Ed Oliver on One Bills Live

Dat

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm just scouting Ed Oliver and not watching the game.

Anyone know how's he grading so far? I think Harrison Phillips is playing better football. It's not even really close. 

Maybe you should watch the highlight video right below your post.  Harrison is also playing at a very high level.

8 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Maybe you should watch the highlight video right below your post.  Harrison is also playing at a very high level.

It kind of fits what I'm seeing. Oliver tries to overpower his blocker all the time. Hump move is all power. If he has that move he should use it more than 1 time. I'm not just saying this to have a hot take. 

Don't get me wrong Oliver is doing dirty work out there. He's not a bust by any means. Actually Phillips and Oliver should be starting but Oliver continue to do dirty work. He's more of a block eater to me which is fine. Not why we drafted him top 10, but his limit pass rush moves won't allow him to get many sacks.

McDermott and Frazier will scheme him free at times which is how he'll get pressure.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It kind of fits what I'm seeing. Oliver tries to overpower his blocker all the time. Hump move is all power. If he has that move he should use it more than 1 time. I'm not just saying this to have a hot take. 

Don't get me wrong Oliver is doing dirty work out there. He's not a bust by any means. Actually Phillips and Oliver should be starting but Oliver continue to do dirty work. He's more of a block eater to me which is fine. Not why we drafted him top 10, but his limit pass rush moves won't allow him to get many sacks.

McDermott and Frazier will scheme him free at times which is how he'll get pressure.

Notice you bring up a stat.  Definitely sounds like you googled the box score.

10 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Shouldn't be too surprising. He played the 0 tech in Houston, correct?  You have to pretty darn strong to dominate a position usually played by athletes 20-30 pounds heavier.

• 40 time: 4.73 seconds (98th percentile)
  • Short shuttle: 4.22 seconds (96th)
  • 3-cone: 7.15 seconds (95th)
  • Vertical: 36 inches (98th)
  • Broad jump: 10 feet (98th)

Ed at the combine.  Ranking in the 95th percentile or above at your position in any one drill is impressive. Landing with that ranking at every movement drill is just insanity.  These are linebacker numbers.   Being slightly undersized for the position he plays, I just didn't expect the straight line power against pro's that are 50 lbs heavier.  Really a perfect fit for this defense and he's still relatively slow off the snap on a lot of plays as he adjusts to the game.   

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, ToddAllan said:

Drink the Kool-Aid, Happy.

You can DO IT! lol

I want to, believe me, I do.  But McD has to prove it this year.  We're off to a good start, but we need to continue by beating teams like the Bengals (who we should beat) and the Patriots (to be the man you have to beat the man.)

6 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I want to, believe me, I do.  But McD has to prove it this year.  We're off to a good start, but we need to continue by beating teams like the Bengals (who we should beat) and the Patriots (to be the man you have to beat the man.)

So if they don't beat the patriots, you're just going to cross your arms and pout?

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So if they don't beat the patriots, you're just going to cross your arms and pout?

When did I say, or even insinuate this?  

The whole point is that I'm not going to blindly believe in platitudes.  For the 10th time, McD has to PROVE it.

If they lose to the Patriots, I can live with that.  It is HOW they play, not just the result.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sacks aren't part of the conversation. He can't get off blocks consistently.

I havent seen that.  Youre the one that brought it up in your response.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

He made a comment appreciating Kyle's input and his 15 years of service and then said something like (Jim I am a Systems Engineer not a stenographer) "I know I can do better, I am a better athlete than him."  He is definitely stronger and quicker but not a better athlete than Kyle.

Quick and strong are the athletic part.