Vonte Davis story on ESPN...Full scoop on his halftime retirement decision

StHustle

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you're done, you at least finish the game with the team.  If you can't play, fine.  But at least said goodbye to your teammates.  He couldn't stay for another 90-120 minutes?

Agreed,But it sounded to me like he may have had a anxiety and panic attack and needed to distance himself immediately.Nothing else to me makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you're done, you at least finish the game with the team.  If you can't play, fine.  But at least said goodbye to your teammates.  He couldn't stay for another 90-120 minutes?

He wasn't bought in to the team and hadn't engrained himself into the culture. No close relationships with the rest of the guys. He signed a one-year deal with the Bills simply because they paid the most money and already had a good DB group.

He sounds like an over-emotional, heart on his sleeve, prideful guy who had a mini-breakdown in the game, so he ran.

It's kind of funny and certainly unprofessional from other points of view. It seems as if from his point of view, football was like a lowly 9-5 office job. It's normal for people to get tired of that BS and quit mid-shift.

To me, it's a funny story, but it's not that impactful. It would be much different if someone like Kyle Williams or Lorax did it, or even one of the highly touted young guys.

Best part is when he describes reading a business book that says CEOs avoid the spotlight in the ESPN article he volunteered for.

Also he apparently forgot all about that commercial he did for FanDuel or fantasy football something in which he made a joke about his quitting on the team.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 7

14 minutes ago, Buffaloflash said:

Agreed,But it sounded to me like he may have had a anxiety and panic attack and needed to distance himself immediately.Nothing else to me makes sense.

At some point you have to suck it up.  You had 45 other guys on the sideline/locker room that were counting on you.  

Take some time at for the rest of the 2nd quarter and half time then rejoin your teammates.  Then you can retire.  

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

What a crock of Vontae.  The Bills had just come off a playoff season under a new regime. 

I don't think that she's wrong. Sure we just made it to the playoffs but we were not that far removed from the craziness of Marrone walking out, the Ryan brothers, Doug Whaley and Russ Brandon. We might have turned a corner but from the outside looking in we were still the team that had a top 3(?) defense but fired Jim Schwartz and changed scheme and were terrible.

All that said Vontae is a B!+(#  We are so much better off without him

Well well... as a wise man once said, "You are either part of the solution, or you are part of the problem".

The way things are going history may very well pin-point the moment the Bills franchise started to turn the ship around and become more successful as the moment Vonte walked off the team. So whatever... not really interested in what he has to say; there is a right way and a wrong way to do things when you are on a team and we all know where Vonte lands on that score.

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He wasn't bought in to the team and hadn't engrained himself into the culture. No close relationships with the rest of the guys. He signed a one-year deal with the Bills simply because they paid the most money and already had a good DB group.

He sounds like an over-emotional, heart on his sleeve, prideful guy who had a mini-breakdown in the game, so he ran.

It's kind of funny and certainly unprofessional from other points of view. It seems as if from his point of view, football was like a lowly 9-5 office job. It's normal for people to get tired of that BS and quit mid-shift.

To me, it's a funny story, but it's not that impactful. It would be much different if someone like Kyle Williams or Lorax did it, or even one of the highly touted young guys.

He spent a few weeks with these guys at training camp.  They are together all day.

I didn't play at the pro level but at the college level.  You get to know these guys pretty quickly.  Within a few weeks with new guys coming in...you become friends quickly.

We had a guy that quit after a few games in.  He was in a bad spot financially so he needed to focus on that.  

He finished the game and then went into the coaches office after.  Explained his situation and that was it.  He said goodbye to everyone and then was the last time I saw him.

I just hate what Vontae did.

40 minutes ago, RU5781 said:

WTF is this???

But those closest to him had reservations.

"I absolutely wanted to stay away from Buffalo," Megan says. "The organization just didn't have a great reputation. When you're in the league, you hear things, and records show things."

No WTF soever.   That rep was well deserved.   

It will take consistent winning and word of mouth about what kind of organization McBeane have built to change that impression...

41 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Really nothing new here.  Just an avenue for him to have his own LAMP.  Screw him

smh

Talk about LAMPs...

23 minutes ago, eball said:

I can't believe I'm even posting in this thread.  I don't care one bit about Vontae Davis and regardless of what he says now, he quit on his teammates and coaches that day -- not because "he was tired" but because he saw the Bills were going to be a bad football team and didn't want to put in the effort for another full season.  If you believe anything else you're a fool.

This "full scoop" is full of "full poop."

He was also toast. It was time for him to hang em up.  

He got burnt in preseason. Healthy scratch week 1. Pretty sure the article omits that he also got burnt once or twice in week 2 when he made it on the field.  Didn't he get replaced for Taron before he walked off the field?

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

At some point you have to suck it up.  You had 45 other guys on the sideline/locker room that were counting on you.  

Take some time at for the rest of the 2nd quarter and half time then rejoin your teammates.  Then you can retire.  

Oh sure I agree,I would have told the coach don't put me in, I not right.Then after the game do what I have to do.

What he did wasn't normal nor logical,and therefor I think something else was going on!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Well well... as a wise man once said, "You are either part of the solution, or you are part of the problem".

The way things are going history may very well pin-point the moment the Bills franchise started to turn the ship around and become more successful as the moment Vonte walked off the team. So whatever... not really interested in what he has to say; there is a right way and a wrong way to do things when you are on a team and we all know where Vonte lands on that score.

That and when they traded Dareus. That showed that they were not willing to tolerate a player who didn't have his head right and play up to their potential. Still makes me sad though, Dareus has the skills to be a HOF defensive tackle, but he's too much of a chucklehead with no inner hunger to be great.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He spent a few weeks with these guys at training camp.  They are together all day.

I didn't play at the pro level but at the college level.  You get to know these guys pretty quickly.  Within a few weeks with new guys coming in...you become friends quickly.

We had a guy that quit after a few games in.  He was in a bad spot financially so he needed to focus on that.  

He finished the game and then went into the coaches office after.  Explained his situation and that was it.  He said goodbye to everyone and then was the last time I saw him.

I just hate what Vontae did.

Yeah, that's normal.

I'm saying Vontae wasn't normal. He didn't have that normal connection to the team. Probably a personality flaw. Also, he was maybe a little ashamed and couldn't face the other players in that moment, after what sounds like a bit of a mini-breakdown.

I would hate it more if it was a player who was engrained in the organization, but Vontae was just a guy.

• Like (+1) 1