saying, but it also is best for an organization to build a winning franchise versus sticking in mediocrity or worse.  One bad year to rebuild for 10 good years is worth more in the long run.  Just my 2 cents though, and I actually dont really think Dolphins are doing a good job actually.  I just think its their right to try what they think will get them on the up swing fastest.  

2 hours ago, Say When... said:

Yeah my thoughts exactly