Duke Williams impressing again...activate him!

Alphadawg7

I think if Zay disappoints again this week, you have to look into giving either McKenzie or Williams more reps. Williams would be interesting to throw something completely new at New England.

For this week though, I think they give Zay another shot. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

I guess you missed Duke was going against 3rd stringers when he made most if not all his catches in preseason.

2nd AND 3rd stringers.

He was also a monster run blocker with his 1st string reps.

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Duke Williams hopefully develops, but he isn't as good as Zay Jones right now or Robert Foster.  And Zay and Robert aren't deserving to get targets over Smoke or Beasley right now either.

Let's go for 50 more pages of this nonsense seemed to be entertaining just a few months ago.  Still waiting for you to live up to your claim that you're rooting for Zay....just be patient and let things get going, we're only 2 games in for crying out loud

Zay is in year 3 and he still sucks.

He was a 2nd round WR with 1st round talk.

Patience for a player like that is 1 year, not 2+ years.

He sucks. If he turns it around suddenly, awesome. But I have no more patience for him and I really think Duke is putting some pressure on him to perform. Like I said before, you can see it in the way he "congratulates" Duke after that catch.

Zay is on borrowed time, I hope he uses it wisely.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

He’s just shilling at this point because he wants to be proven right. It’s fine, just be honest about it. Pimping a catch from a guy on the scout team is pretty desperate though.

It's not one catch.

By my count I think we have access to at least 5 catches via preseason games AND in practice via twitter that are more impressive as catches than anything we've seen from Zay in 2+ years in the NFL.

And it doesn't matter the competition... Duke made those spectacular catches that Zay NEVER EVER does.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Some thoughts:

I like Duke, but why do so many feel the need to shake things up?  We are 2-0 and the passing game has been pretty darn good.  Each of the WRs on the 53 provide us with a different skill set.  Zay and Duke are such different animals, you can't just swap one for the other.  Zay is a good route runner and blocker, and I get the sense that he's developing into a leader of sorts in the locker room by the way McDermott regards him.  I could see Duke for Foster maybe, but Foster flashed big-time upside last year and he's a legit deep ball threat that Duke isn't.  I also think Duke's size isn't needed so much with a guy like Allen at QB.  I thinks it's better to have a bunch of those smaller fast dudes out there spreading the D out, so we can take advantage of Josh's redzone running ability.  He's not some statue that you need to bail out with fade routes.

Regarding Foster, most of his demotion is just a result of the fact that we signed two talented, veteran guys at WR in the off-season.  Brown and Beasley are frankly better players than Foster at this point. Now, this is just speculation on my part, but I have to wonder if some of Foster's fall on the depth chart doesn't have to do with his level of professionalism and work ethic.  He basically admitted as much last year.  Now you've got two real pros in front of him, so the question becomes: do they become mentors of sorts or at least real examples for him as to how to approach the game, or does Foster remain oblivious, get discouraged or resentful and let his career slip through his fingers?  The guy we saw last year is super talented and proved that he can play in this league.  I'd hate to see him just disappear. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's not one catch.

By my count I think we have access to at least 5 catches via preseason games AND in practice via twitter that are more impressive as catches than anything we've seen from Zay in 2+ years in the NFL.

And it doesn't matter the competition... Duke made those spectacular catches that Zay NEVER EVER does.

Right on. One catch? Where do people come up with this stuff? And yeah I know it's only the CFL and every Bills fan and their mother thinks they could compete there, but dude led that entire league in receiving last year and was once a top prospect for the NFL. This isn't some out of shape bum making circus catches like like he's got some singular hidden talent, this is a legitimate wide receiver regularly making insane catches against legitimate NFL competition. The mental gymnastics some of you are going through to deny Duke's talent, sheesh.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I actually see no good reason that Zay Jones is starting over Robert Foster.....none...I have this sneaking suspician that Roberts will actually see field time and not just as the main returner on ST

I think Duke is gonna get his chance...something will give.

Did you see that gif of Foster's whiffed block recently? Not good. He either has no idea what he's doing out there sometimes or he completely gave up.

Zay on the other hand is probably our best blocking wide receiver. There's a reason. It's really just a matter of some catching on that Foster is an UDFA that might not be that good.

Edited by Nelius

30 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He does???? :blink:

What in that video tells you conditioning is a question?

First, I said it was a wild guess, so no need to be so puzzled.  

It looked to me like he jogged back winded and he couldn't jump as high as the team mate he celebrated with.  Just an unfounded observation.

Like most fans, just guessing on why he's not playing.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I actually see no good reason that Zay Jones is starting over Robert Foster.....none...I have this sneaking suspician that Roberts will actually see field time and not just as the main returner on ST

I think Duke is gonna get his chance...something will give.

Blocking. Zay has been outstanding as a run blocker and you do need that in Daboll's scheme. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'll stand behind my opinion that Zay is much better than you give him credit for and is deserving to be ont he active roster over Duke.  Bills coaches agree and you want to throw shade go for it.

What is funny is that you continue this 'drama' about Zay like we all forget what your agenda is....look, you "called it wrong" son in February and you're calling it wrong again right now.   Move on from it... you said you hoped Zay would do well, yet 2 weeks in you're looking for him to get cut...again this is the same double talk you did back in february

Lmao, except everything I criticized him for was spot on and he’s proved you wrong on the field.  

