NFL Attendance Woes?

plenzmd1

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I made a comment along these lines yesterday.  Everything moves in cycles and the phenomenal success enjoyed by the NFL won't stay that way forever.

Yeah it certainly does, football is not exempt from the laws of human nature and cycles.  For decades few could imagine any sport more popular than Baseball in America, l  In the thirties the three big sports were Baseball, Boxing and Horse Racing.  Baseball right now is #2, Boxing #6  and horse racing not in the top 20...ultimate Frisbee is more popular than horse racing now..

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I made a comment along these lines yesterday.  Everything moves in cycles and the phenomenal success enjoyed by the NFL won't stay that way forever.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

Other than Minnesota, those are all pretty soft NFL markets.

But the TV product is just so damn good these days, especially if you're a fantasy guy, which I'm not.  Redzone, HD, convenience to home amenities...going to a live sporting event today is just not worth it.  Baseball is hemorrhaging worse than the NFL.. 

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah it certainly does, football is not exempt from the laws of human nature and cycles.  For decades few could imagine any sport more popular than Baseball in America, l  In the thirties the three big sports were Baseball, Boxing and Horse Racing.  Baseball right now is #2, Boxing #6  and horse racing not in the top 20...ultimate Frisbee is more popular than horse racing now..

LOL.  See my post about baseball being "The Sport" in America around the time of WWII.

I see we are of a similar mind.

Just now, Ned Flanders said:

Other than Minnesota, those are all pretty soft NFL markets.

But the TV product is just so damn good these days, especially if you're a fantasy guy, which I'm not.  Redzone, HD, convenience to home amenities...going to a live sporting event today is just not worth it.  Baseball is hemorrhaging worse than the NFL.. 

If sports as we know them are going to morph into some sort of new entertainment product, where the consumer mostly watches via remote technology and not live at the game itself, well then....maybe we should stop building multi billionaire dollar sporting palaces for hosting football games.

There's only so much you can do with those things beyond playing football.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

If sports as we know them are going to morph into some sort of new entertainment product, where the consumer mostly watches via remote technology and not live at the game itself, well then....maybe we should stop building multi billionaire dollar sporting palaces for hosting football games.

There's only so much you can do with those things beyond playing football.  

Excellent observation.  End up like dormant like shopping malls and other retail outlets.

23 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

New generation kids prefer to stay at home, vape and cut their wrists 

Funny! (PLEASE tell me it’s not true!)

70” 4k’s, all the booze & food you can consume, friends & family gathering on Sunday afternoons, free parking, smoking available on the patio, head calls are taken care of during a “30 second time out” & zero weather concerns all contribute. Many southern teams struggle to fill the stands every year. Here in Jax, FL, Heat Exhaustion is a major issue every game. Miami & Tampa as well. When the teams aren’t good (see Standings), people don’t go.

• Like (+1) 3

PSL's have a lot to do with this. People forked over money for the right to buy season tickets for 20 plus years but many bought these seats as a investment with the intention of resale. Now there is a bunch of tickets bought but not being resold to fans

NFL already pocketed the money, but all those empty seats are definitely an embarrassment for a league supposedly worth $9 billion... I thnk the whole concept of PSL's was whacked to begin with... this is the result IMO

Edited by ddaryl
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

70” 4k’s, all the booze & food you can consume, friends & family gathering on Sunday afternoons, free parking, smoking available on the patio, head calls are taken care of during a “30 second time out” & zero weather concerns all contribute. Many southern teams struggle to fill the stands every year. Here in Jax, FL, Heat Exhaustion is a major issue every game. Miami & Tampa as well. When the teams aren’t good (see Standings), people don’t go.

Surprised most Southern teams are not domes and used for hurricane season emergency shelters since mostly paid for by taxes.

Just now, ddaryl said:

PSL's have a lot to do with this. People forked over money for the right to buy season tickets for 20 plus years but many they bought these seats as a investment with the intention of resale. Now there is a bunch of tickets bought but not being resold to fans

NFL already pocketed the money, but all those empty seats are definitely an embarrassment for a league supposedly worth $9 billion... I thnk the whole concept of PSL's was whacked to begin with... this is the result IMO

PSLs are paid and now NFL trying to make owners of tickets to pay even more to sell forcing them to use approved vendors.

NFL tickets has become like timeshares now with rules changed after sales.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Surprised most Southern teams are not domes and used for hurricane season emergency shelters since mostly paid for by taxes.

PSLs are paid and now NFL trying to make owners of tickets to pay even more to sell forcing them to use approved vendors.

Yeah that will only continue to drive down the resale values.. Yes the NFL has trapped a lot of fans with PSL's. I thought it was a fools move when I 1st read about these things, now we can see how ridiculous they are. Time Shares, Condo minium or Mobile Home park fees are always rising.....  

I really feel the NFL is going to regress regarding revenue trend in the near future

25 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You are right and it also happens in college. I think that it was 103 degrees on the field at Alabama for their second game this year. They had quite a few empty seats, and I know that I would have walked right the #^*k out even if I paid top dollar for tickets.

Years ago I was at a Bills game when it was in the high 80's. It was awful. Baking in the sun isn't for everyone, ya know?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I think this plays into the fact that the Bills should stay put.. renovate as needed.. its the atomosphere that will bring fans to the game. IMHO , the crowd noise, outdoors, just enjoying the element of NFL football without the bells, whistles, suites etc. is what will ultimately bring the fans to the games..