Did “The Drop” in Carolina Derail Zay Jones’s Confidence?

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

According to FOXSports, and other sites, he had 3 drops last year. Michael Thomas had 3, Calvin Ridley had 10, Travis Kelcey had 7, Eldelman 8, Julio Jones had 9. Even Gronk had 3.

Kinda overblown IMO.  

Overblown?  Now go back and check the stats from his rookie season.  He had one of the highest drop rate of any WR.  Then you wonder why he ha a reputation for dropping passes.  

13 minutes ago, WideNine said:

It is interesting how well they nail those later round picks, yet struggle reeling in offensive talent in the early rounds. Ford to me was not going to contribute at RT this year after watching film of him; thought he would best serve at guard for this season. Not the worse thing in the world if he is outplayed and has to ride the pine a bit.

I still think he would do a solid job at guard, but Feliciano is currently playing at a high level so he should be backing up both RG and RT spots as he grows into an NFL calibre o-lineman. Just needs to work on the foot speed if he is manning the edge at RT.

Sends the wrong message if your org feels compelled to play their draft picks if a UFA and/or PS player is out-performing them and it feels like politics when they have Ford as 1st on the RT depth chart when Ty Nsekhe has the edge right now.

I have a theory about the Bills and second round picks:

I believe that there is such a big focus on that first round pick every draft season and there is usually great satisfaction when they get one of those players that they really wanted.........then in the second round they feel like they can afford to address a "need" rather than just take the potentially most impactful player available.

This has seemingly extended to all Bills regimes.

Reaching for needs too often results in failure.  

In years where they haven't had a first round pick they have been astoundingly efficient..............Thurman Thomas,  Sam Cowart,  Roscoe Parrish and Ron Darby............basically 3 for 4 with legitimately exceptional players.   

Small sample size but over the course of the last 60 years the % of misses in round 2 for the Bills is staggering.

I think the mindset is very different without a first round pick.........no longer playing with "house money" so to speak.....it then feels more important to get the potentially most impactful player or BPA in round 2 and subsequently the result is better draft picks.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I don’t know if you really can say that.  Take a look at his game logs.  He has yet to eclipse the 100 yard mark in two years are largely a starting WR.  By NFL WR standards his numbers are very pedestrian - certainly not anywhere near where he should be as a 2nd round pick

I just mean he's had games where he strung some excellent catches together without a bad drop.    No he hasn't had a great one yet.    As @Kelly the Dog pointed out he gets nothing for YAC so eclipsing 100 is very difficult.     When players struggle to catch the ball they tend to leave their feet behind.........he's not the first of those we've had at WR or TE.

16 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Overblown?  Now go back and check the stats from his rookie season.  He had one of the highest drop rate of any WR.  Then you wonder why he ha a reputation for dropping passes.  

Yes, 3 dropped passes last year is overblown to me and I don't wonder about the reputation of a rookie who struggled. Many great ones struggled as rookies and many will in the future.

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I believe that there is such a big focus on that first round pick every draft season and there is usually great satisfaction when they get one of those players that they really wanted.........then in the second round they feel like they can afford to address a "need" rather than just take the potentially most impactful player available.

In years where they haven't had a first round pick they have been astoundingly efficient..............Thurman Thomas,  Sam Cowart,  Roscoe Parrish and Ron Darby............basically 3 for 4 with legitimately exceptional players.   

Small sample size but over the course of the last 60 years the % of misses in round 2 for the Bills is staggering.

I think the mindset is very different without a first round pick.........no longer playing with "house money" so to speak.....it then feels more important to get the potentially most impactful player or BPA in round 2 and subsequently the result is better draft picks.

I don't think that Darby is exceptional. He had a good rookie season and remains the Eagles' best CB, but he's not really that good (he was torched repeatedly on Monday night). He's a solid pro, but he's not as good as, say, Paul Posluzny turned out to be (a guy the Bills traded up for in the second). He was still a good pick given how important quality CBs are. Roscoe was a good punt returner and nothing else. 

Edited by dave mcbride

I just do not believe in such narratives. It takes a certain level of TRUE confidence to excel in the National Football League, and even more so at WR than a few other positions. If his confidence was rattled by one drop/not a great throw by Tyrod either; then he never had the prerequisite confidence to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The greatest reach-for-need failure in the second round I can think of was Travares Tillman. Butler coveted Mike Brown (a great player), but he went in the high 30s. He was all set to draft Deon Grant, but Carolina picked him right before the Bills. He was stuck with the last remaining seemingly capable safety, and he drafted for need. Tillman was terrible. He should have traded up for Brown!

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I don’t know if you really can say that.  Take a look at his game logs.  He has yet to eclipse the 100 yard mark in two years are largely a starting WR.  By NFL WR standards his numbers are very pedestrian - certainly not anywhere near where he should be as a 2nd round pick

The numbers are pedestrian, no doubt, but he has no control over where he was drafted. That's on Beane. Kinda like Shaq getting flack for not living up to a 1st round pick. That's on Rex and crew. 

