NFL Attendance Woes?

plenzmd1

In PA Online sports betting is now legal.  You can bet continuously on the game during the game. There are bets for each drive result. The moneyline and spreads update through out.  These game time wagers are quite a bit of fun.  It even makes a titans-jags game exciting.   I imagine that this point its a small group of people who do this.  But if you enjoy this sort of thing, you can follow 5 games at a time at home, while watching the Bills and rooting or betting on them.   This may not hurt the live attendance, but it wont help. 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

But what's the tailgate situation like at home? If you drink that much in a stadium parking lot you're a 'hardcore fan', drink that much on your couch and you're an 'alcoholic'.....

I agree, but I think what you said is exactly the issue. The league is slowly making staying home with friends the more enjoyable option. They are phasing out people hanging out in the parking lot binge drinking. I’m not talking about the table crushing stupidity, but simply the ability to have a few drinks and enjoy some food. Fans across the league are being forced to “tailgate” at bars and/or team sanctioned areas. Without the real tailgate experience, why not stay home? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree, but I think what you said is exactly the issue. The league is slowly making staying home with friends the more enjoyable option. They are phasing out people hanging out in the parking lot binge drinking. I’m not talking about the table crushing stupidity, but simply the ability to have a few drinks and enjoy some food. Fans across the league are being forced to “tailgate” at bars and/or team sanctioned areas. Without the real tailgate experience, why not stay home? 

Agree except the binge drinking. 

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The real problem for live attendance remains what the NFL has long been worried about: the ever-increasing quality of television. New TVs are phenomenal, and why go through the hassle of attending a game when you can watch it on your awesome TV?

With surround sound and no schmuck spilling beer all over at you. Can also pause when you have to use the John, with no wait or having to wash your hands next to someone with their d*ck out peeing in the sink next to you. Real reason to me though is cost. I'm going this weekend, as my wife bought me tickets for bday, but i look at price on ticket, plus parking, plus beer and snacks and am thinking damn its free on my couch and I never miss a play.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, I just use that phrase because the league has used lots of language regarding “excessive drinking” as a no no. I don’t care how much someone drinks, as long as antisocial doesn’t accompany their drinking. Everyone has different levels of tolerance, so just kick out the trouble makers. When language is used that restricts the amount of an activity allowed to take place, you enter a gray area where that right could be taken away entirely in the future. I truly believe that alcohol consumption in any league sanctioned parking area (tailgating) will be banned outright in the future. 

I am sure that will help encourage such companies which currently advertise to advertise more.

I think with NFL you need to follow the money.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2019 at 12:34 PM, plenzmd1 said:

I have been noticing tons of empty seats in most of the games on TV lately, and when I went in to place my picks this week,  here are the walk in prices to some  games  i was presented  with, all non standing room

Tenn @ jacksonville  $25 

Atl@ Colts                   $28

Raiders@Minn            $65

Bears@Skins              $38

But thee kicker is the Arizona Home game vs the Panthers

Not a seat in the upper bowl ABOVE $16!!!!!!

I know they always talk about Buffalo not being an NFL size city with enough corps to buy Clubs and Luxury Boxes, but at some point doesn't a full house paying face make up for those revenues? And look way better on TV..thus driving ratings?

BTW, last week the Bills had at least 6K seats still available it looked like on Ticketmaster, only some stragglers left now.

As long as the TV money keeps flowing NFL will want smaller luxury stadiums full of suites. 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Isn't so lucky that you had one of your favorites to add?

Luckily for us you cannot post one of the nudes ones for that.

oh there is plenty of Peterpan guy...… I can't remember who started that game but I still get a kick out of it. 

5 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

But what's the tailgate situation like at home? If you drink that much in a stadium parking lot you're a 'hardcore fan', drink that much on your couch and you're an 'alcoholic'.....

At home......there is nobody else to judge me! The dog ain’t talking! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

As long as the TV money keeps flowing NFL will want smaller luxury stadiums full of suites. 

That pretty much sums it up. The teams have to split the revenue from regular seats, but get to keep all the revenue from the suites. 

There will be five college games this weekend that all with have NCAA playoff implications. All should be good.  

Michigan Wisconsin and ND Georgia will be better than all but maybe 3 or 4 NFL games. 

There will be zero casual NFL fans watching Bills Bengals. 

Now if Buffalo gets to 5-1 or 6-1 then the casual fan will start to take notice.

And the Ralph is always sold out early in the season! It’s usually sold out until December, especially if the team is bad.

that why moving the Bills never made any sense to me. A passion, dedicated fan base cannot be created over night. And that why Bills fans are #1 :thumbsup:

On 9/19/2019 at 11:34 AM, plenzmd1 said:

I have been noticing tons of empty seats in most of the games on TV lately, and when I went in to place my picks this week,  here are the walk in prices to some  games  i was presented  with, all non standing room

Tenn @ jacksonville  $25 

Atl@ Colts                   $28

Raiders@Minn            $65

Bears@Skins              $38

But thee kicker is the Arizona Home game vs the Panthers

Not a seat in the upper bowl ABOVE $16!!!!!!

I know they always talk about Buffalo not being an NFL size city with enough corps to buy Clubs and Luxury Boxes, but at some point doesn't a full house paying face make up for those revenues? And look way better on TV..thus driving ratings?

BTW, last week the Bills had at least 6K seats still available it looked like on Ticketmaster, only some stragglers left now.

The middle class went bye bye. Most people can't afford tix these days.

8 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

In PA Online sports betting is now legal.  You can bet continuously on the game during the game. There are bets for each drive result. The moneyline and spreads update through out.  These game time wagers are quite a bit of fun.  It even makes a titans-jags game exciting.   I imagine that this point its a small group of people who do this.  But if you enjoy this sort of thing, you can follow 5 games at a time at home, while watching the Bills and rooting or betting on them.   This may not hurt the live attendance, but it wont help. 

Be nice if it were legal in NYS because those state laws track your phone/device and don't allow you to bet outside their jurisdiction. It would be kinda cool to be able to do this AT a Bills game. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/19/2019 at 12:40 PM, ShipUPride said:

I've actually been wondering the same thing.  Week one, Jets/Bills, the stadium seemed half empty in the third quarter with the game still in reach.  I wonder if the tipping point has happened and more people prefer to stay at home.  Concessions and comfort are better at home.

For me the tipping point of staying home was in the early 2000's.  I had season tickets with a friend for years...and one day we were sitting outside at the Stadium during a December game...it was in the upper 30's...kinda windy..raining...and that day we BOTH had the same idea...we could be sitting at home eating food for less than half the price in a dry, heated living room.  That was the day.  The arrival of High-Def big screens cemented it for us.

The reality is..for many/most people, the gameday experience is better at home.  That is why a lot of stadiums and arenas are adding more restaurants, meeting areas, games for the kids on site.  The die-hards will still go to the games...but you need to keep adding more and more to get the casual fan to go to the stadium. I am now one of them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1