NFL Attendance Woes?

plenzmd1

I have been noticing tons of empty seats in most of the games on TV lately, and when I went in to place my picks this week,  here are the walk in prices to some  games  i was presented  with, all non standing room

Tenn @ jacksonville  $25 

Atl@ Colts                   $28

Raiders@Minn            $65

Bears@Skins              $38

But thee kicker is the Arizona Home game vs the Panthers

Not a seat in the upper bowl ABOVE $16!!!!!!

I know they always talk about Buffalo not being an NFL size city with enough corps to buy Clubs and Luxury Boxes, but at some point doesn't a full house paying face make up for those revenues? And look way better on TV..thus driving ratings?

BTW, last week the Bills had at least 6K seats still available it looked like on Ticketmaster, only some stragglers left now.

Edited by plenzmd1

I've actually been wondering the same thing.  Week one, Jets/Bills, the stadium seemed half empty in the third quarter with the game still in reach.  I wonder if the tipping point has happened and more people prefer to stay at home.  Concessions and comfort are better at home.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have been noticing tons of empty seats in most of the games on TV lately, and when went in to place my picks this week,  here are the walk prices to games  i was presented for games this weekend..all non- standing room

Tenn @ jacksonville  $25 

Tenn @ jacksonville  $25     w/o Foles .... they have a suspect D thus far

Atl@ Colts                   $28    No Andy Luck 

Raiders@Minn            $65    probably a far corner seat 

Bears@Skins              $38    the Deadskins have been selling less and less to the locals as the years pass by.  their 6 year wait list somehow became non existent in the last 2 years 

1 minute ago, ShipUPride said:

I've actually been wondering the same thing.  Week one, Jets/Bills, the stadium seemed half empty in the third quarter with the game still in reach.  I wonder if the tipping point has happened and more people prefer to stay at home.  Concessions and comfort are better at home.

start of 3rd is always empty in every stadium, so i always look at the stands middle of 3rd..and most games they empty still!!!!

Cardinals, exciting as all hell rookie, played a really good road game last week, prolly get a win this week and be right in it...walk in for $13!!!!!!!!!!! Wholy moley!

TV networks cover the real costs.  Gate receipts are like pin money for the owners.  If those are secondary market prices, it doesn't matter.  The team already got face value.

MLB has gotten to the point where it doesn't matter if anyone shows up to the games--but that's because each team has their own networks (for the most part).

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

enn @ jacksonville  $25     w/o Foles .... they have a suspect D thus far  (Minshew was awesome last week, win tonight they right back in it)

Atl@ Colts                   $28    No Andy Luck ( Brisset is freaking good, beat Chargers on road, very good team)

Raiders@Minn            $65    probably a far corner seat ( still, huge city and should be a win)

Bears@Skins              $38    the Deadskins have been selling less and less to the locals as the years pass by.  their 6 year wait list somehow became non existent in the last 2 years 

Agree on the skins, unbelievable what has happened there. 

Long story, few years ago my company wanted to spend huge money on a Monday night Skins-Cowboys game to entertain clients, i said no C level folks are going out there on a Monday night unless you helicopter them in and out..they would not listen to me, we spent like $35K to entertain 4 people.

Wonder if they regret lifting the blackout rule or if the revenues from higher TV ratings is more than the lost ticket revenue

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The concept that the NFL and football popularity will increase forever maybe be coming to an end.

I made a comment along these lines yesterday.  Everything moves in cycles and the phenomenal success enjoyed by the NFL won't stay that way forever.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

TV networks cover the real costs.  Gate receipts are like pin money for the owners.  If those are secondary market prices, it doesn't matter.  The team already got face value.

MLB has gotten to the point where it doesn't matter if anyone shows up to the games--but that's because each team has their own networks (for the most part).

Yeah. I actually think the biggest problem with the shift to fans not attending games is purely visual. Empty seats can make a game feel alot less interesting to watch on TV/streaming/whatever.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure it has little impact on the bottom line.

