Hot Sauces

Jauronimo

Hot Sauce  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes you?

• My fridge is mostly condiments of a spicy nature.
    • My food frequently burns going in and coming out.
    • I don't use hot sauces because, WELL, I actually like to taste my food and I'm not just putting on this pretentious affectation to cover for the fact that I'm a wuss.
    • I love hot sauce! Have you ever tried Tabasco!
    • There's stuff in my regular rotation which cannot be measure in mere Scovilles.
    • I think salt and black pepper is spicy
    • We stick with Red Hot and occasionally break out the Sriracha on birthdays, anniversaries, or maybe if the missus has had too much wine on Bridge night.

7 hours ago, billsherd said:

There is spicy chip challenge that I was suppose to attend but can't as I am leaving for buffalo on Friday. Has anyone heard about the chip challenge?

paqui one chip challenge? I haven’t had the one but I’ve had their other chips. The haunted ghost pepper had pretty good heat and flavor. Was surprised how hot they were. 

7/11 has some pretty hot peanuts. I think they’re ghost pepper too. Want to say there was some sort of challenge for them too.

i used to make a ghost pepper hot sauce at our old pizzeria. Was vinegar, water, garlic, black pepper, dried ground up ghost pepper flakes, cayenne, fresh ground ghost pepper. Little bit of cinnamon. Let it sit for a day  or two shaking it every couple hours then run it through a filter. Mmm

52 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

paqui one chip challenge? I haven’t had the one but I’ve had their other chips. The haunted ghost pepper had pretty good heat and flavor. Was surprised how hot they were. 

7/11 has some pretty hot peanuts. I think they’re ghost pepper too. Want to say there was some sort of challenge for them too.

i used to make a ghost pepper hot sauce at our old pizzeria. Was vinegar, water, garlic, black pepper, dried ground up ghost pepper flakes, cayenne, fresh ground ghost pepper. Little bit of cinnamon. Let it sit for a day  or two shaking it every couple hours then run it through a filter. Mmm

Yeah that's the one chip challenge. About 4-5 people are doing it. There are some YouTube videos about it. 

23 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Growing up in my house, horseradish was not a garnish.  It was a test of machismo.

??

My mom, a nice Polish girl, used to take us to the Broadway Market as kids. What a place, the smells were amazing. When we needed horseradish she’d put some cream in a mason jar and take it with her. They’d going the riot while you waited. Some of it felt like the top of your head would blow off, soooo good.

7 hours ago, mrags said:

I’ve got some favorites. El Yucateco is probably my favorite overall if we’re taking about for Mexican food. 

Just plain Franks for wings but I like Durkee more. Just can’t find it anywhere. 

Durkee owned Franks some years ago. It was often referred to as Durkee's Frank's Hot Sauce.  

"In 1977, Frank's RedHot was sold to Durkee Famous Foods.[1] Since the purchase of the Durkee brand in 1995, it was owned by Reckitt Benckiser until 2017. Frank's is produced in Springfield, Missouri"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_RedHot

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red)https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N501BK/

I have a Le Creuset dutch oven that i bought at their factory outlet store for $200 that I love, but also have one of these for $60! This is what I fry in, and braise in, and do a lot else in. I just would not buy a fryer I guess unless using it 2-3x a week, which sounds like you may 

My parents gave me this exact pot last year, I use it all the time for frying. Works really well.

7 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I once had some sort of hot wings at a Buffalo Wild Wings that made me puke for like 20 minutes.

I pity whoever had to clean that mess up there.

And we have my first TBD laugh of the day. Well played. 

@mrags

25 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Durkee owned Franks some years ago. It was often referred to as Durkee's Frank's Hot Sauce.  

"In 1977, Frank's RedHot was sold to Durkee Famous Foods.[1] Since the purchase of the Durkee brand in 1995, it was owned by Reckitt Benckiser until 2017. Frank's is produced in Springfield, Missouri"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_RedHot

I had thought they were at one point. 

But Durkee had a different taste. And was thicker than Franks as we know it today. 

29 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I once had some sort of hot wings at a Buffalo Wild Wings that made me puke for like 20 minutes.

I pity whoever had to clean that mess up there.

Well done. I can assure you it wasn’t me who cleaned it up. 

Edited by mrags

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red)https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N501BK/

I have a Le Creuset dutch oven that i bought at their factory outlet store for $200 that I love, but also have one of these for $60! This is what I fry in, and braise in, and do a lot else in. I just would not buy a fryer I guess unless using it 2-3x a week, which sounds like you may 

^^^

this. electric oil fryers suck. not enough btu. use something like this on your stovetop.

19 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Anyone have a recommendation for a quality electric oil fryer around $200 -$300 ?

I'm tired of paying for 20 crappy small wings at $20+ more often than not.

Would like to be able to do 20 wings at once and not use it for much else.

I go out to eat 3-4 times a week with my wife and it's almost always pizza, roast beef, fish fry, chicken souvlaki or chicken wings, with IPA's for me, often a salad and wine for her.

But being in our 60's, we're not gaining weight. ? ?

The chicken wings with IPA's and wine I can replace at home I like to think.

The rest is too much work or substandard compared to going out.

mrmet.thumb.jpg.0dc8598ce96e4ec4ba8ab6b6389b1e07.jpg?

.....this mascot just suddenly appeared and I can't get rid of him.

He's like that clown in the Stephen King clown movie about a clown that won't go away

You can buy a decent deep fryer for $50.

Old stand by:  Dave's Total Insanity Sauce

New Fave:  Moore's Habanero Sauce

Local (to Buffalo) Fave:  Krista's Hot Sauce

When we're back in town, we always stop at the Tops in EA on our way out and load up on Krista's and Dave's  - Can't find either here in PA.

And i do love Tabasco - has a great, tangy flavor.

Hottest I've ever tried:  The Vontae Davis Sauce at O'Neills at Abbot & Soutwestern - That messed up my plumbing for a couple days.