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I want to thank Bills Fan1959 for providing this clip. It's a lot clearer in this clip what happened to Zay on this route. I would love for you guys/girls to review this clip. Specifically when Zay and the LB that drops into his zone get to the 19 yd line. As Zay begins to make his cut, his left foot makes contact with the right foot of the LB. They BOTH stumble from the contact. This, in turn, throws off the timing of the play and the crispness of the route. Zay is clearly not stumbling over his own feet as some have claimed. Alphadawg, please don't think I'm singling you out for any personal reasons, but I found this quote to be interesting posted by you earlier in this thread:" It was a great ball actually, it was not a clean route where Zay tripped on his own feet slightly on his cut that threw him just off where he he didn’t get a clean turnaround and wasn’t where he would have been if he hit the route clean.". He wasn't where he was supposed to be, that is correct, but IMO that contact as he was just beginning his cut affected the timing and precision of that particular cut. Clearly, he didn't trip on his own feet. I say clearly for two reasons: 1) the video shows it and 2) unless you think the LB tripped over his feet too, he also clearly stumbles as a result of that contact. Again, Alpha, this was not meant to pick on you or meant to be personal. Just pointing out, what to me is an oversight. He probably runs a "cleaner" route, if not for their feet getting tangled enough for both to stumble.

Im not taking your post personal at all bud.  You’re just responding with your thoughts.

I totally get your point here based on this angle, but when this play happened there was closer and clear footage that I believe it showed the LB and Zay did not actually make contact and Zay actually stumbled on his cut over his own foot.  

Thats why so many are were adamant about it, there were other clips that showed clearly his feet on that route.  In this clip, the LB is in between Zays feet and the camera, so you can’t actually see what happened.  

36 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Yes, 3 dropped passes last year is overblown to me and I don't wonder about the reputation of a rookie who struggled. Many great ones struggled as rookies and many will in the future.

Can we please stop this false claim that Zay only dropped 3 passes last year?

How can anyone claim that with a straight face when he is on the Josh Allen dropped passes video last year dropping 8 passes?  And that doesn’t even include the 4 games with Peterman and Anderson.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not taking your post personal at all bud.  You’re just responding with your thoughts.

I totally get your point here based on this angle, but when this play happened there was closer and clear footage that I believe it showed the LB and Zay did not actually make contact and Zay actually stumbled on his cut over his own foot.  

Thats why so many are were adamant about it, there were other clips that showed clearly his feet on that route.  In this clip, the LB is in between Zays feet and the camera, so you can’t actually see what happened.  

Thanks for the reply. I still see contact, but will keep looking for other angles. If you have any, let me know. PM a link if you want/can. I am dropping this, it is more for my curiosity. Thanks again. 

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Thanks for the reply. I still see contact, but will keep looking for other angles. If you have any, let me know. PM a link if you want/can. I am dropping this, it is more for my curiosity. Thanks again. 

Its honestly just splitting hairs anyway, I mean the stumble was clear, the reason is almost irrelevant really.  It just really shows that TT threw the ball to the right spot, I mean even Zay took 100% responsibility for the play after the game.  

Probably pretty tough to find the right footage today anyway given that was 2 years ago.  Maybe in our own thread archives might be a place to look if you want to find out for your own curiosity.  

My biggest issue isnt the one drop, its all the other drops.  I mean this one in question was also his 2nd game as a pro, and at the time I just shook it off as no big deal in terms of his career arc.  But, the rest of that season he couldn't catch a cold, so I think thats why some are wondering if that play rattled his confidence to where it just compounded on itself every time he let that lack of confidence affect another play.  

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't think that Darby is exceptional. He had a good rookie season and remains the Eagles' best CB, but he's not really that good (he was torched repeatedly on Monday night). He's a solid pro, but he's not as good as, say, Paul Posluzny turned out to be (a guy the Bills traded up for in the second). He was still a good pick given how important quality CBs are. Roscoe was a good punt returner and nothing else. 

Darby has been hampered by injuries that have taken a toll.    But he came to the Bills healthy and was certainly exceptional early on.      

4 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

If a drop 2 years ago derailed his confidence, he shouldn't be on this team.

Josh Reed managed to stay on roster until 2009 after his early season 2003 career-yip-inducing drop...........let's hope push comes to shove on Zay prior to 2025.:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

According to FOXSports, and other sites, he had 3 drops last year. Michael Thomas had 3, Calvin Ridley had 10, Travis Kelcey had 7, Eldelman 8, Julio Jones had 9. Even Gronk had 3.

Kinda overblown IMO.  

Already pointed this out to you.  How can he have 3 drops when there are 8 drops alone on video in just the Josh Allen games last year.

He did not under any circumstance only have 3 drops last year.  It’s on film.  

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I'm not sure why you think he is a tepid route runner, the guy is frequently open. But yeah, most of the rest is probably true. 

He does know the routes, but it appears he is out of sync with Allen frequently. Maybe he is not finishing his routes in a fashion that works for our QB, but what ever it is he is doing, he is doing it wrong, and is resulting in low production, ain’t nobody got time for that...

Go Bills!!!

10 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

Because Tyrod threw the ball it was a bad pass. Had Allen thrown the same ball, it would have been all on Zay. I think we all know why that is.

Not true....

Those who’ve declared Zay sux irrespective of qb blame zay

Those who’ve declared TT sux blame TT

those who’ve declared Josh sux would blame josh or insist he would have has a worse throw

A few others would blame it all on McDermott 

and one one or two others would insist Ralph is cheap. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

17 hours ago, Big C said:

I think it weighed on him considerably. However, two years is a long time to have the yips. I hope that's not still holding him back. Zay has been inconsistent, but this year he has made the tough catches he needed to make - notably one to convert a 4th down against the Jets. He is doing a little better this year, so far.

Zay caught a 4th down pass vs Jets? Did we even go for it on a 4th down in that game?