NFL Attendance Woes?

plenzmd1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

TV networks cover the real costs.  Gate receipts are like pin money for the owners.  If those are secondary market prices, it doesn't matter.  The team already got face value.

MLB has gotten to the point where it doesn't matter if anyone shows up to the games--but that's because each team has their own networks (for the most part).

Why does this need to be explained again and again and....?

48 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If sports as we know them are going to morph into some sort of new entertainment product, where the consumer mostly watches via remote technology and not live at the game itself, well then....maybe we should stop building multi billionaire dollar sporting palaces for hosting football games.

There's only so much you can do with those things beyond playing football.  

But that's the problem, the teams need the new billion dollar stadiums to get people to the games. The idea now is that you don't have to go to the stadium to just watch the game, they have other things to do along with areas for you to socialize while the game is on and your out with your friends. The stadium is now also an area to spend time at after the game with restaurants and bars. They don't want the places anymore where you go to the game, and once it's over you hop back on a train or in your car and go home.

TV money has ruined the game day experience. More time is spent selling consumer goods than actually playing ball. 

19 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

I think this plays into the fact that the Bills should stay put.. renovate as needed.. its the atomosphere that will bring fans to the game. IMHO , the crowd noise, outdoors, just enjoying the element of NFL football without the bells, whistles, suites etc. is what will ultimately bring the fans to the games..  

Winning brings fans to games. 

I have friends who are PSL holders with a couple other NFL teams.  2+ years ago they had no trouble reselling their game tickets for a reasonable profit if they could not attend. Not sure of the exact reason, but they are having a tough time reselling their tix these days for anything above face value.  Often times they are selling below face.    People just aren't as into going anymore.  Places like Green Bay and Buffalo stay steady because for 8 times a year it's the BIG event in town.  In the big cities, it's not that big a deal.  

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I have friends who are PSL holders with a couple other NFL teams.  2+ years ago they had no trouble reselling their game tickets for a reasonable profit if they could not attend. Not sure of the exact reason, but they are having a tough time reselling their tix these days for anything above face value.  Often times they are selling below face.    People just aren't as into going anymore.  Places like Green Bay and Buffalo stay steady because for 8 times a year it's the BIG event in town.  In the big cities, it's not that big a deal.  

It depends on the market.  Football has never been important in Miami, for example, but it is a huge deal in the metro DC area where many are passionate about the Redskins. 

NY and Chicago are big cities.  The Jets, Giants, and Bears have passionate fan bases.

LA?   Not so much.

It depends.

Do not underestimate the impact of the anthem protests two years ago, the Antonio Brown drama and others, and the fact millennials are really not pure football fans. Certain cities such as Green Bay and Buffalo view teams as tradition, part of culture, family, growing up, through generations; how long that holds up I have no idea. But the NFL owners and players better start paying attention to the empty seats and come up with the right answer then address as needed.

I have friends across the country that spend big money on college but will not turn the NFL on; why?

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It depends on the market.  Football has never been important in Miami, for example, but it is a huge deal in the metro DC area where many are passionate about the Redskins. 

NY and Chicago are big cities.  The Jets, Giants, and Bears have passionate fan bases.

LA?   Not so much.

It depends.

In 1984 I attended Rams and Falcons at the LA collesium  with Eric Dickerson in his prime; lots of empty seats and those in attendance appeared bored.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Do not underestimate the impact of the anthem protests two years ago, the Antonio Brown drama and others, and the fact millennials are really not pure football fans. Certain cities such as Green Bay and Buffalo view teams as tradition, part of culture, family, growing up, through generations; how long that holds up I have no idea. But the NFL owners and players better start paying attention to the empty seats and come up with the right answer then address as needed.

I have friends across the country that spend big money on college but will not turn the NFL on; why?

In 1984 I attended Rams and Falcons at the LA collesium  with Eric Dickerson in his prime; lots of empty seats and those in attendance appeared bored.

LA and NFL have never gone together.  

Needless to say, the only reason the NFL is always trying to make football work in that area is the raw size of the market and revenue.  Or lost revenue, when a team isn't there.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, iinii said:

TV money has ruined the game day experience. More time is spent selling consumer goods than actually playing ball. 

Winning brings fans to games. 

In most cases it does.. but look at  LA . its a different breed of cat i know.. but last sunday's Rams-Saints  game..very surprising amount of empty seats.. i know the Coliseum is huge.. but so is the LA market.. 

Edited by dwight in philly

7 minutes ago, vorpma said:

As you say, it's all about the local culture of a geographic area.

Let's say the NFL expanded and put a franchise in Birmingham, Alabama.  Huge football culture, right?

I think some fans would embrace the new team and think its cool they now have a ticket to the NFL party, but there is no way in hell the Birmingham NFL team would replace the absolute RELIGION that Auburn and 'Bama football is in that state.  

No way!  It's just not the culture of that part of the country to care about the NFL; they love their college football.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have been noticing tons of empty seats in most of the games on TV lately, and when I went in to place my picks this week,  here are the walk in prices to some  games  i was presented  with, all non standing room

Tenn @ jacksonville  $25 

Atl@ Colts                   $28

Raiders@Minn            $65

Bears@Skins              $38

But thee kicker is the Arizona Home game vs the Panthers

Not a seat in the upper bowl ABOVE $16!!!!!!

I know they always talk about Buffalo not being an NFL size city with enough corps to buy Clubs and Luxury Boxes, but at some point doesn't a full house paying face make up for those revenues? And look way better on TV..thus driving ratings?

BTW, last week the Bills had at least 6K seats still available it looked like on Ticketmaster, only some stragglers left now.

The cheap seats just ice the cake.  TV revenues aside from the money generated by the stadiums, start with luxury boxes and these new seat licensing price structures, then of course you have astronomical vendor margins.  

The empty cheap seats don’t cause too much loss and the empty premium seating was probably purchased even if no one is sitting there. 

It's too damn expensive for people to go if the on-field product isn't really good. Bills games are probably still the cheapest in the NFL.

I live in the Chicago area, and even though I don't care about the Bears, we go to an occasional game. To take my wife & 2 kids, it's about $600, even for upper deck seats, and that's without beers. I could drive to Buffalo for the weekend, get a hotel, & see the Bills play for about the same. I had a chance to go the Bears/Bills preseason game last year (week 4) for half of face value, $125 tickets. After parking & food/drinks, it would've been $400 to see a final preseason game with all scrubs playing, from the upper deck. F that. 

56 minutes ago, vorpma said:

I strongly agree. I have lots of friends who refuse to even watch the NFL on TV.

2 hours ago, stosh64 said:

All the rule changes trying to turn the NFL into a risk free sport, let alone the horrendous officiating.

It wasn't broke yet the NFL PTB feel the need to 'fix' it a little every year.  

Replay reviews have taken over the game.

Bowing to the 'woke' crowd despite most of them not being NFL fans in the first place.

Similar circumstances have killed NASCAR, look at the attendance there.

I hope that isn't the future of the NFL.

I don't pay attention to NASCAR, so I have to ask, is their crowd starting to "age out."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe this is why the Pegulas are playing the delay of game thing concerning a new stadium.  Sure, there have been think tanks, studies done, etc. etc, but no actual action towards a new stadium. Hmmm?

Go Bills!!!