Vonte Davis story on ESPN...Full scoop on his halftime retirement decision

StHustle

Quitting on your team at halftime can never be rationalized or accepted.  Screw him and the fact that he somehow believes he did the right thing.  All you had to do was remain on the sideline for the rest of the game and you could have retired with dignity.  Instead he will always be looked at as a selfish, whiny, quitter.  We should all inquire about signing up for his stupid spa and after they waste a bunch of time and energy on the applications, just quit and cut off communication before paying. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffaloflash said:

Oh sure I agree,I would have told the coach don't put me in, I not right.Then after the game do what I have to do.

What he did wasn't normal nor logical,and therefor I think something else was going on!

Exactly right. There is a professional way to handle things, and this would have been the correct way.

The way he handled it was very unprofessional and apparently he still doesn’t realize it. I don’t recall him ever apologizing to anyone for how he handled it, and I didn’t see any apologies in this article. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t blame or judge anyone for walking out the way he did. When it’s time to go, it’s tome to go. As long as that person understands that they made a promise to their team mates and they broke that promise. They violated a type of thought that they are all in it together and nobody gives up until the game is over. He was being counted on by others and gave up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

They still don't. People on this board might think otherwise, but Beane/McD have done nothing to change that image yet. 

I don't agree with that.

From a culture and organizational perspective, it sounds like free agent players are impressed with what they see when they visit.

They are still trying to change the W-L reputation, that's for sure. First year playoff appearance helped a bit, but it wasn't too impressive. I think this year will help a bunch and they'll look like a team who deserves to be in playoff contention year after year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you're done, you at least finish the game with the team.  If you can't play, fine.  But at least said goodbye to your teammates.  He couldn't stay for another 90-120 minutes?

For me, this is the start and finish of the whole Davis garbage. Football is, far and away from most other sports, a team sport. What he did was the complete opposite of 'team.'

He couldn't wait for the game to end?

No.

Because he's a selfish prick. It's just that simple and the only thing I can figure is someone at ESPN owed him a favor to promote his new wellness company.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Quitting on your team at halftime can never be rationalized or accepted.  Screw him and the fact that he somehow believes he did the right thing.  All you had to do was remain on the sideline for the rest of the game and you could have retired with dignity.  Instead he will always be looked at as a selfish, whiny, quitter.  We should all inquire about signing up for his stupid spa and after they waste a bunch of time and energy on the applications, just quit and cut off communication before paying. 

He did the right thing for himself, but certainly not the Bills players, organization, or fans. Definitely selfish. He sounds like a selfish guy.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

I don't agree with that.

From a culture and organizational perspective, it sounds like free agent players are impressed with what they see when they visit.

They are still trying to change the W-L reputation, that's for sure. First year playoff appearance helped a bit, but it wasn't too impressive. I think this year will help a bunch and they'll look like a team who deserves to be in playoff contention year after year.

Free agents always sound impressed with every team they visit. Let's see if they can beat decent teams before we say anything is different. The Jets and Giants look to be top 10 pick teams. 

I don't blame him for deciding that he was done. Learning about some of the painkillers he had started, and the realization that he just couldn't hack it is understandable as to his decision to retire without waiting until the end of the season.

He should have waited until the end of the game. At the very, very least, he should have told his coaches what he was thinking instead of just leaving, and finding out that he didn't even offer that courtesy really bothers me. I will forever consider that a classless move, but I could have forgiven it. But then, he went on and did a fantasy football ad that season, joking about it. That is unforgivable, especially with the article going on about how financially secure he is. He didn't need the money, he did it because it was easy and one last way to cash in on his reputation in the public eye.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Exactly right. There is a professional way to handle things, and this would have been the correct way.

The way he handled it was very unprofessional and apparently he still doesn’t realize it. I don’t recall him ever apologizing to anyone for how he handled it, and I didn’t see any apologies in this article. 

Speaks strongly to his lack of character. His explanation is basically "I wanted to leave, so I left." Shows zero accountability for his actions or respect for his teammates. He did what he felt like doing and feels that is a sufficient explanation for his pathetic behavior - shows no emotional maturity.

17 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

He was also toast. It was time for him to hang em up.  

He got burnt in preseason. Healthy scratch week 1. Pretty sure the article omits that he also got burnt once or twice in week 2 when he made it on the field.  Didn't he get replaced for Taron before he walked off the field?

Yes, he was toast.  You still don't quit that way, and he knows it.  That ESPN article was just a way for him to promote his new business.  Like I said, "full poop."

14 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

That and when they traded Dareus. That showed that they were not willing to tolerate a player who didn't have his head right and play up to their potential. Still makes me sad though, Dareus has the skills to be a HOF defensive tackle, but he's too much of a chucklehead with no inner hunger to be great.

The Dareus thing is actually pretty common and frustrating for coaches. Guys with tons of natural talent are more often than not harder to motivate than guys who have had to work their way up the food chain of competition that were blessed with great athletic genetics. There is a tipping point where if an athlete does not have the discipline and drive to compete they can no longer keep pace with those who do have that work ethic.

Dareus was as naturally gifted as they come, but that work ethic and drive to compete and love for the game... not sure that was there at an NFL level. It happens, and I have seen pretty gifted athletes walk away and it was the right move for them to recognize they are missing some key ingredients.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Yes, he was toast.  You still don't quit that way, and he knows it.  That ESPN article was just a way for him to promote his new business.  Like I said, "full poop."

I don't agree with the way he handled it at all.  It was gutless. Just saying even if he was playing for the Pats last year he was still toast.  But he might have found the "courage" to hang on until the end of the season in that hypothetical.

• Like (+1) 1