Should 12th man on Bills Wall of Fame be changed to Bills Mafia?

BuffaloBill

Should “12th Man” on Bills Wall of Fame be changed to “Bills Mafia”  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Should “12th Man” on Bills Wall of Fame be changed to “Bills Mafia”

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree with you on the 12th man but my solution is to get rid of both.  12th man isn't original to Buffalo and Bills Mafia while belonging to us does not represent the vast majority of us.  I really don't want to be lumped in with drunk fans jumping on top of burning tables.  You can argue that extreme example does not represent all of Bills Mafia but it is what the nation thinks.  No thanks.  Get rid of both.  I've been a been since 1979 and I don't need recognition on the wall.  Just put the players on the wall.  

Take down the 12th Man, put up a bust of Pinto Kenny and be done with it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, thronethinker said:

Indeed I have, many times and the crowd is loud. However, it is not close to the level it used to be when the stadium was at full capacity of 83000+.

On an unrelated side note, I am pretty sure the highest announced capacity at Rich/RWS/New Era in its history was 80,020.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The 12th man isn’t us.  I think it’s pretty stupid that that’s the name on the wall to be honest.  It belongs to other teams

That being said, I’m feel most of the old timers would hate Bills Mafia, so I didn’t vote for that either. 

Maybe wait another 40 years and then change it

Not many older timer than me...and I am all for it! And in 40 years i prolly be 30 years dead

14 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Absolutely NOT! 

Some might think it’s cute but the Mafia name should not be embraced. It’s embarrassing actually. 

Just my 2cents. 

Well , maybe Nanker is older, at least crankier?

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not many older timer than me...and I am all for it! And in 40 years i prolly be 30 years dead

Well , maybe Nanker is older, at least crankier?

Than let’s do!  Mentioning the 12th man to non Bills fans makes them wonder what we’re talking about, that reminds other of Seattle and Texas A&M.  Every nfl fan has heard of Bills Mafia.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

I don't know about that. I went to lots of games in those days, including playoffs. But still, by far the loudest I every heard the stadium was at the Dallas Monday Night game in 2007. My Dad's hearing was literally never the same after that.

That was the loudest I ever heard it as well. Crazy night. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That was the loudest I ever heard it as well. Crazy night. 

i was not at that game, loudest i have heard was Pats game Rex's second year. Caveat being i have uppers, and that game we had to sit lowers due to numbers. Noticable difference i believe between the two levels

15 hours ago, folz said:

During the Super Bowl years, the 12th Man was a real thing, just like Bills Mafia is now. No, we didn't come up with it first, but it meant something and the fans and team embraced it and made it our own. So, I would hate to see that go.

Having said that, I do like the whole Bills Mafia thing now, though my grandfather is probably rolling over in his grave hearing me say that. He hated that the only time Italians were portrayed on TV and in the movies in his day were as mafia members (criminals), which gave a bad name to all of the good, hard working Italian people in our country. But I just take it in the aspect of being a family, protecting your own, defending your turf, etc. And I like that it gives us something to rally around and that it gives the national media and fans of other teams something to latch onto as far as knowing and respecting how die-hard we are as fans (despite the drunken debauchery that it also represents to some).

But, I still wouldn't put it on the Wall. I don't want to change the 12th man and it's not really PC. Not that I care about being PC (that whole thing has become so overblown), I just think in this day and age the team kind of has to be PC.

How is it not pc?? Nobody freaks out over the word mafia and the national media uses it without any sense of negativity.

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I may be in the minority but I cringe at "Bills Mafia."  It's like trying to be cool but it's not.  

it would be if it were forced but the name stuck without any reservations, so i dont see why everyone is suddenly feeling dirty about it. Trust me im no fan of the real mafia but the word has taken on a wider meaning since then. It no different than Gang which is used by the jets and nobody is insulted or offended by that.

No, "Bills Mafia" has too many bad connotations in the media, not least of which is that the "mafia" is a criminal organization.

How about "The Herd". It's team specific. We won't pay royalties to Texas A&M. Logo wear would be cool. It has the added bonus of being a double entendre ("herd" is "heard") in that our opponents hear us!

My 2 cents.

EdW

4 hours ago, BisonMan said:

No, "Bills Mafia" has too many bad connotations in the media, not least of which is that the "mafia" is a criminal organization.

How about "The Herd". It's team specific. We won't pay royalties to Texas A&M. Logo wear would be cool. It has the added bonus of being a double entendre ("herd" is "heard") in that our opponents hear us!

My 2 cents.

EdW

Someone named Colin ruined this.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Than let’s do!  Mentioning the 12th man to non Bills fans makes them wonder what we’re talking about, that reminds other of Seattle and Texas A&M.  Every nfl fan has heard of Bills Mafia.

Yep, nobody at all would make the connection of 12th man to the Bills. I used to travel extensively for work all over the country and everyone knows Billsmafia. If nothing else, I think it’s cool to at least have an identity. What that identity means to people is obviously pretty subjective. 

4 hours ago, BisonMan said:

My 2 cents.

EdW

Marshall football would probably take offense