Did “The Drop” in Carolina Derail Zay Jones’s Confidence?

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IMO Zay’s issue isn’t the one drop.  I question if the issue is that he just doesn’t have the mental toughness to handle the rigors of the NFL, ups and downs, focus, etc.   

Agreed.. but as a consolation prize he gets a real slick nickname out of the deal! Zay makes Roberto Duran proud!

Zay "Hands of Stone" Jones.

SWSWSWN!!

Some Will, Some Won't, Someone's Waiting, NEXT! 

Duke Williams?

Edited by Say My Name
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pbomb said:

But it was a bad pass 

No it wasn’t. Watch his stumblin’, bumblin’ route.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

This clip doesn’t show him screwing up the route! There are other, better views that track him, and it was discussed ad nauseum here for a couple of weeks after it happened.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

To me he’s an average depth NFL receiver. He’s inability to separate coupled with the fact he doesn’t have top end speed means he’s not quick enough to play slot, and not fast enough to play on the edges.

His best attribute is his hands if schemed into the offense like he was in college, WR screens / slants / hooks. He will never be more than a 11YPC guy. He could be a guy who plays a decade and amasses 40 reception seasons at around 450 yards and 2-5 TDs per year. 

Because of all these facts I’ve listed, I would still like to see him run deeper decoy routes. We should throw him the occasional 50/50 jump ball given his 6’2” 36.5” vertical. 

Agree.  Physically speaking, Zay Jones is an average NFL guy with nothing that makes him stand out.  Average speed and quickness.  Average size.

When he was a top Buffalo's WR depth chart, he was young and still developing his route running skills.  He struggled with some drops (although this has been massively overblown by the fans).  The Bills also had one of the worst offenses in the league, and could barely generate 1-2 decent drives per game.

Now three years into his career, I think Jones has gotten pretty good as a route runner.  I believe he's gotten past his drop struggles.  And the Bills passing offense is finally showing signs of life.  But now Jones has been pushed down the depth chart, and has become our #3 option at best.

He's not a bad player.  But as a 2nd Round Pick, I think he's always going to be a disappointment from the production standpoint. 

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Do you mean this one?

Yes! Thanks. I mean, what the heck is he doing there? That is the very definition of an uncrisp route. He ran a corner route and the qb saw that he had a clear shot at the ez, and the receiver did not adjust. Granted, it was his second game, so all is forgiven, but a starting receiver has to be better than that. He basically blew an easy TD.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Even Zays  biggest boosters know he is unlikely to make a catch under pressure, mostly because he has the smallest catch radius on the team.  We as fans all want Zay to kick azs,  because that would be awesome for the Bills and Zay, he just hasn’t stepped up. There is so much film evidence of his drops that he stars in the five minutes of drops video. This is why his staunchest supporters are one legged men in an azs kicking contest. 

Go Bills!!!

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It was a great ball actually, it was not a clean route where Zay tripped on his own feet slightly on his cut that threw him just off where he he didn’t get a clean turnaround and wasn’t where he would have been if he hit the route clean.

That might be- I’d have to go look at it. Either way, it wasn’t a drop in the traditional sense, to the OP’s original meaning.

45 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No it wasn’t. Watch his stumblin’, bumblin’ route.

This clip doesn’t show him screwing up the route! There are other, better views that track him, and it was discussed ad nauseum here for a couple of weeks after it happened.

Maybe, but it does show he is bad at tracking the ball....

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yes! Thanks. I mean, what the heck is he doing there? That is the very definition of an uncrisp route. He ran a corner route and the qb saw that he had a clear shot at the ez, and the receiver did not adjust. Granted, it was his second game, so all is forgiven, but a starting receiver has to be better than that. He basically blew an easy TD.

Okay, after watching the video I think you’re wrong. Obviously we won’t know the reality of what was supposed to happen, but it looks like his route was supposed to take him to the outside- the throw was late and on the inside. He tried to adjust and couldn’t. 

8 hours ago, wagon127 said:

The lack of productivity is due to Cole Beasley and John Brown being on the team now. 

True, but what does that say about Zay Jones??

55 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

He just isn’t that good.    

Beane screwed the pooch with Golladay/Kupp/Godwin/Juju all available with no tradeup ??

Zay played at East Carolina, and I’m thinking Beane’s Panthers scouts might have been real familiar with him, likely causing Zay to get a bit overrated by Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

True, but what does that say about Zay Jones??

It is clear this coaching staff is going to be about match ups. Cole had a ton of yards game two, but his targets dropped significantly. Brown is going to be our #1, but he was always meant to be our #1.  When the game calls for it, Zay will get a ton of targets. That is just how modern offenses work. The rest of the time he stays on the field because he runs good routes, he is a superb blocker, and he has a ton of experience with Josh Allen. 

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Okay, after watching the video I think you’re wrong. Obviously we won’t know the reality of what was supposed to happen, but it looks like his route was supposed to take him to the outside- the throw was late and on the inside. He tried to adjust and couldn’t. 

I hate that this argument is being brought up again. The answer requires knowledge that no one here has. Its all garbage speculation. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Nah, we know what happened. Zay ran a poor route, broke the route too flat, and then made a poor adjustment to try to get a hand on the ball. It was on him, he owned it. He was crying about it and getting consoled by a lot of the team vets, Tyrod included. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

What you don't see from that view is Zay stumbling and nearly falling on his face mid-route.

He lost track of his route depth and broke it off short.

The NFL isn't back yard football you need to get to the spot that you were thrown the ball in practice...........surprised that someone your age doesn't know that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What you don't see from that view is Zay stumbling and nearly falling on his face mid-route.

He lost track of his route depth and broke it off short.

The NFL isn't back yard football you need to get to the spot that you were thrown the ball in practice...........surprised that someone your age doesn't know that.

Not sure why you are lecturing me about what a receiver is supposed to do. I never said anything about Zay's route or the throw. As a matter of fact I gave a thumbs up support of your assessment and posted a clip of the play. If you look upthread, you will see I also posted a better clip just of the route - clearly showing Zay stumbling and getting turned around.

It helps to ensure you thoroughly understand a post or the poster's position before responding...surprised that someone with your experience on this board doesn't know that.

• Like (+1) 2