all fanhood aside: what is needed to anoint Josh Allen as "the one"

rayray808

2 hours ago, rayray808 said:

We all come with a bias on these message boards of being Bills fans... some loved him when drafted, some hated, and most had their doubts... but out of curiosity - what would need to happen for you to finally sit back and be like "alright, Josh Allen is the franchise"

My answer: eliminate head scratching turn overs, and at a minimum split the season series with the Pats but be relevant in both games

I don’t know, maybe do the bare minimum of what is considered success in the NFL and make the playoffs? Even ((gasp)) win a playoff game!?

That’d deserve beautification around here at this point. I think he can do it btw, and possibly this season. Until then I’ll enjoy all the Allen slob threads. 

-Play well against good defenses especially on the road (NE, Browns, Titans, Cowboys).  

-Consistently show better touch on short to intermediate throws and take what the defense gives you.

-Continue to improve on making pre snap adjustments,  quickly progressing through reads, and throwing the ball away instead of playing hero ball.

6 hours ago, rayray808 said:

We all come with a bias on these message boards of being Bills fans... some loved him when drafted, some hated, and most had their doubts... but out of curiosity - what would need to happen for you to finally sit back and be like "alright, Josh Allen is the franchise"

My answer: eliminate head scratching turn overs, and at a minimum split the season series with the Pats but be relevant in both games

Boy, rayray, I love him and I have been supporting him from the get go.

However, since you asked...if looking at it from a national perspective our guy needs to string together a couple of 300 yard games with 2-3 td passes per.

Koolaid drinking or sans Koolaid, IMO he's pretty much there already.  But let's be real.  That's more about how terrible all the QB's have been in the 3 DECADES since JK retired.  Only one even close was Bledsoe but that was doomed with because Tom Donahoe (sp?) was completely inept at his job and wasted a few years on us building crappy teams.

If he just cleans up his mistakes a little bit, I'll take what we have today in JA no problem.  If he becomes this perfect passer like Brady, then great!  If he's just a little more accurate than today and just keeps the turnovers to a minimum I'm ok with that too given everything else he brings to the table.  His uncanny ability to throw so accurately on the run as just one example.  After the last 20+ years of searching for the next franchise QB,  we should be really happy we have Josh Allen right now.  Remember, we're Bills fans so let's not get too picky.

7 hours ago, rayray808 said:

That's a great start but I would add getting consistently good performances through a couple of seasons, win in the playoffs, and be among the league leaders is several passing categories on a regular basis.

He has already shown to me some things that a franchise Qb needs.

Leadership- teammates gravitate to him, they believe in him 

Great abilities- obviously he’s gifted physically, but his play makes others better. IMO Foster and Zay Jones both played better than what they are last season. Even with the o-line we had last year!!! He’s not Brady or Rodgers but he shouldn’t be expected to be yet.

Intangibles-Poise. Cool under pressure. For as young as he is he has produced late in games when we need it. 

He he needs more consistency in playing situational football. When to throw it away, when to take a shot, etc... Certainly limiting the dumb decisions but that will take time. Probably 2-3 more seasons to fully get rid of. As good as he is I’m willing to wait and enjoy watching.I guess to be honest I think he is our franchise Qb!

There is nothing bigger that Josh could do this season that would mark his ascension into the upper echelon of NFL QB hierarchy than leading the Bills to 2 wins over the Patriots.  Anyone with even a  casual interest in the NFL will notice.  This may or may not include  a victory in the playoffs over them.  Mixing legendary metaphors, this is pulling the sword from the stone and slaying the Grendel with it.  Lots of lesser achievements would do it too but not as many would recognize them.

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

Generally speaking, beat the Pats week 4. He does that and the media immediately makes him a top AFC QB over night. They're itching to do so already.

And honestly I'm pretty much right there too. If he beats the Pats, or hell even the Browns or Ravens, just some team that's not terrible, and I'll anoint him. I'm ready, I might even do it after this week. I've been consuming the koolaid for months, Allen is special.

Oh you said all fanhood aside. Impossible. 

Let's beat the Bengals first. One game at a time. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was cursing at the TV when we took him. Now, I am officially on the "he's the one" train. I bought way too much into the, boom or bust, narrative that was out there when we drafted him. Looking back, I think his floor was much higher than advertised during the draft process. He has all the tools to be a great one and just enough of a chip on his shoulder to be perfect for Buffalo.

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Can’t pick two out three. Parsley or bust 

You are absolutely right Virgil.  I know if Allen threw for 4k yards and beat the Pat's, but got hurt at the start of the playoff game everyone on this board would still be reluctant to anoint him...

?