Bills least valuable NFL franchise per Forbes

TroutDog

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

It's disgusting that a teams value goes up due to a taxpayer funded stadium.

True dat but they don't really care in Texas as long as it's bigger than the rest.  Really.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Was not an over buy though.  All professional sports franchises sell for a lot more than what they are claimed to be "worth" by articles such as Forbes.  The reason is simple, they are a very very rare commodity as they almost never come available.  And when they do, there are many interested parties bidding.  

The Dodgers were in financial shambles before Magic and his investors paid a ton more than anyone expected.  The Clippers were considered the least valuable franchise in all of the major sports and still sold for $2B when they were reportedly worth well under a billion.  

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.  And if Bills were on the market today, I bet they would easily sell for north of $2B as well.  

Good stuff, man.  Appreciated. These teams are the rarest of commodities and those billionaires will give a lot to be part of such exclusive clubs.  I feel like I remember the other 2 bidders were not going to top $900 mil but I may be wrong.  I know that Bon Jovie's team was around there but it was early in the process. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Bills will always be the least valuable franchise. But the Pegulas did everyone a favor by raising the value of every NFL team with their bid.

Team values are mostly illusion anyway.

Yes and no.

There are many economical ways to value something like an NFL franchise.

Of course, like anything, the ultimate value comes down to what an individual is wiling to pay for it.

29 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Yup. In the recent Athletic article, he told the guy who managed the purchase to offer what would definitively be the highest bid. They did it intentionally and their investment is now up $.5b dollars. 

Not bad. 

For what it's worth, that's significantly behind the S&P.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Was not an over buy though.  All professional sports franchises sell for a lot more than what they are claimed to be "worth" by articles such as Forbes.  The reason is simple, they are a very very rare commodity as they almost never come available.  And when they do, there are many interested parties bidding.  

The Dodgers were in financial shambles before Magic and his investors paid a ton more than anyone expected.  The Clippers were considered the least valuable franchise in all of the major sports and still sold for $2B when they were reportedly worth well under a billion.  

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.  And if Bills were on the market today, I bet they would easily sell for north of $2B as well.  

oh i agree.  it's an emotional purchase, and for someone who can afford it, it's not an over buy at all.  you see it with housing too.  people fall in love with a home and are willing to far overbid for it.  i meant over buy in the sense that he paid more than the estimated value.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Will be interesting to see  valuations after the next round of TV contracts are finalized with various media.  Teams are receiving north of 250M per season as their share of the current contracts.

I dont think the expectation is for a big run up in tv prices.  The NFL demographic is aging rapidly. Ratings are fairly flat overall. Ratings are down in the younger demographics compared to 5 or 10 years ago. None of these supports a huge price increase in tv payments (maybe this is trumped by Amazon and Netflix trying to expand by having a bigger NFL slice) 

I suspect the speculative dream right now is international franchising.  Each of the 32 owners is excited get their share of the 2+ billion dollar franchise fee each for London, Berlin,  Madrid,  Rome, Tokyo and Beijing someday.   Followed by a surge in media values.   I am not sure it happens, but I think that is viewed as a big upside for the NFL, and one reason a couple teams have to schlep over to London and down to Mexico City every year. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

I am surprised that Jacksonville is not in the bottom 5. I thought they would give Buffalo a run for #32 but they came in at #23. 

Buffalo's operating income at $82 million is higher than 12 teams and is essentially the same as 2 others (who are at $83 million), so they are middle of the pack. Low operating costs I guess. They also tied for the 2nd highest percentage increase in franchise value (19%). 

29 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It will go up more with a new stadium - especially downtown.  

The stadium deals are why some teams like Dallas are so valuable- it is about more than the team.  

Yes., It's  because of the stadium.  This is why owners always want new stadiums.  It drives up the value of the franchise.

In Dallas, the Dallas Mavericks played in Reunion Arena which was built for them when the team moved there.  20 years later Ross Perot Jr. bought the team and did NOTHING to make the actual team better.  They stunk at the time.  Instead he put his time and resources into buying up land around where he got the city to build him a new stadium.  Land value and the franchise value went way up and then he sold out to The Cube.

Personally, I hope the Bills continue to play at the Ralph for the next 50 years.  Terry and Kim (and the dog)  will be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, teef said:

I’m pretty sure the 1.4 b he used to purchase the team was considered an over buy at the time.  That’s one fancy toy. 

Yes, i remember the franchise being valued at under $1B (I want to say something like $780m) shortly before Ralph's death. Pegs definitely overpaid, but his investment has still gained a half a billion dollars in value in what, 5 years? 6 years? 

Hell of an investment. 

• Like (+1) 1