• Like (+1) 1

All the rule changes trying to turn the NFL into a risk free sport, let alone the horrendous officiating.

It wasn't broke yet the NFL PTB feel the need to 'fix' it a little every year.  

Replay reviews have taken over the game.

Bowing to the 'woke' crowd despite most of them not being NFL fans in the first place.

Similar circumstances have killed NASCAR, look at the attendance there.

I hope that isn't the future of the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I made a comment along these lines yesterday.  Everything moves in cycles and the phenomenal success enjoyed by the NFL won't stay that way forever.

It wont.

But I dont think these trends are alarming.  It is not a gate-driven league.  Its all about media distribution and fantasy/gambling, and the NFL is an absolute monster and growing.  If they can get traction internationally, that would be another new level.

With that said, some day it will go the way of boxing, horseracing (and before long baseball).  I feel like the NBA will emerge within 20 years as the new monster.  Low concussion risk, lots playing, international footprint, lots of star power, can be exciting, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

All the rule changes trying to turn the NFL into a risk free sport, let alone the horrendous officiating.

It wasn't broke yet the NFL PTB feel the need to 'fix' it a little every year.  

Replay reviews have taken over the game.

Bowing to the 'woke' crowd despite most of them not being NFL fans in the first place.

Similar circumstances have killed NASCAR, look at the attendance there.

I hope that isn't the future of the NFL.

I thought it was because all the dishes blew off the tops of hillbillies' trailer homes.

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have been noticing tons of empty seats in most of the games on TV lately, and when I went in to place my picks this week,  here are the walk in prices to some  games  i was presented  with, all non standing room

Tenn @ jacksonville  $25 

But thee kicker is the Arizona Home game vs the Panthers

Not a seat in the upper bowl ABOVE $16!!!!!!

I know they always talk about Buffalo not being an NFL size city with enough corps to buy Clubs and Luxury Boxes, but at some point doesn't a full house paying face make up for those revenues? And look way better on TV..thus driving ratings?

BTW, last week the Bills had at least 6K seats still available it looked like on Ticketmaster, only some stragglers left now.

Prices dropped since the large percentage which needs to go to ticket agencies and sellers know they are going to have to eat it.

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It wont.

But I dont think these trends are alarming.  It is not a gate-driven league.  Its all about media distribution and fantasy/gambling, and the NFL is an absolute monster and growing.  If they can get traction internationally, that would be another new level.

With that said, some day it will go the way of boxing, horseracing (and before long baseball).  I feel like the NBA will emerge within 20 years as the new monster.  Low concussion risk, lots playing, international footprint, lots of star power, can be exciting, etc.

It's not a gate revenue driven league, but NFL success is ultimately driven by demand, like all service based industries.

If demand shrinks low enough over time, other revenue streams (not talking about ticket sales) will be affected as well.  There is a reason, for example, the TV networks pay so much $ to televise the games...b/c they know the end consumer will watch in great numbers and they can make that $ back in advertising.  If the viewership drops, the ads will too, and away goes the TV network revenue stream.

Now--if we are talking about gambling revenue with no concern for a loss in "sporting entertainment" revenue, that's a different story, but that would surely impact revenues negatively.

I.E., these teams are not going to want to turn into something only gamblers enjoy; they are going to want to remain a sports entertainment business PLUS the gambling aspect.

Around the time of WWII no one in this country knew what NFL football was or cared about it.

It was all Baseball, baseball, and more baseball.

Things change.

4 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Checked out the Bills @ Steelers game in Ticketmaster a few days ago and there were tons of seats available, scattered evenly around the stadium.  Not sure if that was before or after Big Ben went down.  

Lowest price for Bills @ Steelers currently is $66 in top level corner.  Not too much movement but most of the seats for sale are on Steelers side, lower level implying the fans not expect to be in contention in December.  There are also a lot of "Verified Ticket from Steelers". I am guessing season ticket sales were not that good this year for them.