NFL Attendance Woes?

plenzmd1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:41 PM, thronethinker said:

NASCAR has been sinking since Earnhardt was killed at Daytona. He was the biggest draw and most popular/hated driver. NASCAR never got another driver with that type of draw. 

I lived in Daytona Beach in the early 2000s..and was a big fan of Nascar at the time.  I'd say the popularity of Nascar kept going up a few years past the death of Dale Sr.  Through at least 2004 or 2005, a ticket to the Daytona could hardly be found for list price.  I think it was sometime around 2008-2010 that interest dropped off a bit.

Dale Junior was just as popular as his dad (maybe not with the old-timers, but with the casual fan for sure).  Jeff Gordon was polarizing but he brought in a lot of fans and eyes to the TV.  I think Jimmy Johnson hurt the sport. When he started winning a lot...he just had so little personality...on the track or off.  Add that to the car-of-tomorrow fiasco...and the whole playoff thing (we watch Nascar to see who wins EACH race...not to have a made-up playoff system pushed on us,) and I think the decline of the sport really started about 2008...and accelerated dramatically from 2012 on.

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I lived in Daytona Beach in the early 2000s..and was a big fan of Nascar at the time.  I'd say the popularity of Nascar kept going up a few years past the death of Dale Sr.  Through at least 2004 or 2005, a ticket to the Daytona could hardly be found for list price.  I think it was sometime around 2008-2010 that interest dropped off a bit.

Dale Junior was just as popular as his dad (maybe not with the old-timers, but with the casual fan for sure).  Jeff Gordon was polarizing but he brought in a lot of fans and eyes to the TV.  I think Jimmy Johnson hurt the sport. When he started winning a lot...he just had so little personality...on the track or off.  Add that to the car-of-tomorrow fiasco...and the whole playoff thing (we watch Nascar to see who wins EACH race...not to have a made-up playoff system pushed on us,) and I think the decline of the sport really started about 2008...and accelerated dramatically from 2012 on.

You're spot on.  In addition to the factors you mentioned,  the Great Recession hurt NASCAR more than any other sport.  It's so built on sponsorship and sponsoring motor sports was one of the first things companies cut when they were hurting so bad

On September 19, 2019 at 11:18 AM, vorpma said:

Do not underestimate the impact of the anthem protests two years ago, the Antonio Brown drama and others, and the fact millennials are really not pure football fans. Certain cities such as Green Bay and Buffalo view teams as tradition, part of culture, family, growing up, through generations; how long that holds up I have no idea. But the NFL owners and players better start paying attention to the empty seats and come up with the right answer then address as needed.

I have friends across the country that spend big money on college but will not turn the NFL on; why?

In 1984 I attended Rams and Falcons at the LA collesium  with Eric Dickerson in his prime; lots of empty seats and those in attendance appeared bored.

The Rams played in Anaheim in 1984.

11 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

If this is true -and I seriously doubt it!, wth did Jr. ever do to warrant such adoration? Answer: Nothing. He’s just the living heir to the Legend. I agree with the poster who said NASCAR fandemonium died at the wall that fateful day in Daytona. I haven’t watched a full race since.

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

If this is true -and I seriously doubt it!, wth did Jr. ever do to warrant such adoration? Answer: Nothing. He’s just the living heir to the Legend. I agree with the poster who said NASCAR fandemonium died at the wall that fateful day in Daytona. I haven’t watched a full race since.

Earnhardt's death actually was the beginning of the spike in NASCAR ratings.  Before he died in 2001, ratings were stagnant.  They would peak 4 years later.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There will be five college games this weekend that all with have NCAA playoff implications. All should be good.  

Michigan Wisconsin and ND Georgia will be better than all but maybe 3 or 4 NFL games. 

There will be zero casual NFL fans watching Bills Bengals. 

Now if Buffalo gets to 5-1 or 6-1 then the casual fan will start to take notice.

You’re not wrong, but Buffalo-Cinci will not air in a single TV market outside of upstate NY and southern Ohio/northern KY.