Sorry, try again.

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I thought you were reasonable based on earlier posts but this is just rah-rah bs. Come on man. 

YOU have your favorites and obviously your favorite whipping boys and I thank christ every day you’re not in charge. For ***** sake man. 

Film doesn’t lie. 

38 minutes ago, White Linen said:

First, I said it was a wild guess, so no need to be so puzzled.  

No, look at what you said. You said he looked absolutely pooped. You didn't say it was a wild guess he was absolutely pooped.

Backtracking is fine in this case, though.

38 minutes ago, White Linen said:

It looked to me like he jogged back winded and he couldn't jump as high as the team mate he celebrated with.  Just an unfounded observation.

Like most fans, just guessing on why he's not playing.

There ya go. At least you quickly realized the stupidity of your previous statement. We've all done it  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

He’s just shilling at this point because he wants to be proven right. It’s fine, just be honest about it. Pimping a catch from a guy on the scout team is pretty desperate though.

Lmao.  Show me anything in 2019 that proves any criticism I said about Zay wrong.  Anything, and I will never mention him again.

Hint:  You can’t.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What are you talking about?  Duke did this today, its a topic today...and LOTS of people want to see Duke get a shot here.  And sorry, when you drop a TD pass in a one score game, then you are going to get criticism as a player.  Especially when you have 32 total yards on the season and also another dropped TD in preseason.  

You mean when you cant catch a bad pass.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

2nd AND 3rd stringers.

He was also a monster run blocker with his 1st string reps.

Zay is in year 3 and he still sucks.

He was a 2nd round WR with 1st round talk.

Patience for a player like that is 1 year, not 2+ years.

He sucks. If he turns it around suddenly, awesome. But I have no more patience for him and I really think Duke is putting some pressure on him to perform. Like I said before, you can see it in the way he "congratulates" Duke after that catch.

Zay is on borrowed time, I hope he uses it wisely.

He cant throw himself the ball.  I remember all the experts on this board saying how much Robert Woods sucked.

Yes I know you are confused Alpha.  You were confused when you said he wouldnt be on the roster week one.

Brown and Beasley are the now.

Zay, Foster and Williams are the future.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Blocking. Zay has been outstanding as a run blocker and you do need that in Daboll's scheme. 

Yeah I agree with this, Zay definitely blocks better than Foster.  I’m starting to wonder if Foster is going to regain a size-able role here.  His disappearance after how ended last year has to be the most disappointing story line of the early season.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I thought you were reasonable based on earlier posts but this is just rah-rah bs. Come on man. 

YOU have your favorites and obviously your favorite whipping boys and I thank christ every day you’re not in charge. For ***** sake man. 

Alpha does have a tendency to have favourites and "root" for certain players. But it doesn't make him wrong on Zay. A lot of what he says is true. The simple facts are Zay does not catch enough of the balls thrown in his direction. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Alpha does have a tendency to have favourites and "root" for certain players. But it doesn't make him wrong on Zay. A lot of what he says is true. The simple facts are Zay does not catch enough of the balls thrown in his direction. 

I suppose even if the ball is thrown at his feet it is still in his direction.

Playing wide receiver is more than just making catches. To Zay's detractors, let me speculate for a minute...

Daboll's offense is vast and complicated. A WR has to retain a lot of information because you often run similar plays out of different formations or different personal groups, etc. And the sheer volume of plays is a lot to learn. And coming from the New England school, each week is game specific. You're not really running the exact same offense each week. It changes every game. Plus, especially as the third wide out, you aren't going to see a ton of balls come your way, so you better be a good blocker for the team to have value in putting you out there. And that means understanding all of the run plays as well. 

Last year, we had a bad, unathletic offensive line. Daboll had his hands tied behind his back, so he had to simplify everything. No screens, no pulling plays, etc., etc. So, Foster had fewer plays to learn and run. Maybe he and Williams are just taking longer to master the offense. If they were the better players (overall), I think they would be playing. This coaching staff doesn't play favorites, they put their best men out there. And they know these players and what the team needs out of them a lot better than we do just seeing a nice catch here and there.

I think it is a simple matter of Zay knowing the offense better and being the best blocker of the three (right now). We know that Zay had to help Benjamin when he was here, knowing where to lineup and it actually happened a couple of times in this preseason where Zay had to direct Foster as to the proper alignment on a play. Maybe Duke's transitioning from the CFL is taking some time. Maybe Foster didn't put the study and proper prep time in coming off of his rookie season (that happens to a lot of 2nd year players, not knowing how to be a true professional yet, and they have a sophomore slump). There is a reason that Zay is getting more snaps as of now.

Also in Zay's defense, I find it interesting that people roast him for not catching a very difficult pass (the possible TD), a "drop" that they would have forgiven of any other receiver on the roster, but they never mention when he makes a big third down conversion. And with Josh throwing so many balls to Brown and Beasley and really spreading the ball around, of course Zay doesn't have gaudy stats. So to bring up his yardage after two games seems a pretty bad argument as well. Especially with the offense still trying to find their identity. 

Having said all of that, I love Foster and Duke and I hope they keep developing (I wanted Duke to make the 53). And if they reach a point where they unseat Zay, I'll be all for it. I know Zay hasn't lived up to his 2nd round draft status, but this bashing of Zay seems over the top to me. The kid does nothing but work hard and is a team player.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1