Duke Williams impressing again...activate him!

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

If a team wants to sign him they make a contract offer to his agent. The agent informs the player and usually the team he is on the PS of. That team can then make any contract offer they want to him, to match, for more or for less. The player and agent then decide which one they will sign.

The PS team he’s on obviously knows he must be on 53 and they must release another player to sign him so that is always a big factor. 

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

They went out and got two veterans to improve the WR position on the team, which tells you what they thought of the position last year. Again, this is Jone's third year in the NFL and his second with Allen. If he is going to be a wide receiver of the future for this team, then his future needs to start now. 

I like Zay and hope he turns into what we want him to be. However, to say Brown and Beasley are the now and Zay is the future - as if he is some rookie that shouldn't be held to the standard of a what you might expect from a starting NFL wide receiver in his 3rd year is nonsensical.

We signed Them 4 or 5 year contracts.

Beasley got a 4 year deal.  Brown only got 3.  Both got big money in the first 2 years.

Zay will have this season to prove he can do what he did the last half of last season.  On top of that he is the #3 WR , do you expect 100 receptions and 1000 yards.

And BTW unless Ive missed something, the only drops Ive see by either Jones or Foster were both poorly thrown balls.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

It's psychological and hopefully it passes.  He got passed it last year he will get passed it again.  For some reason the kid seems to have confidence issues.

Um, we are two games in.  I would say thats closer to two than 3.  I remember having arguments with idiots on this board over Robert Woods.  I think we know who was right now.  You people act like he has a 10mil a year contract or something.  Probably would have cut Drew Brees.  After all it took him 4 or 5 years to get it together.

You tell that to the coaching staff and front office who went out and got two veterans for these young guys to learn from.

Well for one I hope he does get passed it, however I disagree that he got passed it last year. He had a lot of drops last year. That isn't exactly "getting over it" yet. So we will see.

12 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

We signed Them 4 or 5 year contracts.

Beasley got a 4 year deal.  Brown only got 3.  Both got big money in the first 2 years.

Zay will have this season to prove he can do what he did the last half of last season.  On top of that he is the #3 WR , do you expect 100 receptions and 1000 yards.

No, I expect a proportionate success rate that we see from Brown and Beasley. He may get less targets; however, his production should be consistently relative. 

3 hours ago, MR8 said:

If you cut Connor McDermott you only have 3 OTs, Dawkins, Ford, and Ty.... most people want to move Ty over to OG, so you want to only have 2 OTs on the roster?

Lee Smith is the best blocker we have and he has been healthy, something neither Kroft nor Knox have been this off-season, cutting him opens you up to being short handed if Kroft can't stay healthy WHEN he actually is able to play.

Johnson is playing a key role in special teams, and rotation at Safety. 

I agree, Duke keeps impressing... but who do you cut to get him on the active roster? If Singletary isn't 100% they're going to need to consider adding a RB as it is, and they're already dangerously thin at CB.

My thought is the Bills are looking to get the O-Line sorted out and either cut or trade the odd man out to a team needy of O-Line help. Once they do that they will open up a spot they can use for RB, CB, or WR. My thought is their first call for the 53 for each:

RB: Marcus Murphy (FA still) or Byron Marshall (PS)
CB: Cam Lewis (PS)
WR: Duke Williams (PS)

They have other more pressing needs right now than WR, and while I think Duke should be on the 53 ... who do you cut?

Right now, IMHO the lowest of the low on the totem pole for the 53 are: Kurt Coleman (S) & Ike Boettger (OG)... While he's buried on the depth chart I think Coleman is a team favorite because of his familiarity with the system, and Boettger is a rotational depth guy on the line's interior, but maybe is becoming expendable with Morse, Spain, Feliciano being the starters and Long and Bates playing as well as they have in reserve roles. Plus Ford looking better at OG changes that interior as well, but it makes us VERY thin at OT where we only have 4 including Ford. If Ford is permanently moved to OG, they can trade Long and/or cut Boettger because it would move Feliciano to a reserve role. But we end up with just 3 OTs in Dawkins, Ty, and Connor McDermott. That's far less than Ideal.

It's a VERY difficult numbers game right now, so just adding Duke means losing something else. They are a bit banged up on the back end so you don't want them to cut a Safety unless they're adding a CB to fill in for Johnson. You just don't want to thin the herd right now with NE on the horizon.

I would keep an eye on Andre Robert's health and the kick return game. If they guys handling it now keep doing the good job they're doing, I could see them move Roberts to IR and release him with an injury settlement which could open the door for Duke Williams to come on to the 53 man roster. But that's really the only avenue at this juncture I see which would get Duke Promoted... until the O-Line is more settled and we have a clearer picture of who we want to keep and who can go.

