Strength of Schedule

Orlando Tim

If this team is good then it has to go 3-0. That was my view before the season and still is my view. We must beat the Bengals. I also think it has to beat Tennessee week 5. If we are 4-1 at the bye we are in good shape. If we are 3-2 then we are still, in my view, a hover around .500 team. That wouldn't rule out making the playoffs but it would be as a likely 1 and done 9-7 team. To be a good team who is a legitimate danger to the better sides we need to be 4-1.

10 hours ago, djp14150 said:

road wins fins

can win..browns, titans , Steelers 

road losses..cowboys, patriots 

home wins...fins, jets,  broncos, redskins , Bengals 

can win...Baltimore, Philadelphia, New England 

Not an unreasonable assessment. With the games we should win, that gives us 8 - 8

Browns, Titans and Steelers are all currently inconsistent, and it's yet to be determined if Rudoph can step up. We could win or lose any of those.

Ravens are a team we generally play close, and we will certainly be in with a shout at home.

Philly and the Cheaters are unlikely to be wins, but you never know how Wentz is going to hold up, Philly at home is not necessarily unwinnable.

If we take care of business against the Bungles, I'll like our chances against the Cheaters  lot more, but it will still only be thinking we have a chance, unless something untoward happens to them in the mean time. Unfortunately they have started this season in end of year form, and that's going to make it very difficult. If we are  - 0 at that point, they are really going to be trying to make a statement, in an effort to knock our season back.

Overall, I now like our chances of getting to 10, or maybe 11 wins, but we need to keep healthy to do so. There are a lot of teams being hit by injuries to important starters atm, and we need to avoid that.

For as much as the prognosticators like to think they have it figured out, they really don't. Except for the Pats, Chiefs, and Cowboys imo the rest of these rankings have been wide open. Injuries happen. Teams take a step back in some instances. Schedules change on a yearly basis outside of your own division. They like to put teams in places for their own "reasons" or are simply regurgitating someone else's ideas. They rank schedules according the way teams seemed to perform in the previous year. But truth is until you get about 4 weeks into the season, it's really hard to judge which teams are going where. Even then teams can get hot or they can go cold. The two years the Giants won the SB with Eli they got hot at the right time, made the playoffs as a WC team, and rode the wave to two victories over NE. Let's get a win against Cincy, hope injuries remain at a minimum, and keep this mojo going one week at a time. 

14 hours ago, Mango said:

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from this team. However we have beaten 2 of probably the bottom 5 teams in the league by a whopping 15 points. Until the defense neutralizes a very good offense, or the offense can go toe to toe in a shoot out, I still think we are hovering around .500. 

Cincy will I’ll be an interesting test. The. Seahawks should be decent this year (and built similarly to us) and they played them tough. Then got smoked by the 49ers. So we don’t know a ton about who is good right now. Just who is absolutely bottom of the barrel. 

For perspective, if the Bills win Sunday, and assuming the Giants really are terrible, Bills opponents will be 0-9. Not what anybody would call impressive. We could be the real deal. We could also have NE work us at home 42-17. We know nothing yet. 

My point is along the line of simply being average gets us wins against all those teams, if we get rolled by NE I will know where we are but it seems 40 percent of our schedule is in category we should certainly win.

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We just need to be in contention by Thanksgiving Day when the wife and I are going to be in Dallas for our annual Road Trip weekend. Is that too much to ask?

I would be shocked if that is not true- I expect no more than 3 losses by then.

When the season first started, I was really worried about December.  But the Steelers losing Big Ben and to be honest, didn't look good with him in there anyway.  And the Jets are the Jets.  

4-1 at the bye puts us in really good shape....we have the Dolphins next.

We would just need to get 5 wins in after that...which includes the Dolphins and Jets again.  The Eagles, Skins, Browns, Broncos are all very winnable games.

The Cowboys, Ravens and Pats are the really tough ones. 

But it's just week 2....a lot can happen and change.

D4ZLFlcWAAEHn-8.jpg

14 hours ago, MJS said:

I thought we had an easy schedule since it came out. But I'm sure all our opponents saw the Bills on their schedule and said "That should be a win."

Every year, even the winning teams lose some they should win and win some they should lose.

on average only 2 teams repeat as a division winner for the 7 "non-Pats" divisions

Edited by row_33