What we didn't see in the Bills 2-0 start

Inigo Montoya

When the national sports media talks about the Bills starting 2-0, they all point out that the two wins were against the Jets and the Giants and that neither team is any good.  To be fair, it's a valid point.  The Jets and Giants do look woeful right now.  That's what they see.  I see something different in these two victories.

As a long suffering Bill's fan who has watched this team wandering in the desert for 20 years, what the national sports media has clearly missed is that in years past I have no doubt that the Bills would have come out of these first two games with a record of 1-1.  I have no doubt that the "old Bills" would have found a way to lose one of these two road games. We all know what we saw during these last two games, but what is even more important that what we saw in those two victories, is what we didn't see in those victories.   

We didn't see stupid penalties twenty yards away from the ball negate big plays over and over again.

We didn't see a QB and offense that turned the ball over 4 times, gave up a Pick-6 and a safety, and not score a single point in the first half,  just implode and collapse.

We didn't see that fourth quarter comeback drive fall just a little bit short...

We didn't see questionable coaching decisions and horrible clock management cost the team late in the game.

We didn't see some late game special teams collapse, a late TD / punt return, or missed field goal cost us a game.

We didn't see Bills players yelling at each other and standing around looking dejected on the sidelines when things went against them.

We didn't see a QB who looked over his head and playing simply not to lose the game.

We didn't see a blown coverage on defense or a missed tackle give up a last minute touchdown snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sure it was just the Jets and the Giants, but the thing that impressed me most is not what the Jets and Giants brought to MetLife these last two weeks, but what the Bills didn't bring.  They didn't bring all the dysfunction that has sabotaged winnable games over and over again for the last 20 years.  If the Bills can just continue to get the hell out of their own way, they have enough talent on this roster to be playing football well into January this season.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think the biggest point here is that, we won games that we're supposed to win.  Yes, these are the 2 bottom of the barrel teams, so we won them like we're supposed to.  As you mentioned, we would've normally imploded.  But we're closing out games, which is something we haven't seen in a long time.

• Like (+1) 2

What the National media says and thinks is not important.  Winning games is.    I have never heard New England apologize for their schedule.   

IF the Bills can beat the Bengals on Sunday we will be 3-0 and their opponents could potentially be a combined 0-9.   

We play the schedule we are given.  Tough games are coming.  What the media says does not change the standings.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think a big factor is that virtually everyone who wandered through that desert are now gone. While I was concerned about dumping Shady, in the end it means the offensive huddle is completely new. Josh Allen doesn’t know anything about collapsing. He doesn’t know he’s not supposed to win these games and I think the fact that Coach McD got to the playoffs in Year One suggests that he doesn’t Harbor those losing memories either. The fans do...but the new Bills don’t.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

When the national sports media talks about the Bills starting 2-0, they all point out that the two wins were against the Jets and the Giants and that neither team is any good. 

What I find interesting is that those same pundits do not qualify their statements about Lamar Jackson and the Ravens who have played, statistically, the two worst defenses in the NFL. - or really making those same qualifying statements about many other QBs/teams.

The Bills just need to continue winning and those things will probably change.

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I think the biggest point here is that, we won games that we're supposed to win.  Yes, these are the 2 bottom of the barrel teams, so we won them like we're supposed to.  As you mentioned, we would've normally imploded.  But we're closing out games, which is something we haven't seen in a long time.

Actually the Jets were favored by slightly more than half the experts week 1. They suck know because we came back on them.

The biggest thing I see is confidence. This is a confident team, even when playing from behind, which they've done twice now. This week I'd like to see them take a lead and drive it to the end.

• Like (+1) 5

Thing is that same media stayed on the Jets nut sack the whole offseason about how improved they were going to be. The Bills beat them with their starting QB and all their players that this same media hyped up so much. Now they say they suck, yes maybe now they will have some problems with their QB down.

But that was not the case before, they only lost Mosley late in the game. The Jets are a solid team IMO when Darnold is healthy, however I like most people I question the Gase hire. Either way the Jets were no push over when the Bills played them.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

What the National media says and thinks is not important.  Winning games is.    I have never heard New England apologize for their schedule.   

IF the Bills can beat the Bengals on a Sunday we will be 3-0 and are opponents could potentially be a combined 0-9.   

We play the schedule we are given.  Tough games are coming.  What the media says does not change the standings.  

Right.Its early but the PATS " havent played anyone yet" Pitt only scored 3 pts and they played the dolphins, and this week they are going to play the JETS JV squad

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Actually the Jets were favored by slightly more than half the experts week 1. They suck now because we came back on them.

The biggest thing I see is confidence. This is a confident team, even when playing from behind, which they've done twice now. This week I'd like to see them take a lead and drive it to the end.

Right. Actually, after two weeks, the Jets defense has a DVOA ranking of 6th (6th passing, 11th rushing). Not exactly in the "completely suck" category.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

The Jets suck now, because they're starting some random third-string QB who they signed off the street.  They didn't suck when we played them.  Not that they're a SB team with Darnold or anything, but that was a quality win in my book.

By way of contrast, New England has beaten a Pittsburgh team that looks devoid of offense, and a Miami team that shows promise of being the worst NFL team since the merger.  

• Like (+1) 2

I’d like to add for the past two decades it seemed like opposing teams would at least once per game have some guy wide open for huge pass play on busted coverage or scheme gap. 

my my brother and I always wondered why that never happens for the Bills.  

Happened 3 times already this season at least and josh found them. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

these are the 2 bottom of the barrel teams

Certainly true now, but also: 

NYJ were a different team when we played them.  The Bills coupled with Darnold's mono may have made them into a bottom of the barrel team.

NYG had the #1 offense in the preseason and put up 450+ yards at Dallas.  The Bills held them to under 400 yards in their home opener and now Eli is benched.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Certainly true now, but also: 

NYJ were a different team when we played them.  The Bills coupled with Darnold's mono may have made them into a bottom of the barrel team.

NYG had the #1 offense in the preseason and put up 450+ yards at Dallas.  The Bills held them to under 400 yards in their home opener and now Eli is benched.

NJJ

NJG

-Fixed-

?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

I'd like to see some accuracy from Allen. 65% accuracy just doesn't cut it in this league. 

?

Iits impossibile for him to have 65% accuracy.  I read it in an anytics site. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/i-do-not-see-a-nfl-starting-qb-in-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-says-espns-aaron-schatz.html

Aaron Schatz is getting exposed as a total fraud.. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Iits impossibile for him to have 65% accuracy.  I read it in an anytics site. 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/05/i-do-not-see-a-nfl-starting-qb-in-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-says-espns-aaron-schatz.html

Aaron Schatz is getting exposed as a total fraud.. 

Bill Polian said Lamar Jackson should switch to WR.    He is HOF as a personnel man.    

Just saying  there might be some gray area between having a bad take and being "a total fraud".

I haven't let the detractors of Allen affect my opinion.........I see talent and progress that I like a lot but still obvious concerns with things like ball placement/accuracy(for instance you really can't miss John Brown by f'n 25 feet on that deep post with no pressure in the pocket).........but then again I don't have to write about and evaluate every NFL player for a living so I don't need to take a short cut when forming an opinion on him.

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

IF the Bills can beat the Bengals on a Sunday we will be 3-0 and are opponents could potentially be a combined 0-9.   

I never hear New England apologize about anything. They were throwing long drives and bombs at the Dolphins long after the game was out of reach.