Sure Cut McDermott go with 3 OTs. McDermott takes dukes spot in PS. 

Another option cut one of the Interior Line as well. 

Otherwise Duke stays on PS 

heck at at this point JUST IR Glass (I mean Kroft) 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure Cut McDermott go with 3 OTs. McDermott takes dukes spot in PS. 

Another option cut one of the Interior Line as well. 

Otherwise Duke stays on PS 

heck at at this point JUST IR Glass (I mean Kroft) 

Good Point. That's probably where he will end up anyways pretty soon.

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s at it again, get this guy on the active roster already!  I see plenty of separation as he just beat Tre on this play and he may have the best hands over anyone on the roster right now.

An OBJ catch for sure!  Get that man a watch. ?

22 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

From strictly a talent standpoint, my Bills WR group looks like this:

Brown

Beasley

Roberts

McKenzie

Foster

Duke

I know Zay has been working hard on ST, though...

imo, i think roberts should be the return man and mckenzie should be the healthy scratch. we need to launch an offensive and put our foot(s) on their throats for 4 qtrs, or it could be a trap game. they won't take zay out so...anyway, i think we need to get foster a couple of bombs while they're doubling brown and use duke in the redzone. we need to be fresh in our attacks and hopefully remain opponent specific.

Edited by billsredneck1

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you just like tall men.

"The most beautiful girl or woman in the world would be a matter of indifference to me, but tall soldiers?  They are my weakness."

-Frederick I of Prussia

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If a team wants to sign him they make a contract offer to his agent. The agent informs the player and usually the team he is on the PS of. That team can then make any contract offer they want to him, to match, for more or for less. The player and agent then decide which one they will sign.

The PS team he’s on obviously knows he must be on 53 and they must release another player to sign him so that is always a big factor. 

I remember when Buddy Nix tricked the Cowboys into releasing Scott Chandler by trying to poach Martin Rucker off of their practice squad.

Buddy was a witch here on TSW!

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I remember when Buddy Nix tricked the Cowboys into releasing Scott Chandler by trying to poach Martin Rucker off of their practice squad.

Buddy was a witch here on TSW!

I never fell for that story. ;) What if they didn't do what he imagined they would do. He probably just needed a TE badly, didn't we always, and thought either one of them would be better than we had.

40 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I never fell for that story. ;) What if they didn't do what he imagined they would do. He probably just needed a TE badly, didn't we always, and thought either one of them would be better than we had.

As with most GM/HC combos we've had there was a vocal faction quick to adopt unlikely stories like that as fact.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lmao.  Show me anything in 2019 that proves any criticism I said about Zay wrong.  Anything, and I will never mention him again.

Hint:  You can’t.

Don't know if you will count this as anything at all, but as Dopey mentioned somewhere else, I caught a nice pass that switched the field from our 35 to the Jets 47. It gave us a 1st down and this was on our game winning drive. Without that catch we may not score that game winning td. I was very instrumental to that game winning drive, along with my run blocking that 1st game. We're 2 games into the season and I have film as a good run blocker and the catch I referenced and you have practice squad film against a db wearing a red "do not touch" jersey. What I have done so far this season is instrumental to my team being 2-0. Is it sexy or flashy? No, but neither are my Bills, we're 2-0 and I definitely contributed to this start. And you want to change that?! What's next? You gonna show film of me missing a block? Again, seems kinda personal.

Sincerely,

Zay " I made the team" Jones

P.S. I hope you see this as something. This way you will never mention me ever again. Ever. Here's to hoping.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Don't know if you will count this as anything at all, but as Dopey mentioned somewhere else, I caught a nice pass that switched the field from our 35 to the Jets 47. It gave us a 1st down and this was on our game winning drive. Without that catch we may not score that game winning td. I was very instrumental to that game winning drive, along with my run blocking that 1st game. We're 2 games into the season and I have film as a good run blocker and the catch I referenced and you have practice squad film against a db wearing a red "do not touch" jersey. What I have done so far this season is instrumental to my team being 2-0. Is it sexy or flashy? No, but neither are my Bills, we're 2-0 and I definitely contributed to this start. And you want to change that?! What's next? You gonna show film of me missing a block? Again, seems kinda personal.

Sincerely,

Zay " I made the team" Jones

P.S. I hope you see this as something. This way you will never mention me ever again. Ever. Here's to hoping.

Sorry Zay, good coaches, winning coaches, make adjustments all season long.

• Awesome! (+1) 1