Duke Williams impressing again...activate him!

Alphadawg7

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't know man if he was making those catches all preseason I'm pretty sure he'd be in our starting lineup right? 

I guess you missed his preseason then, fair enough, but he was making these catches in games and practice, including two amazing TD catches.

And in preseason it came down to one spot...him and McKenzie were fighting for it, but we needed ST play from that spot too and McKenzie had a big advantage there.  Brown and Cole will never play a snap on ST.  Zay and Foster had never played ST and were learning.  Roberts was a ST ace, but was locked in as a returner and also hurt.  The final WR spot HAD to be able to contribute on ST, and I am willing to bet money that was a big decider between Duke and McKenzie.  Not to mention, McKenzie also had a good preseason in his limited touches too, so not like he was also deserving.

But now...we aren't getting much WR use out of either Zay or Foster...and neither of them do much on ST either.  So, I think Duke may have a shot at the active 53 here sooner than people think at the expense of maybe one of those 2 players.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I - and I think many others - LOVED what Foster brought to the table last season.  Since OTAs, up until last week, he's shown nothing.  Not sure if he got lazy, or if he's hurt - but something is definitely up.  He looked like he had the makings of a legitimate #1 WR last season.  I'm totally confused.

The beginning of last season he looked like a one trick pony.....who wasn’t very good at his one trick. By the end of the season he looked like a real NFL WR with catches on a variety of routes. 

This year? Not sure what to think? How much has he been in? Has Brown taken his role? I can’t explain it to you. Curious indeed. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I have 3 comments:

1- WR play has been pretty good for what we’ve been asking them to do. We’ll need a couple more games before we’re ready to see what needs to be shaken up. I personally think a 16 game season should be treated like 4 quarters and you try to go 3-1 in each quarter (I heard this from Daniel Jeremiah the other day) - that being said, I don’t think you should rush to make a judgement on close things till the end of the quarter- this seems close so I’m happy waiting.

2- that being said, I would be fine if DW does crack the 53 at some point this season. I like the versatility he brings. But not having room for playmakers is a beautiful beautiful thing these days. 

3- Those saying Foster hasn’t done anything need to have a longer memory. Foster earned a long leash in his play last year and I expect him to show up big in the next couple weeks. He has 100% more production at the pro level than Duke Williams. 

Ps- these buffalo news guys (and gals) better shut their mouth about how impressive our practice squad guys are. We don’t need them poached! ?

Good post, this is all fair and reasonable IMO.  The only thing I dont agree on is #3...Foster has 100% more production, but he also has 100% more opportunity.  So not really fair to compare "production" when Duke is exactly where Foster basically was early last year...on the PS, hungry for a cache to prove himself in a live NFL game.  

To be clear, I am still bullish on Foster...his lack of involvement has been puzzling, but I feel like they will try and get him more involved.  

1 minute ago, Augie said:

The beginning of last season he looked like a one trick pony.....who wasn’t very good at his one trick. By the end of the season he looked like a real NFL WR with catches on a variety of routes. 

This year? Not sure what to think? How much has he been in? Has Brown taken his role? I can’t explain it to you. Curious indeed. 

Allen has been spreading the ball around A LOT through two games.  The fact that Foster has no receptions concerns me.  If he puts up another goose egg this week, I will have a difficult time understanding why he's still on the active roster.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Allen has been spreading the ball around A LOT through two games.  The fact that Foster has no receptions concerns me.  If he puts up another goose egg this week, I will have a difficult time understanding why he's still on the active roster.

I’m curious about how many plays he’s actually been on the field when we are passing. Too lazy to try to look it up , of course, but curious about how often he’s an option. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good post, this is all fair and reasonable IMO.  The only thing I dont agree on is #3...Foster has 100% more production, but he also has 100% more opportunity.  So not really fair to compare "production" when Duke is exactly where Foster basically was early last year...on the PS, hungry for a cache to prove himself in a live NFL game.  

To be clear, I am still bullish on Foster...his lack of involvement has been puzzling, but I feel like they will try and get him more involved.  

I don’t disagree, but there isn’t a standard of equality in regards to opportunity in the NFL. Foster has earned the Longer leash, and it’s very possible DW could be amazing, but he isn’t gonna get the chance till Fosters leash runs out- which will before too long at this rate. The biggest issue is that none of our WR’s are going to clear waivers, so short of an injury you’re either sacrificing someone with proven production (all of our 6 have that) for someone with potential production. Not to say that it shouldn’t happen, but it’s no easy choice. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm just trying to understand this correctly. A guy on our practice squad made a decent catch and he should be elevated to starter because of it? I'm just trying to understand why.

He does this on a regular basis. This is not an isolated incident. He lead the CFL in receiving for a reason. He has great hands, he is big and runs solid routes.  He will get a shot somewhere soon. I think he brings more to the offense than Foster right now. Also a good red zone target. We have some weapons on O and some depth, which is really, really nice to see.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I - and I think many others - LOVED what Foster brought to the table last season.  Since OTAs, up until last week, he's shown nothing.  Not sure if he got lazy, or if he's hurt - but something is definitely up.  He looked like he had the makings of a legitimate #1 WR last season.  I'm totally confused.

