Hot Sauces

Jauronimo

Hot Sauce  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes you?

• My fridge is mostly condiments of a spicy nature.
    • My food frequently burns going in and coming out.
    • I don't use hot sauces because, WELL, I actually like to taste my food and I'm not just putting on this pretentious affectation to cover for the fact that I'm a wuss.
    • I love hot sauce! Have you ever tried Tabasco!
    • There's stuff in my regular rotation which cannot be measure in mere Scovilles.
    • I think salt and black pepper is spicy
    • We stick with Red Hot and occasionally break out the Sriracha on birthdays, anniversaries, or maybe if the missus has had too much wine on Bridge night.

I've got Frank's, Tabasco, Cholula, a locally made hot sauce, Texas Pete's, Sriracha and Valentina hot sauce in my cupboard.

Different hot sauces have their place.  And it also depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

The hot sauce that I make has a little sweetness, a little smoke and a nice amount of heat.  But it's not unbearable heat that ruins food. 

EDIT:  Pic is of what went into the hot sauce I made last weekend.

IMG_2814.jpg

EDIT 2:  This is the finished product.  Tabasco bottle is in there for size reference.

sauce1.JPG

Edited by Gugny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Have you ever gone out for wings with someone who ordered suicidal, ate two and then proceeded to pawn the remainder off on the remaining table guests?

My wing consumption that night equaled Terrelle Pryor's Wonderlic score.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Loooove spicy foods and am always willing to try a new hot sauce. Hoping to to see a few new recommendations to try in this thread.

81UjlNqvvcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here's an off-the-beaten path recommended sauce you won't likely find at your local store (but it's on amazon) from Portland, OR.  It is white wine vinegar based, which gives it a distinctive and rather addictive flavor.  Not bad at all on wings!  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Have you ever gone out for wings with someone who ordered suicidal, ate two and then proceeded to pawn the remainder off on the remaining table guests?

Baby...

And shhhh... The lady behind the counter @ "Fry the Coop" had me genuinely scared of the hot chicken sandwich.  LoL... And you weren't helping! ?

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

I recall an instance where a certain person not only tried to pass those wings off on adults but even his own flesh and blood (a minor).  Parenting remains a mystery these days with this type of behavior and others who leave sick children at home to go out partying. I hate when people do that as well.

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I recall an instance where a certain person not only tried to pass those wings off on adults but even his own flesh and blood (a minor).  Parenting remains a mystery these days with this type of behavior and others who leave sick children at home to go out partying. I hate when people do that as well.

I know a couple who are partying whilst we speak. Meanwhile their son is home sick with an intestinal virus. They’ll be home Sunday evening.

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I know a couple who are partying whilst we speak. Meanwhile their son is home sick with an intestinal virus. They’ll be home Sunday evening.

Selfishness is all a part of the “Me generation”. Poor little guy. I hope those parents catch the same nasty virus and think twice about ever doing it again. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I enjoy spicy food and enjoy adding heat to my cooking, but I almost never dump "hot sauce" onto finished food.

That is for amateurs.  You can a lot better than that if you like spicy food.

It's kind of like dumping ketchup on food, another thing I almost never do.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I enjoy spicy food and enjoy adding heat to my cooking, but I almost never dump "hot sauce" onto finished food.

That is for amateurs.  You can a lot better than that if you like spicy food.

It's kind of like dumping ketchup on food, another thing I almost never do.

Thats a terrible analogy.  You have just described all sauces or condiments as amateurish.  

I don't "dump" hollandaise on my eggs.  I don't put mole on my chicken.  I don't dress my burger, sandwiches, tacos, salads.

https://www.feastingathome.com/fermented-hot-sauce-simple-and-delicious/

I need to buy a small container with an airlock and then I plan to play around with this technique using an assortment of chilies, veg, and fruits.  Anyone done similar?

i'm always trying to make my own.  I grow my own ultrahots and am always trying ways to make them both burning in hell hot, but still flavorful...btw, i'm the one vote for  There's stuff in my regular rotation which cannot be measure in mere Scovilles so far

2 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

i'm always trying to make my own.  I grow my own ultrahots and am always trying ways to make them both burning in hell hot, but still flavorful...btw, i'm the one vote for  There's stuff in my regular rotation which cannot be measure in mere Scovilles so far

What's your method for making hot sauces? Fermented or not? Recipes?

i've tried both, I need more 'practice' making fermented types because i like the tangy-ness of them.  Honestly don't have a recipe....i gather up the peppers and use a base of different kinds.  Mangos, raising, sweet potatoes, a combination of all, garlic onion.  i get an idea in my head and just build from there 

Just now, Jauronimo said:

What's your method for making hot sauces? Fermented or not? Recipes?

We had a hot sauce in college called Da Bomb IIRC.  It was the stupid hot variety best used for dares and gags.  

We were all hanging out one afternoon when my buddy came home w/ it and brought out a few tooth picks for us all to sample it. He told us not to touch it with our fingers or unscrew the cap without a tissue or some barrier between our skin.  It gave me hiccups for 1/2 hour. 

Anyhow, our buddy Mike didn't believe us and dipped his entire finger in the sauce and tested it.  It obviously made him miserable for the next hour or so.  But the best part was a day later as I walked into their apartment, he was in the kitchen with his di*k in a bowl of milk.  Evidently, when he went to the bathroom later that day and touched his junk, it burned pretty bad.  

Mike wasn't the best listener.     

• Sad 1