Should 12th man on Bills Wall of Fame be changed to Bills Mafia?

BuffaloBill

Should “12th Man” on Bills Wall of Fame be changed to “Bills Mafia”  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Should “12th Man” on Bills Wall of Fame be changed to “Bills Mafia”

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s actually an interesting thought and I voted yes. 12th man isn’t us!! Texas A&M owns it (I think) and the Seahawks are the NFL team that everyone identifies with it. It’s like the Bills trying to pretend that, “Trust the Process” is a Bills thing. It isn’t. The whole Bills Mafia thing is us and only us. It’s an all-encompassing term to encapsulate the way that we rally together, good and bad. I ALWAYS prefer things that are ours not things that we took from someone else.

this times 1000

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Bills Mafia is F'ing LAME. Been watching the team since 83 and don't need it. 

It's was a damn hashtag many years ago from a dude (and friends)  that I grew up with for 15years, 4 houses away on my street that I know well.

I,ve been watching the team since 70 and the Rockpile, and I love it! Yes Del started it after the Stevie drop, but it is so much more now. And Del is doing awesome stuff, what a great ambassador for our fanbase and city.

1 hour ago, bmur66 said:

No, I was a 12th man. Not so much Bills Mafia. What exactly is the Bills Mafia's claim to fame other than being drunk, smashing tables and a train horn?

that is the least of what Bills Mafia is known for. Man, some of yall live under rocks????

Here are all the things Bills Mafia is  now known for

1) Loving the team  and city no matter what--loyatly

2) Being tough people...people view the city, the economy, the weather and the sports team to all suck, and yet we show up and have a great time

3) Being the most kind hearted fans in the country...hands down Dalton donations pushed us to the fore

4) Being a great, welcoming place for opposing fans to come and have a great time..and yes that is the perception out there

5) we party hard and tailgate hard..and the table thing has become a parody of itself now..funny as hell..if you cant see it as such on you.

Finally, let me say this. The Bills ownership had much the same view @bmur66, and refused to ever use the name or hashtag. Attitudes have changed, they started using it the #billsmafia on official team tweets this summer...the times, they are a changing!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

12th man seems generic.

Also, fails to account for away games where Bills Loyalists show up in numbers.

What do you think?

tenor.gif

I'd rather Bills Loyalists than Mafia.  JMO 

11 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I think Hell no.

FIFY

hmmmmmmmmm   

How long has the term Mafia been used? 

Any relation to the drought?  

No.

The 12th man is representative of how the fans attending the game could affect the outcome and essentially be another member of the team. This was especially true during the Super Bowl runs.

Bills Mafia is just a generic term for Bills fans who at anytime could be anywhere in the world.

To me Bills Mafia is a fun name that represents a younger generation that have brought fans together on social media.

I like it, I think it's cool when the players mention it. 

Not everybody is going to like every nickname they get, but if this team keeps winning the attention the fans get is going to explode.

6 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

No.

The 12th man is representative of how the fans attending the game could affect the outcome and essentially be another member of the team. This was especially true during the Super Bowl runs.

Bills Mafia is just a generic term for Bills fans who at anytime could be anywhere in the world.

Nationally 12th man says Seahawks now.  Bills Mafia represents all Bills fans to the rest of the country, like it or not.

Walk up to random NFL fan in random city and say I'm an NFL fan, a member of the '12th man' and no one will know what team, or they will assume Seahawks.  

Edited by Aireskoi

1 minute ago, Aireskoi said:

Nationally 12th man says Seahawks now.  Bills Mafia represents all Bills fans to the rest of the country, like it or not.

Walk up to random NFL fan in random city and say I'm a  NFL fan, a member of the '12th man' and no one will know what team, or they will assume Seahawks.  

Right, the bolded part of your statement is exactly what I said.

The OP is about should 12th man be changed to that on the wall of fame. IMHO the answer is no because 12th man is on the wall for the impact the Bills fans actually in that stadium have made during successful Bills seasons. What is on the wall has nothing to do with what the world thinks about Bills fans, it is a nod to everyone who has been at a Bills game and cheered their guts out for the team.

I have no issue with the term Bills Mafia at all. The Seahawks and their theft of 12th man can go pound sand, still doesn't change what we as fans accomplished in our stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Right, the bolded part of your statement is exactly what I said.

The OP is about should 12th man be changed to that on the wall of fame. IMHO the answer is no because 12th man is on the wall for the impact the Bills fans actually in that stadium have made during successful Bills seasons. What is on the wall has nothing to do with what the world thinks about Bills fans, it is a nod to everyone who has been at a Bills game and cheered their guts out for the team.

I have no issue with the term Bills Mafia at all. The Seahawks and their theft of 12th man can go pound sand, still doesn't change what we as fans accomplished in our stadium.

That's where I'm at, 12th man is historic and should stay, and I'm more wait and see as far as adding Bills Mafia permanently to the stadium.  

I think winning has to come or the Bills Mafia name will fade, but if we get some playoff wins and a Superbowl or two the name will be cemented for this generation.

• Like (+1) 2

Bills "mafia" is for dolts who have never opened a history book and likely had significant difficulty finishing high school.

You are more likely to see Doug Flutie and Rob Johnson leading the charge holding hands on Sunday than the 12th Man being replaced on the wall.   

11 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

No.  The 12th man is special.  

We were called that by the greatest teams we ever had.  Coming to Rich Stadium to play the Bills and the 12th man was once a daunting task.  

Even with the decrease in capacity and the relative suckitude of our team over the past 25 years, I’d say Buffalo is still in the top 10 most intimidating places to play!

12 hours ago, thronethinker said:

12th Man really was a factor when Rich Stadium sat 83,000 people in the early 90's and you could completely get in the heads of visiting teams. Crowd noise was much louder then. Bills Mafia is more fitting today.

I don't know about that. I went to lots of games in those days, including playoffs. But still, by far the loudest I every heard the stadium was at the Dallas Monday Night game in 2007. My Dad's hearing was literally never the same after that.

• Like (+1) 1

The 12th man isn’t us.  I think it’s pretty stupid that that’s the name on the wall to be honest.  It belongs to other teams

That being said, I’m feel most of the old timers would hate Bills Mafia, so I didn’t vote for that either. 

Maybe wait another 40 years and then change it

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

this times 1000

I,ve been watching the team since 70 and the Rockpile, and I love it! Yes Del started it after the Stevie drop, but it is so much more now. And Del is doing awesome stuff, what a great ambassador for our fanbase and city.

that is the least of what Bills Mafia is known for. Man, some of yall live under rocks????

Here are all the things Bills Mafia is  now known for

1) Loving the team  and city no matter what--loyatly

2) Being tough people...people view the city, the economy, the weather and the sports team to all suck, and yet we show up and have a great time

3) Being the most kind hearted fans in the country...hands down Dalton donations pushed us to the fore

4) Being a great, welcoming place for opposing fans to come and have a great time..and yes that is the perception out there

5) we party hard and tailgate hard..and the table thing has become a parody of itself now..funny as hell..if you cant see it as such on you.

Finally, let me say this. The Bills ownership had much the same view @bmur66, and refused to ever use the name or hashtag. Attitudes have changed, they started using it the #billsmafia on official team tweets this summer...the times, they are a changing!!!!

OK, OK, OK. If they get rid of the train horn I'll be with the Bills Mafia

• Haha (+1) 2