He wouldn't be on the active roster if he wasn't one of the top six WR's.  Brown simply took his spot on the outside.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s at it again, get this guy on the active roster already!  I see plenty of separation as he just beat Tre on this play and he may have the best hands over anyone on the roster right now.

He looks absolutely pooped after that route and catch.  I wonder if it's a conditioning issue - where they're still working on getting him to NFL standards.  

Just a wild guess.

Edited by White Linen

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

He looks absolutely pooped after that route and catch.  I wonder if it's a conditioning issue - where they're still working on getting him to NFL standards.  

Just a wild guess.

I didn't get that impression...he jumped up was strutting, jumping up with his teammates, etc.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I still think Foster has great upside, just saying for whatever reason he's fallen down the depth chart and mostly out of the game plan this year.  So its only fair to include him in any conversation that would included activating Duke.  Neither him or Zay are making much of an impact, so wouldn't be fair to single only Zay out when discussing bringing in Duke.  

Foster seem to not have the wherewithal to run proper routes and all the tasks assigned him each play. he could be a low intellect guy, But never met him, so i do not know. takes all kinds of folks to make the world go round : )

Jones seem to have mental issues, which have affected his to push himself to be all he can be. if has not overcome them by now he is not worth the investment , nor roster spot.
Maybe his Mom dropped him. Or maybe it was the drugs.

But i am not throwing to him when it matters. even if wide open. that preseason alligator arm thang that got him injured should have been enough. kitty player
Foster should be on PS and working his tail off.

Now that Allen has real NFL WRs he dont look so hot anymore.

and next season Bills will again upgrade WR.

Duke works his tail off. he's got Buffalo Blood running in them veins

49 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Slow your roll.  As others have posted, Tre' was in a non-contact jersey, so the Duke was running patterns against air.  While I love the idea of activating the Duke, I don't like the idea of running Foster through waivers.  Hopefully Zay and McBeane will break up, then we can get A#1 where we want him:  on the roster and on the field.

The Man has great hands. will catch ball.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Just a wild guess.

even so , maybe they are beating that azz to get him ready.
its just a video. and that applies to every conclusion reached. including mine. I think he catches footballs real good.

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Duke makes the TD catch that Zay dropped against the Giants?

You probably are.

Donald Driver or someone like him makes that catch. None of these guys are Donald Driver. 

Brown, maybe makes that catch because of the route.. Cole doesn’t have the crosser speed to get open on that sort of route, but if he was there and in his reach, he catches it. 

And then from there it’s just Out of reach for the rest of these guys from what I’ve seen. 

Zay sold out but doesnt have the hands and it is on the fingertips of his outstretched diving arms if you look at all 22. 

Foster would have run the wrong route 

Duke would’ve been looking for the CFL end zone. Seriously he is the most legendary marginal wr in buffalo since DaRick Rodgers. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm with ya on that... But i think it's still early to move on from him. 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

LOL.  The stupidity of this comment is hilarious to me, then I read who wrote it and it made it even funnier...I get it, I mean you cant defend Zay anymore, so you gotta try and troll the guy who was brave enough to point his flaws out in February.  

I'll stand behind my opinion that Zay is much better than you give him credit for and is deserving to be ont he active roster over Duke.  Bills coaches agree and you want to throw shade go for it.

What is funny is that you continue this 'drama' about Zay like we all forget what your agenda is....look, you "called it wrong" son in February and you're calling it wrong again right now.   Move on from it... you said you hoped Zay would do well, yet 2 weeks in you're looking for him to get cut...again this is the same double talk you did back in february

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yea it was...even though people keep falsely claiming he can’t separate when he clearly can and just did against our best CB.  

I thought you were reasonable based on earlier posts but this is just rah-rah bs. Come on man. 

YOU have your favorites and obviously your favorite whipping boys and I thank christ every day you’re not in charge. For ***** sake man. 

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I guess you missed his preseason then, fair enough, but he was making these catches in games and practice, including two amazing TD catches.

And in preseason it came down to one spot...him and McKenzie were fighting for it, but we needed ST play from that spot too and McKenzie had a big advantage there.  Brown and Cole will never play a snap on ST.  Zay and Foster had never played ST and were learning.  Roberts was a ST ace, but was locked in as a returner and also hurt.  The final WR spot HAD to be able to contribute on ST, and I am willing to bet money that was a big decider between Duke and McKenzie.  Not to mention, McKenzie also had a good preseason in his limited touches too, so not like he was also deserving.

But now...we aren't getting much WR use out of either Zay or Foster...and neither of them do much on ST either.  So, I think Duke may have a shot at the active 53 here sooner than people think at the expense of maybe one of those 2 players.  

I guess you missed Duke was going against 3rd stringers when he made most if not all his catches in preseason.

Duke Williams hopefully develops, but he isn't as good as Zay Jones right now or Robert Foster.  And Zay and Robert aren't deserving to get targets over Smoke or Beasley right now either.

Let's go for 50 more pages of this nonsense seemed to be entertaining just a few months ago.  Still waiting for you to live up to your claim that you're rooting for Zay....just be patient and let things get going, we're only 2 games in for crying out loud

• Like (+1) 2