Did “The Drop” in Carolina Derail Zay Jones’s Confidence?

2 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Zay caught a 4th down pass vs Jets? Did we even go for it on a 4th down in that game?

You're right, I misremembered, he converted on 2nd and 10 for 20 yards in the 4th quarter on the game winning drive. Still an important catch. 

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

According to FOXSports, and other sites, he had 3 drops last year. Michael Thomas had 3, Calvin Ridley had 10, Travis Kelcey had 7, Eldelman 8, Julio Jones had 9. Even Gronk had 3.

Kinda overblown IMO.  

Fox sports is wrong. I believe this has been discussed in previous threads. Anyway,yes he had more than 3 drops lol

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I just do not believe in such narratives. It takes a certain level of TRUE confidence to excel in the National Football League, and even more so at WR than a few other positions. If his confidence was rattled by one drop/not a great throw by Tyrod either; then he never had the prerequisite confidence to begin with.

I agree with this, but IMO it may be when he got to the big leagues he got a little shook up all together. As pointed out by some, he had good hands in college but when he got with the big boys those hands faded.

But why? Catching a football is catching a football right? So I just think that "maybe" the pressure of the big leagues may have gotten in his head. I really don't know, but in any event he has been disappointing.

36 minutes ago, Big C said:

You're right, I misremembered, he converted on 2nd and 10 for 20 yards in the 4th quarter on the game winning drive. Still an important catch. 

Yup I do remember that. There’s just nothing about his physical abilities and overall skill set that makes him stand out as an NFL WR. Really just looks like a dime-a-dozen type player. 

14 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Yup I do remember that. There’s just nothing about his physical abilities and overall skill set that makes him stand out as an NFL WR. Really just looks like a dime-a-dozen type player. 

Agreed. But, he is a hard worker, willing blocker, good teammate, etc. I don't think there is a trade market for him, but it does us no good to cut him either. They'll ride out his contract and probably not keep him around unless he improves.

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Agreed. But, he is a hard worker, willing blocker, good teammate, etc. I don't think there is a trade market for him, but it does us no good to cut him either. They'll ride out his contract and probably not keep him around unless he improves.

Yup totally agree. He’s not an asset but really not much of a liability at this point. 

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

No it wasn’t. Watch his stumblin’, bumblin’ route.

This clip doesn’t show him screwing up the route! There are other, better views that track him, and it was discussed ad nauseum here for a couple of weeks after it happened.

Looks like a bad pass to me, has to stop running reach behind him and jump backwards to try to make a very hard catch. Bad  pass from a bad qb 

4 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

Looks like a bad pass to me, has to stop running reach behind him and jump backwards to try to make a very hard catch. Bad  pass from a bad qb 

The QB threw the ball to where the WR should have been.  Zay wasn’t where he was supposed to be and admitted so himself and took 100% responsibility for this play.  It was a great pass and a bad route by Zay.  

2 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Fox sports is wrong. I believe this has been discussed in previous threads. Anyway,yes he had more than 3 drops lol

Fans may feel he had more than 3 drops, but the guys scoring drops have certain criteria, and the balls thrown at Zay and not caught by those criteria numbered 3

I think Zay’s big problem is where he was drafted and the role he was expected to fill on the team.   I think his college WR coach plugged for Zay when he became WR coach for the Bills.  Well, the WR coach wasn’t “all that” in the NFL (only lasted 1 year) and Zay really wasn’t a high 2nd round pick, either.  Then he was brought into a WR room full of castoff vets and scrap heap guys (and Kelvin Benjamin, what a role model there).

Is he a good NFL WR right now?  No, he is not.  Is he trash?  No, not that either.  He’s flashed, he’s obviously still honing his craft this year.  Either he picks it up, or the folks who hypothesize the Bills draft a WR high and move on have something.  But a lot of fan problems with Zay have to do with Juju Smith-schuster.  Except we don’t ask, if Zay spent 2 years playing across from AB with Big Ben throwing to him, would he look any better?  Would JSS look more like Zay if he’d been in his shoes?  Maybe.  Who knows.  Ship has sailed.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fans may feel he had more than 3 drops, but the guys scoring drops have certain criteria, and the balls thrown at Zay and not caught by those criteria numbered 3

I think Zay’s big problem is where he was drafted and the role he was expected to fill on the team.   I think his college WR coach plugged for Zay when he became WR coach for the Bills.  Well, the WR coach wasn’t “all that” in the NFL (only lasted 1 year) and Zay really wasn’t a high 2nd round pick, either.  Then he was brought into a WR room full of castoff vets and scrap heap guys (and Kelvin Benjamin, what a role model there).

Is he a good NFL WR right now?  No, he is not.  Is he trash?  No, not that either.  He’s flashed, he’s obviously still honing his craft this year.  Either he picks it up, or the folks who hypothesize the Bills draft a WR high and move on have something.  But a lot of fan problems with Zay have to do with Juju Smith-schuster.  Except we don’t ask, if Zay spent 2 years playing across from AB with Big Ben throwing to him, would he look any better?  Would JSS look more like Zay if he’d been in his shoes?  Maybe.  Who knows.  Ship has sailed.

Yeah that's all good, but realistically he had more than 3 drops.  Anyways, as far as the other bolded goes, I really don't care about Juju, so I definitely don't fall into that category.

The rest of the post, I can kinda agree with.

21 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Here’s an interesting take that I heard on the Bills Beat podcast.  The hosts were talking about Zay jones and I believe it was Matt Fairburn who wondered whether the dropped pass against Carolina in 2017 messed with Zay’s confidence.

Zay was supposed to be a WR with  some of the best hands in the draft.  He caught everything in college and broke records.  He was thought of to be NFL ready and an immediate contributor.   He was quiet in preseason but as far as I can remember, no one questions his hands. 

But since the drop drop in Week 2 of the season, Zay was inconsistent and couldn’t catch routine passes.  He had an extremely high drop rate which was among the highest in the NFL his rookie year.  

There was one game against NYJ on Monday where it FINALLY looked like he was coming into his own.  But then, he was tripped and left the game with an injury.  

Last year he led the Bills in Receiving but he has yet to eclipse a 100 yard performance.  He also had a few costly drops.  He has contributed at times, but when you consider his draft status, he’s been somewhat of a disappointment at WR.  

So how do you explain the lack of production from Zay?  Is it an issue of confidence?  Or is he just not very good at getting open and catching the ball?

Was at the game and sitting in that end of the end zone.  It was a REALLY tough catch.  It would have been great but I'd hardly call it a drop.

Can't he simply just "suck"?

On 9/18/2019 at 1:35 PM, buffalobillswin said:

Because Tyrod threw the ball it was a bad pass. Had Allen thrown the same ball, it would have been all on Zay. I think we all know why that is.

Because TYrod sucked??

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

“Virtually Every Catch”

Unless I’m right

You have lived long enough and have been around this board enough to know what that means. It's around the 90% range the last several games. Name the last catch he made that he caught cleanly turned up field and gained any kind of yardage. Name the last tackle he broke after he made a catch.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:19 AM, dave mcbride said:

Yes! Thanks. I mean, what the heck is he doing there? That is the very definition of an uncrisp route. He ran a corner route and the qb saw that he had a clear shot at the ez, and the receiver did not adjust. Granted, it was his second game, so all is forgiven, but a starting receiver has to be better than that. He basically blew an easy TD.

I'm surprised he didn't just fall down.  Horrible.