all fanhood aside: what is needed to anoint Josh Allen as "the one"

rayray808

Beat the Pats.

10-6. 

Show toughness and grit, maybe with a hard-fought come-from-behind victory that seemed impossible (may already have that one with the Jets game)

Win a playoff game.

21 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I was cursing at the TV when we took him. Now, I am officially on the "he's the one" train. I bought way too much into the, boom or bust, narrative that was out there when we drafted him. Looking back, I think his floor was much higher than advertised during the draft process. He has all the tools to be a great one and just enough of a chip on his shoulder to be perfect for Buffalo.

Me too, man. I wanted Rosen. I couldn't believe they blew the draft pick.

Two years later, I've never been happier to be proven wrong! I love the kid.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DRA3196 said:

He has too have a strong game against the Patriots. Would be great if his performance led to a win. He has to just continue to develop and show that he can make the right game time decisions.

The kid is growing right before our eyes and is doing everything right. He just can't get complacent or relax in his preparation. 

Just stay grounded and hungry Josh. Keep focused and never be satisfied with your current success.

This is a big litmus test for me. Having a strong game against the best team in the NFL could bring more confidence to Josh and the rest of the team. I know they should feel like they can beat anybody, but...it is NE.

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Two playoff wins is the threshold 

I don't think that's reasonable.  What if he plays well enough to win the division,  but doesn't due to tiebreakers,  fluke plays,  ect,?  The bills could win 10 or even 11 games and still miss the playoffs due to other factors.  Look at how many times this has happened in the NFC. If i remember correctly (i didn't bother to Google it)  a team won their division with a 7-9 record while a 10-6 team went home. 

Good to great consistent play sustained over 5 or more years would be enough for me. 

A Superbowl win would make it immediate. 

Edited by loyal2dagame

I think he already is, at least from the organizations point of view. He's doing and saying all the right things, and being a leader on the field. I am pretty much sold on him as being "The One" for Buffalo; but If he can stand toe to toe vs the Cheatriots and Marcia Brady, even if it turns out as a loss in the last seconds of the game, i'll be totally sold on him.

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Beat a Brady-led Pat's*** twice a season (at least)

How many Qbs have, or could, beat a Brady led Pats team twice in a season? They are a team that has been led by a HOF coach and HOF QB and have rarely lost to any QB/team twice in a season. I hate them; however, there is a reason they have been as successful as they have been.

Not exactly the litmus test for whether or not Allen is our franchise QB. If he continues playing the way he has since the final Miami game last year, he will be our franchise QB.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

Lead a winning record team that has a capable offense

Beat the Patriots (at least split with them consistently)

Make the playoffs

Win a playoff game on offense (not a 6-3 defensive battle)

Until all that happens, it's just cheering how he looks in shorts and the cool stuff he says in press conferences.

7 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Pretty simple, he's gotta win a Superbowl.  Otherwise you're just another Andy Dalton.

Or Jim Kelly 

Or Dan Marino

Or Warren Moon

Or Donnovan McNabb

Terrible QBs

Unlike All Pros Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer

?

Edited by MrSarcasm
  • Haha (+1) 1

Over his last 3 NFL games, Allen has completed 64.5% (60-93) of his passes, for 731 yds (244 yds per game), and totalled 9 TDs (5 passing and 4 rushing). If he can continue that kind of production on a consistent basis over a career, this team will be successful for a long time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Over his last 3 NFL games, Allen has completed 64.5% (60-93) of his passes, for 731 yds (244 yds per game), and totalled 9 TDs (5 passing and 4 rushing). If he can continue that kind of production on a consistent basis over a career, this team will be successful for a long time.

As soon as Allen defeats the Patriots, this stuff will take of itself.