New interview! Jim Kelly never met or contacted Pancho Billa

BrycePaup4ever

22 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I think you are missing the point I was trying to make.

As a person who put so much into being a fan that he made national news on several occasions, is laying there in a hospital bed trying to beat cancer, it would have been nice if Bills Hall of Fame legend who recently beat cancer went to visit him or at least made a phone call. To me there is no excuse for not at least calling the guy.

Yes there are many super fans. Few rise to the level of a Pancho Billa.

There is a reason why the Bills organization built the relationship they did with Ezra. One Jim Kelly , and many of you, seem to fail to recognize.

I'm not sure how Jim Kelly became obligated to contact Pancho Billa. Is it because they both had cancer and were linked to the Bills? Does it matter if they were friends or acquaintances? Did Jim even knew who this guy was before the cancer story broke? 

I'm also not sure how it's anyone else's business. I'm glad I don't have a bunch of sanctimonious busy bodies following me around determining what symbolic gestures I have a moral obligation to comply with.

I am sorry that you were deprived of the warm fuzzy feeling you would have experienced watching a clip of two strangers with cancer meeting for a PR photo op. Seeing it broadcast nationwide by a corporate entity exploiting the situation for ratings and goodwill would have been so touching.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This has been an uncomfortable thread to read for many reasons. I'm trying to make sense of it.

1. Raw meat to the professional outrage seekers. You know who you are. Be better than that.

2. Much respect to Ezra 'Pancho Billa' Castro. By all accounts he was a good man who was a fan of our beloved Buffalo Bills. His creativity on his fandom was entertaining and made him beloved as well. When we learned of his battle, it made him more endearing because Buffalo and it's fans love to support the underdog facing great odds. That people in the Buffalo organization supported him is commendable and worthy of our appreciation. May Ezra rest in peace.

3. Much respect to Jim Kelly, for giving it his all while quarterbacking our beloved team and for his own battle facing great odds. That people in the Buffalo organization supported him is commendable and worthy of our appreciation. May Jim continue to win his battle for as long as he can.

4. Both Castro and Kelly are human beings, and as such have their flaws, same as you and me. Some flaws become known through the media or speculated on through rumor and 2nd hand accounts, and are used to judge. Some judge more harshly than others and for reasons unknown. It's an unfortunate by-product of our flawed humanity. It would be better if we could be more forgiving, or not so quick to find a negative in what may be difficult circumstances for someone.

5. We are all Bills Brothers and Sisters. Cut some slack when you can.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

thread title seems to have set some folks off.  it certainly wasn't the biggest takeaway of that interview for me.  it was good to hear Pancho's voice again though.  and the Bills haven't lost a game since we lost him so who knows.  
also FWIW I distinctly remember a video shoutout to Pancho from JK on social media. 

2 hours ago, BrycePaup4ever said:

Fair point, but Jim had to know he was the face of the fan base. Jim is obligated to do what he wants.

Jim also has the cash to make that visit on behalf of others. 

Wow, I think your fandom has gone overboard here. A sad story but after all unfortunately a story lived out daily.  He was a Bills fan and touching story but way over blown at this point. Lost my dad at fifteen, mother from pancreatic cancer, my brother in law at forty seven years old. Life has it's tragic stories for most of us you just don't hear about it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

thread title seems to have set some folks off.  it certainly wasn't the biggest takeaway of that interview for me.  it was good to hear Pancho's voice again though.  and the Bills haven't lost a game since we lost him so who knows.  
also FWIW I distinctly remember a video shoutout to Pancho from JK on social media. 

so much for JK didn't care.

OP, you can delete this thread now.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mrags said:

This is where I’m at. 

Not to sound like a COMPLETE DICK, but I honestly don’t get all the crazy love. Yeah, Pancho is a great story and a great guy. But at the end of the day why should he get all this crazy Bills love, calls from Beane and McDermott and Bills players on a regular basis? Like I said, it’s a sad story and my heart goes out to Ezra’s family with his passing. But let’s be real here, there are probably hundreds of thousands of Bills fans that have cancer, more that have died of cancer, and even more that will die of cancer. Are we to believe they are any less important, or loved than Ezra was?

like i said, I didn’t want to be a Dick about it. And I already know the kind of responses I will receive from this. You don’t need to bother. I already know I’m an @$$hole and I’m going to hell. You don’t need to remind me. 

some stories just get legs, and some don't. This one did. I am with @eball, no skin off my back. I must say I am a creature of the moment, and was much more emotionally involved in a tribute of some kind in June than I am today, but still looking forward to it.

25 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

ok hot take here, GOD Bless Ezra.  But...here goes.  This was an over-hyped publicity stunt from the beginning that both the Bills and the NFL used to help the image for the league.  Sorry, but it is what it is.

not saying the Bills did not run with it, bur Kenny and Captain Buffalo and lots of people jumped on the train pushing the Bills to have him up on draft night in 18, once he had been diagnosed. That was not the Bills or the NFL, that was his close, close friends..and friendships that had developed over the last several years. Thats when his story really took off, much like the Purdue kid ..I mean they went and named a gate after him

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/09/07/tyler-trent-student-gate-dedication-purdue

Its 2019, things go viral and people get caught up in them..Dalton donations for example. No reason to get mad, it is what is, and is not what it is not..which is a manufactured PR stunt

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

I think you are missing the point I was trying to make.

As a person who put so much into being a fan that he made national news on several occasions, is laying there in a hospital bed trying to beat cancer, it would have been nice if Bills Hall of Fame legend who recently beat cancer went to visit him or at least made a phone call. To me there is no excuse for not at least calling the guy.

Yes there are many super fans. Few rise to the level of a Pancho Billa.

There is a reason why the Bills organization built the relationship they did with Ezra. One Jim Kelly , and many of you, seem to fail to recognize.

How are any pearls still attached to the necklace with all that clutching?

Kelly has zero obligation to anyone outside his family, let alone a complete stranger whose claim to fame is dressing up in a costume at Bills games.

Sounds harsh, but it's true.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Kelly has zero obligation to anyone outside his family, let alone a complete stranger whose claim to fame is dressing up in a costume at Bills games.

When we agree, Armageddon is upon us. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, John Adams said:

When we agree, Armageddon is upon us. 

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Stole my line. Damn it. Back to being negative again for me 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

This guy is hyped way too much IMO.  Sad that he passed, but all the Pancho stuff has been a bit over the top I think.

its about the get up, coupled with his unfortunate lot in life.. He had a signature look that stood out. He was a non Buffalonian that had lifetime allegiance to the Bills, and he fought a battle for his life in front of us all.

He endured himself to the hearts of Bills fans....   Not hard to understand... but being upset with Kelly for not reaching out is over the top IMO.   

I'm a fan of Pancho because he stood out in a positive way while battling a horrible fate. Heck he parlayed his unfortunate death into a pretty large donations to children. he will be missed

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1