Just Beat the Bengals -- Don't Look Ahead

15 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thanks for the wise ass answer. Read the threads here were so good we should ready for the SB. Sorry playing week by week went over your head

So “one game at a time” applies to us fans, too?  If so, why?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

We the fans can do whatever we want because we aren’t playing. The team has shown zero signs of looking past what is right in front of them. McDermott has them locked in. 

McDermott needs to be locked in at generating a pass rush.  Dalton will beat you if you give him too much time.

33 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

My feeling is go week by week and this week its just beat the Bengals. I love the optimism here and I share it. But don't get ahead of yourself just beat the Bengals and next week the Patriots and the next week The Titans etc etc etc. Just play week by week, I think Josh said that in the post game presser.

I get what you’re saying.

I want to believe but I’m reigning in expectations. 

Week to week keep racking up the wins it’s a long season.  

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We the fans can do whatever we want because we aren’t playing. The team has shown zero signs of looking past what is right in front of them. McDermott has them locked in. 

Harrison Phillips on One Bills live mentioned that a bunch of the guys came in and got started on the Bengals even though it's their off day. This team feels hungry I don't think they're going to look past anyone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Harrison Phillips on One Bills live mentioned that a bunch of the guys came in and got started on the Bengals even though it's their off day. This team feels hungry I don't think they're going to look past anyone.

I don’t even think they would consider it. AFC matchup, home opener - there will be juice 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This too is a critical part of being a fan. Circulating hot air, making unfounded and unsupported opinions sound like facts, and looking ahead to other games with blind optimism. 

With the young, naive and exuberant fan this is understandable.

With age and experience comes wisdom. But for what I'm not sure.

I’m not sure why people feel compelled to tell other fans how to view the team and the season. If there are fans who feel extremely optimistic and want to talk about the Patriots game or possibly  making the playoffs, why should they be told to chill out, it has only been two games, don’t get ahead of yourselves, etc, etc, etc.? Let them enjoy themselves and be, you know, fans.

As for the team, I’m sure they are focusing on the game this weekend.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some fans must have amazing suspension of disbelief to have convinced themselves that when they say “we” in reference to the Bills that they are actually on the team and, as such, should certainly not look past this week’s opponent.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

As a fan, by definition, we are supposed to look ahead. 

Yeah, how fans view the scope of the season doesn't really affect how the games are played.  The team itself, coaches and players know to play one game at at time.  They will focus on the Bengals and shut everything else out this week.

• Like (+1) 1

For the record - I’m not looking past the Bengals. I don’t think that’s really possible in the NFL and the Bills aren’t established to the point of doing that. However,  the Bengals suck. It’s ok to say that. The Bills could certainly still lose to them. Both of these things can be true. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

My feeling is go week by week and this week its just beat the Bengals. I love the optimism here and I share it. But don't get ahead of yourself just beat the Bengals and next week the Patriots and the next week The Titans etc etc etc. Just play week by week, I think Josh said that in the post game presser.

We are not the players. They will be going week to week and not worrying about the next week.  As fans it makes zero difference what any of us do.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

For the record - I’m not looking past the Bengals. I don’t think that’s really possible in the NFL and the Bills aren’t established to the point of doing that. However,  the Bengals suck. It’s ok to say that. The Bills could certainly still lose to them. Both of these things can be true. 

I wouldn't mind if McD starting taking a peak at the Patriots film this week and started mentally preparing a game plan. 

Does anybody really believe that the coaching staff of any team isn’t watching film and developing strategy for ALL opponents? Do you really think that the coaching staff won’t watch Pats  tape until the Bengals game is finished?

Really?

Edited by Jumpsuit Jim
Spelling