all fanhood aside: what is needed to anoint Josh Allen as "the one"

rayray808

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Lots of bad QBs have playoff wins though. 

and there a few examples of 'average' QB's winning the SB; Dilfer, Johnson, Rypien...

wasn't Roethlisberger's first SB year mediocre from the stat perspective?  the "Bus Superbowl" was the worst stats for a winning QB in history?

i'm going to say wins and contribution and the rest will fall in line; do your job as the coaches dictate, sprinkle in talent and ability and help your team win from your position.

10 hours ago, rayray808 said:

We all come with a bias on these message boards of being Bills fans... some loved him when drafted, some hated, and most had their doubts... but out of curiosity - what would need to happen for you to finally sit back and be like "alright, Josh Allen is the franchise"

My answer: eliminate head scratching turn overs, and at a minimum split the season series with the Pats but be relevant in both games

He IS the one.  He is still growing, and no one can see exactly what the finished product will look like, but he IS the one. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

For me, he would have to enter a simulation world, run by our robot overlords, which is actually one collective AI consciousness.  And while in that simulation world, he would have to be able to break all laws of physics and go beyond the framework of said world, while leading the human race out of bondage and negotiating a peace treaty with the AI consciousness.

Why’s this matter - as long as he’s the best QBon the roster and they are winning no need to overthink this. 

I’m starting to understand why people joke about those SAPs that insist on having the ‘what are we’ relationship talk...

have fun, let it run its course. Don’t worry about how to define things until from a contract standpoint it’s needed. 

Dominate the teams he should dominate; win the games he should win.

Elevate the offense in games where things aren't going as planned.

Be the deciding factor in some franchise defining wins in close games against equal or superior opponents.

Be the deciding factor in some wins that maybe the team as a whole didn't deserve and wouldn't have won if not for his play.

Don't cost the team wins in game they should otherwise win.

I don't care what it looks like or how he does it, but this is my definition of "franchise QB"; anything less than this is middle of the pack replaceable or worse.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

This is a big litmus test for me. Having a strong game against the best team in the NFL could bring more confidence to Josh and the rest of the team. I know they should feel like they can beat anybody, but...it is NE.

AND......It's at home!!!

Personally, I think he already is.

But...in the media and around the nation's eye...a good season of throwing the ball which would be in 4000+ yard neighborhood with 30+ total TDs, 60+ comp %, reasonable or less amount of turnovers...

...and most importantly...playoffs with at least a playoff win.  

Again, my eye test tells me he already is.  But non-bills fan will want to see the above first.  

You guys are trying to set a standard that no QB except for Eli Manning has met. No one consistently beats NE year in and year out. Look at what Belichick's defense did to Mahomes in the AFC Championship game last year. Goff looked like he forgot how to play football when faced with Belichick's D. Payton Manning took how many attempts to beat NE in the playoffs? Payton (most likely a first ballot HOFer) was 6-11 in head to head matchups with NE when Brady plays. By your standards, every other QB in the league except for Brady sucks. Well, except for Jake Plumber, who for some strange reason was 3-0 in head to head matchups with Brady.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/am59wu/oc_tom_bradys_career_record_by_opposing_starting/

Edited by FrenchConnection

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Personally, I think he already is.

But...in the media and around the nation's eye...a good season of throwing the ball which would be in 4000+ yard neighborhood with 30+ total TDs, 60+ comp %, reasonable or less amount of turnovers...

...and most importantly...playoffs with at least a playoff win.  

Again, my eye test tells me he already is.  But non-bills fan will want to see the above first.  

Only if the rest of the world was as good a fan as you.  

4 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

Or Jim Kelly 

Or Dan Marino

Or Warren Moon

Or Donnovan McNabb

Terrible QBs

Unlike All Pros Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer

?

The question was what would make you consider Allen 'The chosen one'.  I want this team to win a super bowl, not just win a fantasy league by starting Allen, and qb is often the most critical position at achieving this. 

Make the playoffs and win playoff games on a regular basis, isn’t that what Franchise QBs do ? That to me is what it takes. The team is trending in the right direction. Now it’s all about win #3, after that it’s all about win #4, etc etc.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply