Duke Williams impressing again...activate him!

Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'll stand behind my opinion that Zay is much better than you give him credit for and is deserving to be ont he active roster over Duke.  Bills coaches agree and you want to throw shade go for it.

What is funny is that you continue this 'drama' about Zay like we all forget what your agenda is....look, you "called it wrong" son in February and you're calling it wrong again right now.   Move on from it... you said you hoped Zay would do well, yet 2 weeks in you're looking for him to get cut...again this is the same double talk you did back in february

Hmm, the way I see it, this is Zay's 3rd year. And up to this point, he hasn't shown any progression at all. A lot of what kept Zay on the 53 is his willingness to play special teams. It sure wasn't because of his stellar performances in preseason. A guy getting this much time to develop and not have much to show for it does not have long to fix his issues, and yes, he does have issues. If Williams keeps this up in practice, he will end up replacing someone. If he produces more than Zay when brought up, I guarantee Zay's time will be cut in half.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I thought you were reasonable based on earlier posts but this is just rah-rah bs. Come on man. 

YOU have your favorites and obviously your favorite whipping boys and I thank christ every day you’re not in charge. For ***** sake man. 

absolutely, it is laughable how this guy trolls Zay at every turn.

That "calling it now" February thread is priceless, Lololol

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

Hmm, the way I see it, this is Zay's 3rd year. And up to this point, he hasn't shown any progression at all. A lot of what kept Zay on the 53 is his willingness to play special teams. It sure wasn't because of his stellar performances in preseason. A guy getting this much time to develop and not have much to show for it does not have long to fix his issues, and yes, he does have issues. If Williams keeps this up in practice, he will end up replacing someone. If he produces more than Zay when brought up, I guarantee Zay's time will be cut in half.

I might have missed it, but has Zay played a significant role on specials ever in his career?  Robert Foster might be who you're thinking of

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I might have missed it, but has Zay played a significant role on specials ever in his career?  Robert Foster might be who you're thinking of

Actually, I'm thinking of the same guy that's been in the league more than long enough to fix his issues. If Zay was all that, then there was no point of signing Brown and/or Beasley. Why would Zay get more playing time in the 3rd preseason game when he was the only "starter" on the field against Detroit? If your counter is that Williams only played against 3rd stringers, then guess what? Zay did too. Now for speed, yeah Williams isn't a burner. Take a look at our WR corp and you'll notice that Williams is probably taller than all of them. I won't argue if the consensus with the coaching staff is about shorter and faster WRs. But the fact is, Williams is better at catching the ball. Definitely better at contested catches

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

He’s just shilling at this point because he wants to be proven right. It’s fine, just be honest about it. Pimping a catch from a guy on the scout team is pretty desperate though.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Actually, I'm thinking of the same guy that's been in the league more than long enough to fix his issues. If Zay was all that, then there was no point of signing Brown and/or Beasley. Why would Zay get more playing time in the 3rd preseason game when he was the only "starter" on the field against Detroit? If your counter is that Williams only played against 3rd stringers, then guess what? Zay did too. Now for speed, yeah Williams isn't a burner. Take a look at our WR corp and you'll notice that Williams is probably taller than all of them. I won't argue if the consensus with the coaching staff is about shorter and faster WRs. But the fact is, Williams is better at catching the ball. Definitely better at contested catches

I dont think anyone. certainly not me, is saying Zay is "all that".  He hasn't performed up to his 2nd round draft status. and I feel that is what most are frustrated about.  

My point isn't who played against 3rd stringers, it's that Duke hasn't shown anything against nfl starters.  Again, Zay isn't blowing anybody's doors off. but he has nfl starter production (see last season).  This coaching staff isn't promoting some unknown and cutting a 2nd rounder in his 3rd year unless they are absolutely certain.  

And you can't use the 'long enough' argument against Zay and hold Duke to a different standard.  Duke came out of Auburn in 2015 and is still developing, as is Zay (drafted in 2017).  

If someone tries signing him, perhaps the staff moves on from Connor McDermott.  We shall see, in the meantime, Zay isn't going anywhere

3 hours ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

And nobody would miss Foster. How can you miss someone who has been nonexistent for the season so far?

Right there with you, man. Been saying this since preseason. Seems more people are starting to notice if this thread is any indication. It's fun to hate on Zay apparently but Robert Foster can't even block. Give me Duke over Foster.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I - and I think many others - LOVED what Foster brought to the table last season.  Since OTAs, up until last week, he's shown nothing.  Not sure if he got lazy, or if he's hurt - but something is definitely up.  He looked like he had the makings of a legitimate #1 WR last season.  I'm totally confused.

He also looked like a UDFA that was cut and no one claimed last year. 

Hes just erratic. Talented but doesn’t put it together all the time.

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I dont think anyone. certainly not me, is saying Zay is "all that".  He hasn't performed up to his 2nd round draft status. and I feel that is what most are frustrated about.  

My point isn't who played against 3rd stringers, it's that Duke hasn't shown anything against nfl starters.  Again, Zay isn't blowing anybody's doors off. but he has nfl starter production (see last season).  This coaching staff isn't promoting some unknown and cutting a 2nd rounder in his 3rd year unless they are absolutely certain.  

And you can't use the 'long enough' argument against Zay and hold Duke to a different standard.  Duke came out of Auburn in 2015 and is still developing, as is Zay (drafted in 2017).  

If someone tries signing him, perhaps the staff moves on from Connor McDermott.  We shall see, in the meantime, Zay isn't going anywhere

Williams can only do what he can, be it against 2nd or 3rd stringers, he still produced. The criticism laid on Jones is laid on a 3rd year player, as you said, he hasn't performed up to his draft status, even more frustrating that we traded a pick to get him. Williams hasn't had any time against NFL starters, so everyone (including myself) should reserve judgment until that happens.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good post, this is all fair and reasonable IMO.  The only thing I dont agree on is #3...Foster has 100% more production, but he also has 100% more opportunity.  So not really fair to compare "production" when Duke is exactly where Foster basically was early last year...on the PS, hungry for a cache to prove himself in a live NFL game.  

To be clear, I am still bullish on Foster...his lack of involvement has been puzzling, but I feel like they will try and get him more involved.  

Agreed, and it's not like Foster is some proven vet, I don't know if I'm buying the long-leash theory. It's far more likely that Foster is like countless other UFDA's that flashed and then fizzled rather than Doug Baldwin. I'm also not following why so many are okay with waiting 11 weeks for Foster to be a poor man's John Brown when 6'2" Duke Williams is high pointing circus catches every time he gets an opportunity? Madness

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2

The Duke may surface in the New England game as a no frills red zone weapon. If the Bills dare to make the move, the Dukes combination of size, hands and toughness may help throw the Pats off balance and give the Bills a better chance of winning.

Edited by Rocket94

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

The fact that Foster has no receptions concerns me.  If he puts up another goose egg this week, I will have a difficult time understanding why he's still on the active roster.

Every receiver on the team has a specific role, Foster included.

Brown and Beasley are obviously the top 2. We'll throw to the other receivers now and again to keep defenses honest, but Brown and Beasley are the high volume catchers.

McKenzie is Beasley's back up, and comes in for gadget plays. Defenses have to pay attention when he's on the field.

Foster is Brown's back up, and comes in to take the top off the defense on specific play calls. I bet he will get a couple shot calls in the next 2 weeks. Defenses have to open up the entire field when he's in the lineup.

Roberts is the premier kick returner.

Zay is the blocking WR. He is more valuable in the run game than the pass game but he has his role. This is why Duke will not be taking his spot this year. We already know Zay is a solid blocker against NFL talent. I'm not sure Duke is at that level yet.

Duke would have no defined role on the team right now. A year on the practice squad will do him good.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

Probably because I may have pegged you wrongly as a “Foster over Zay” type. I just don’t understand that. 

I do do think Duke would be good on the team, I just think Foster is the one to go. 

I'm a Foster over Zay type.

I actually think this Sunday Foster is going to have at least a couple big catches. Watching those plays Joe B highlighted where Foster was clearly the target and got open but the ball just never got to him tells me Daboll has plans for him.

Zay has been a waste of space.

I know Gunner points to his run blocking, but ya know who proved to be a pretty damn good run blocker in preseason?

Da Duke

thus...

I am also a Duke over Zay type of guy.

But seems this coaching staff is trying to allow time for the light to go on for Zay. So be it. Duke's still on our team. I suspect if another team poaches him we call him up.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Slow your roll.  As others have posted, Tre' was in a non-contact jersey, so the Duke was running patterns against air.  While I love the idea of activating the Duke, I don't like the idea of running Foster through waivers.  Hopefully Zay and McBeane will break up, then we can get A#1 where we want him:  on the roster and on the field.

Tom-Cruise-What.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

See that red jersey? Means Tre isn't fully healthy

He has a neck injury..  im sure he isn't going ?

still a great catch

Hmmm. Tre has not been himself through two games. Sunday was one of the poorest games I have seen him play in the NFL. I wonder how serious that injury is? Definitely concerning. 

On Williams - his path to the roster is definitely blocked by Zay Jones in the sense that his role would likely not be as a big volume catch guy but as a receiver who can run block and be deployed in the redzone. It should be said Zay's run blocking through two games has been absolutely excellent - he has really shown up in that regard but it has to be a second string to your bow I don't think you can be a receiver who makes a living as a blocker. I think the advantage Zay probably still has is he can be used right across the formation whereas I think Williams is probably an outside only guy. I'm not pounding the table for Williams in the same way as some others but if another team tried to claim him off the PS it would force the Bills to make a decision - how much do they really like him? At that point it does come down to Duke or Zay and I might be tempted to see what I have in Duke. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1