NFL competition committee likely to look at Dolphins tanking

BillsFan4

https://theathletic.com/1217367/2019/09/19/nfl-biz-competition-committee-likely-to-look-at-dolphins-tanking-first-lawsuit-filed-in-40-yards-of-gold-fiasco/  (sub. required)

By all accounts the Miami Dolphins are tanking, and to an extreme not seen before in previous iterations of clubs losing to gain cap space and draft picks. So much so that it has gotten the attention of the NFL competition committee.

“The committee will probably have the questions posed to it again, if not by the media, maybe by teams,” a league source said. “It’s likely the competition committee will have to address this issue.”

It’s not hard to see why the committee might be concerned. The fabric of the NFL is built on the “Any Given Sunday” ethos that infuses fans with the belief that any NFL team can beat another NFL team. It’s not baseball where each team has 162 sometimes meaningless games spread across regional sports channels or the NBA with 82 regular season games. NFL teams have only 16 games and they are all national, with an inordinate amount of pressure and hype for each contest.

The Dolphins were outscored 102-10 in the first two weeks, and that’s before unloading star safety Minkah Fitzpatrick for yet another first-round pick this week. They are favored to lose Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys by at least 22 points, a spread often seen when a collegiate powerhouse schedules a cupcake, and likely still too small in any event (this is most certainly not betting advice).

“It’s a bad look,” said one team source, who noted he is not allowed to publicly comment on other teams.

If the NFL acts, what should it do?

The NBA instituted a draft lottery in 1985 precisely to disincentivize teams from tanking. The worst record does not guarantee the No. 1 pick (the New York Knicks appeared to tank last season and ended up with the third pick). The NFL should make clear it does not reward purposeful losing. Some ideas include the draft lottery, limiting the number of first-round picks a team can hold, and reducing draft status based on sustained poor performance.

Personally, I think it is disgraceful what the dolphins are doing. There is no need to tank in the NFL. It’s not like the NHL or NBA where you can only get the most elite, franchise changing players with the top 2 picks in the draft. NFL Teams have found their QBs in every round of the draft. Sure, tanking for a top pick may give you a better chance at landing that franchise guy, but it’s still disgraceful to do it by tanking so blatantly. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Yep, just silly.

This will be about trying to discourage teams from doing this in the future, I think, rather than taking punitive action against Miami.

They want to get the word out that if you tank, you're going to have to deal with a lot of investigative hassle and BS, hoping it discourages teams from going this route.

At least that's my theory.

• Like (+1) 4

Threaten to take away one of their first's from the Tunsil or Fitzpatrick trades (i.e., create some kind of rule that a first round pick can not be traded within 1-2 years of their draft selection).   

That will kill this approach to tanking dead in its tracks...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I'd rather they look into Tom Brady and the NE Patriots nefarious deeds 

Considering this is a board that, for the most part, can't distinguish between "their," "they're," and "there," I would like to congratulate you on your use of the word "nefarious."

Underused in my book.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Anyone think the Pats organization sent Flores to Miami to tank so 1. Brady can get 2 EASIER wins per year  2.  Take any heat off their cheating ways which might need to increase in Brady's twilight years?  Yeah its ridiculous, but at this point its not beyond them in my opinion.  Plus Kraft like to spend time in south Florida I heard....

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

This will be about trying to discourage teams from doing this in the future, I think, rather than taking punitive action against Miami.

They want to get the word out that if you tank, you're going to have to deal with a lot of investigative hassle and BS, hoping it discourages teams from going this route.

At least that's my theory.

It also sends out a bad vibe about giving up. Just not a good message.

Just now, Eastcoastlegacy said:

Anyone think the Pats organization sent Flores to Miami to tank so 1. Brady can get 2 EASIER wins per year  2.  Take any heat off their cheating ways which might need to increase in Brady's twilight years?  Yeah its ridiculous, but at this point its not beyond them in my opinion.  Plus Kraft like to spend time in south Florida I heard....

I guess we'll know when Flores is hired back by the Patriots after he's fired by the Dolphins. #PatriotAsset

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Considering this is a board that, for the most part, can't distinguish between "their," "they're," and "there," I would like to congratulate you on your use of the word "nefarious."

Underused in my book.

Excellent observation - a Board also that does not know the proper usage of apostrophes, e.g., "will the Bill's win Sunday?" ...... drives me nuts

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
insert ?
  • Like (+1) 1