Funny that ND-UGA is being hyped.  UGA is a 14-point favorite.  In the NFL, that would be considered a colossal mismatch and probably not worth watching.

They need to bring back the blackout rule. If you want to see your team play, watch them at the stadium. I think a new domed stadium downtown would be great. It draw in a lot of people that don't go to many games anymore since they don't have to deal with the elements 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

i don't know enough about NASCAR to say how Jr. ranked with Sr. in popularity, but I do know that Jr. was THE most popular driver in NASCAR after Sr.'s death. 

6 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

They need to bring back the blackout rule. If you want to see your team play, watch them at the stadium. I think a new domed stadium downtown would be great. It draw in a lot of people that don't go to many games anymore since they don't have to deal with the elements 

It would allow them to put out wine and cheese spreads without danger of getting rained or snowed on.

PSLs of course are a bonus!

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It would allow them to put out wine and cheese spreads without danger of getting rained or snowed on.

PSLs of course are a bonus!

...what is Bflo's share of ticket revenues for home games?..isn't there a split with the the visiting team?......do they keep 100% of concession sales, suite sales/suite food and beverage as well as parking?....

7 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Yes, make a move so that TV ratings go down and devalue the network contract and drop the salary cap going forward.  That will put fans in the New Era Dome!!

A full house beats 3 of a kind right ? The house will be full & rocking in Buffalo today the NFL can have all their luxury stadiums with all their amenities i will take a stadium filled with true fans over the half full stadiums with all their perks any day !!

GO BILLS !!! 

Edited by T master

On 9/19/2019 at 11:03 PM, Augie said:

Attendance is one thing. Are there revenue woes? That’s the bottom line. What does the future look like?  ”Different” is fine, if you adapt. 

revenue is one part of the financial picture

its not what I would recommend using for the health of an entity

the bottom line, profit, is way more important than revenue

the more they scream revenue is going up up up the more I see a red flag

Oh my, just pulled up the recording of the MNF game. The WHOLE upper deck is empty, Bears just scored a pick 6, and all you can hear is Lets Go Bears!

I went to plenty of games at Rich when 40K was considered a great day, and 20K was the norm. There may only be 20K Skins fans there tonight, and yes i am serious

Walk in prices for all the games this week..only listing home teAMS

Green Bay  $68 ( man people do not ***** Thursday night games)

NYG            $69

Ravens       $79

Cots            $42

Houston    $42

Falcons      $52

Miami        $15

Rams         $16( huge stadium though)

Lions         $62

Cards         $44 (Seattle traveling)

Denver       $58

Steelers $36 ( they lost interest quick)

Then

New Orleans  $160

Bears               $155

And the Bills  $128

• Like (+1) 1

Trust me on this one … the reason that nfl and college FB attendance is down can be traced to mobile tickets. Not only do most of the over 40 crowd hate using them but lets not overlook how many big time ticket brokers and not buying them as they were in the past when using hard tickets. Many brokers like them or hate them helped sell out stadiums if they are not buying and this is what you get.

9 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

Trust me on this one … the reason that nfl and college FB attendance is down can be traced to mobile tickets. Not only do most of the over 40 crowd hate using them but lets not overlook how many big time ticket brokers and not buying them as they were in the past when using hard tickets. Many brokers like them or hate them helped sell out stadiums if they are not buying and this is what you get.

That is an interesting point.  The way they have the electronic tickets now pretty much has eliminated the scalper at the stadium.  Even this weeks game, a hot ticket, if you go on vivid seats/stub hub, there are seats available all over the stadium.  The fees they charge are ridiculous too.  For a pair of $110 seats($220 all together) your paying almost $80 in fees.  That is highway robbery.  Prices are dropping & I think they will continue to drop as we get closer to Sunday.

17 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

I agree for the most part.  There are other factors too.  But I have season tickets for another major team (not in Buffalo) and since mobile-only tickets have been introduced my ability to sell the tix has been greatly hampered.  Buyers are gone.