NFL Attendance Woes?

plenzmd1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This statement is more true than you think. UCLA can't even get students to come to the Rose Bowl anymore. Unless you offer free wifi and electronics....

Do the students even know what their team is called the Bruins?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I made a comment along these lines yesterday.  Everything moves in cycles and the phenomenal success enjoyed by the NFL won't stay that way forever.

Is the NFL actually losing steam, or are people just leaning more towards viewing from the comfort of their couch on their giant HD TV’s? The couch involves no traffic, no parking costs or hassles, perfect weather, your own food and drink at grocery store prices and a readily accessible and hopefully clean bathroom, plus all the other obvious advantages. 

I’m not saying that’s the entire reason, I’m just wondering what’s driving this and that has to be one factor. When I was younger you only got the game they gave you and you watched it on your crappy little TV. Very different times, but maybe not worse for the NFL....just different?  

I think there is a very good reason stadiums tend to be getting smaller. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This statement is more true than you think. UCLA can't even get students to come to the Rose Bowl anymore. Unless you offer free wifi and electronics....

I’ve not been to a game in Gainesville, but friends tell me they have a hard time getting and keeping students at Univ of Florida home games. Poor cell reception is said to be the leading cause. 

55 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I strongly agree. I have lots of friends who refuse to even watch the NFL on TV.

I have a friend who hasn’t watched an NFL game since the strike back in the 80’s. These things hurt them long-term, and they know that! 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I don't pay attention to NASCAR, so I have to ask, is their crowd starting to "age out."

IMO, that is a big part of it.  However,

the older fans have stopped watching in droves due to all the 'fixes' and 'improvements'.

Trying to make it 'fair' by making all cars clones of each other, changing the rules to appeal to a younger audience (stage racing and new chase for the cup playoffs).

Nascar was great in the 80's and 90's, then they tried to improve something that did not need improving and fix something that wasn't broken.

While trying to get new young fans interested is a BIG problem, it would be much easier to get them interested if nascar didn't totally ruin a great thing thus driving away their base of fans.

• Thank you (+1) 1

More people having better TVs at home. Computers at their side with all their fantasy updates to the minute. Sitting on the couch in their underwear all day. 

The only thing is, if that were true, the tv ratings would increase significantly over the last few years and it’s just not overall. 

Id dare say that society as a whole is turning itself off of football due to the fact that parents are starting to see the health risks to it. 

In that same breath, I’d bet that Baseball ratings and attendance are up over the last few years. As is Basketball. 

4 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

But the TV product is just so damn good these days, especially if you're a fantasy guy, which I'm not.  Redzone, HD, convenience to home amenities...going to a live sporting event today is just not worth it.  Baseball is hemorrhaging worse than the NFL.. 

I'm going to disagree on the TV product being damn good.  Technically and variety, yes, but entertainment not so much.

The instant replay reviews and the refs standing around trying to figure out what the rules are is making it almost unwatchable.  There was always too  much lag time with all the time outs.   But now it's ridiculous.

Thank goodness I have TIVO and can fast forward through all that.

College football is even worse.

4 hours ago, stosh64 said:

IMO, that is a big part of it.  However,

the older fans have stopped watching in droves due to all the 'fixes' and 'improvements'.

Trying to make it 'fair' by making all cars clones of each other, changing the rules to appeal to a younger audience (stage racing and new chase for the cup playoffs).

Nascar was great in the 80's and 90's, then they tried to improve something that did not need improving and fix something that wasn't broken.

While trying to get new young fans interested is a BIG problem, it would be much easier to get them interested if nascar didn't totally ruin a great thing thus driving away their base of fans.

NASCAR has been sinking since Earnhardt was killed at Daytona. He was the biggest draw and most popular/hated driver. NASCAR never got another driver with that type of draw. 

Edited by thronethinker
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, thronethinker said:

NASCAR has been sinking since Earnhardt was killed at Daytona. He was the biggest draw and most popular/hated driver. NASCAR never got another driver with that type of draw. 

Spent a couple weeks in a beautiful oceanfront property in Alabama's "Red Neck Riviera" in 2015.

Got talking NASCAR with hardcore loyal Tallegada attendees on the beach. They enlightened me. 

Not that they spoke for all the NASCAR drop off then, but their sentiment had merit I didn't see.

Edited by I am the egg man

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Is the NFL actually losing steam, or are people just leaning more towards viewing from the comfort of their couch on their giant HD TV’s? The couch involves no traffic, no parking costs or hassles, perfect weather, your own food and drink at grocery store prices and a readily accessible and hopefully clean bathroom, plus all the other obvious advantages. 

I’m not saying that’s the entire reason, I’m just wondering what’s driving this and that has to be one factor. When I was younger you only got the game they gave you and you watched it on your crappy little TV. Very different times, but maybe not worse for the NFL....just different?  

I think there is a very good reason stadiums tend to be getting smaller. 

But what's the tailgate situation like at home? If you drink that much in a stadium parking lot you're a 'hardcore fan', drink that much on your couch and you're an 'alcoholic'.....

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Haha (+1) 1